Recent content by RecGolfer

1. RecGolfer

Hogan the Humorist

I read something in Hogan's Five Lessons that made me chuckle, or roll my eyes. In writing about the grip, he mentioned a few modifications he made to the general advice he lays out in the book. He stresses that they are personal to him by saying, "That is, they were beneficial for me and I...
  2. RecGolfer

Beginner Looking for General Swing Advice

Get lessons.
  3. RecGolfer

What Are You Working On?

Wedges. I'm hitting nothing but wedges.
  4. RecGolfer

What's your low rent guilty pleasures

Canned tamales and cottage cheese.
  5. RecGolfer

Growing the game of Golf...what’s does it mean to you?

Finding ways to get young people (grade schoolers) involved is one way. It for sure doesn't mean taking millions of dollars from Saudis.
  6. RecGolfer

What Are You Working On?

My sand wedge. That's all I have hit for the past five weeks. I'm getting really good at controlling the clubhead through impact, which is what the game is all about.
  7. RecGolfer

How much does watching football mean to you?

Somethin' to do. If it went away forever I wouldn't miss it. And I had season tickets to Oregon Duck football games from 2001-2020.
  8. RecGolfer

Ever just have that day?

The only days I remember are the ones when everything went right. It's good for athletes to have a selective memory.
  9. RecGolfer

Take more club and swing easier - or - take less club and swing harder…?

Trying to hit it harder takes my out of my normal swing tempo and ruins everything. Also, easing off for me results in a sloppy swing. I take the longer club, grip down, and swing normally. But I do have a story ... The Men's Club had a three clubs and putter day. I picked a 2-hybrid, 7-iron...
  10. RecGolfer

Should short knockers play faster than bombers?

I hit 235 off the tee. I played from the appropriate tees. All par 4's are two-shotters, all par 5's are three shotters. I don't have to take extra shots to get to the green on any hole. I play the hole as it was designed. When I get shorter over time, I'll move up a set of tees and play the...
  11. RecGolfer

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons

Being able to hit the ball off the ground when it is that far forward is beyond the athletic capabilities of many recreational golfers.
  12. RecGolfer

Gankas "That's how easy the golf swing is."

The golf swing is so easy once you have learned how to do it and have done it so often that good swings are just the simplest thing. But that is a unified feel that you have absorbed, which defies explanation to anyone, even yourself. All you can say is, I don't really know how I do it, I just...
  13. RecGolfer

Do You Aim Correctly?

Yes. The first thing I practice every time I go to the range, before I hit even one ball, is my aim.
Back