Recent content by Philo

1. P

The "Satisfying" round

Last week I established a new personal best for 9 holes and tied my best 18 hole score relative to par. Today, I posted a score 4 strokes higher (that included a penalty stroke) and I think the round was actually more satisfying. I did not hit more than 3 or 4 really good drives or approaches...
  2. P

Happy New Year - 9 holes under par

After 35 yrs of futility, I finally have a 9 hole score under par. Darkness cut short the back nine so we'll have to finish up tomorrow. Currently 1 over after 4 holes due to a 3 whack. This game would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to drive or putt. Two best golf purchases I've ever...
  3. P

Increase AVG drive 15 yds in 90 minutes

1. Take stock R11s at 45.75" and cut it down to 44.25" 2. Install 'lite' grip and heavier 'MWT' weights to recapture swingweight 3. Wait approx 60 minutes for grip tape to dry and secure the grip 4. Head to range and hit small bucket to tweak ball position and get used to new feel and...
  4. P

A lesson on minimalism

I currently 'live' in Japan until mid August but am home with my family through the 26th. My clubs are in Japan but the weather was nice and my son asked if I wanted to go golfing. For all the obvious reasons I said 'yes' and we went to the garage to see what I could cobble together as the...
  5. P

Stronger lie and bounce

As a rule of thumb, will strengthening the loft of clubs 1 degree have any practical effect on bounce on the typical player cavity type head? In doing this is there a corresponding rule of thumb to tweak the lie a skosh one way or the other as a result? I understand the actual effect on both...
  6. P

MP-53 and/or JPX 800/825 Pro feedback?

Can anybody give me a first hand performance comparison b/w the MP53 and one of the JPX Pro models - specifically the long/mid irons? I have 5-W in MP64 inbound. I'd like a closely matched 4 iron in something a little less demanding and may even get a 5 and 6 to have more options and cover the...
  7. P

WARNING: Mizuno MP-64

Do not hit the Mizuno MP-64 unless you are ready to buy on the spot. Unbelievable feel, superb ball flight, and reasonably tolerant of slight misses to the toe or thin. The last clubs I hit that felt this good were Hogan Apex from the early '90s. The MP-64 head with a PX 5.5 seemed perfect...
  8. P

LMs and simulators - overrated, differences, etc

No axe to grind - hoping for an education. I have re-tooled this year and spent significant time at both indoor and outdoor facilities. In my area, there are three LMs/simulators and they provide fairly significant disparity for my swing (even across a reasonably robust data set and a...
Back