Recent content by SkidPlate

1. SkidPlate

Started with golf - looking for swing advice / really appreciate your help

Three main things I'd work on... 1. Shorten swing to no more than 3/4 of what you are doing now. Less even better. The mental concept of having to get the club parallel at the top is a huge learning impediment imo. In your case, your hips open way up in order to do so, making it near impossible...
  2. SkidPlate

Swing Advice

Welcome! Just something I enjoy doing.
  3. SkidPlate

Swing Advice

The red line under your chin shows how much you have raised up at impact (compare to tree horizon line). Blue line shows arm/shaft angle. It's a matter of geometry. Club inertia will naturally make the arms and shaft line up. That makes the distance from your shoulder to the ball longer, so you...
  4. SkidPlate

OGputtnfool's 2019-2020 offseason swing rebuild

After reading through the thread, it's easy to point out you have too many swing thoughts going on, while the fundamental problem has already been noted, but has not been impacted with all the "changes": I really respect your efforts to re-build. It takes a lot of dedication and overcoming...
  5. SkidPlate

Advice for New Golfers

If such is available, take a class on etiquette and course management. In my day, we learned it by caddying for our fathers. Ask your club pro to schedule a class if he/she doesn't already have them scheduled.
  6. SkidPlate

Changing My Hand Position

For what it's worth, I returned to 10 finger a few years ago; it's the way I first gripped a club at 13 or 14 yrs of age (71 now). At about 15 or 16, I read, "How To Play Your Best Golf All The Time" by Tommy Armour, and changed to overlap, shown in his book. I can't remember exactly why I went...
  7. SkidPlate

Off Topic Research Poll

This will only take a second. Research into collapse of the buildings in New York City on 9/11/01 is a hobby+ of mine. It will help me immensely for as many members of THP to answer the question as possible. I'm trying gauge public knowledge/sentiment on the collapse of Building 7 specifically...
  8. SkidPlate

Ohio, Indiana & Surrounding Area chat thread

Any old timers here from the Cleveland area played at Big Met? I'm trying to find out the name of the head pro back in the mid 1970's; a tall white haired gentleman. I took a memorable lesson from him once, and would like to have his name for my writings. I called the club house, but they didn't...
  9. SkidPlate

mtbloco swing critique....I hope.

Here's a great drill for getting the feel of having body and arms synced up; using the core to swing the club. Do it dry a few times, but then actually hit some balls with it; little pitch shots. Keep your arms and hands quiet but loose. It helps define what your take-away and impact should feel...
  10. SkidPlate

Do I have a reverse pivot ?

I haven't seen your question answered directly yet, so thought I'd chime in. No, you are not reversing. Close, but not a reverse. Canadian called it with his "Second critical note": You have a form of a sway, where your weight gets to the outside of your trail (right) foot. It's most noticeable...
  11. SkidPlate

Where is Jimmy Ballard?

I emailed David Ladd: He replied: I'm not going to call Ballard, but if you do, be sure to let us know here what you learned. Thanks.
  12. SkidPlate

Where is Jimmy Ballard?

As of August 2018, he was at The Champions Club in Stewart, Fl. There is no mention of Ballard on their site now however. Maybe a phone call to pro David Ladd will provide an answer. (772) 283-1500 https://www.thechampionsclubgolf.com/instruction/
  13. SkidPlate

My Golf lessons and progress

A good physical therapist might be the place to start then. He/she can help you learn how to "tuck the tush". It's near impossible to engage the leg muscles correctly otherwise. I learned this from a PT years ago, and it saved my lower back.
  14. SkidPlate

Have any of your coaches talked about your hips at set up? Your tush is sticking out, which creates an inward bow in your lower spine, and makes it near impossible to get into a balanced, athletic position. If you look at most any of the great golfers dtl at set up, the lower 2/3 of their spine...
  15. SkidPlate

They are among the longest hitters too. I refer to it as "square to path", which is why I chose the screen pic I did. At that position in the follow through, it feels like the right palm is facing up, gently pitching the ball down range. Rolling the wrists has been around a long time as a fix to...
Back