Recent content by Slammin'SAM

1. Slammin'SAM

Will You Replace Your Driver in 2024?

I know I need to because I am 70 and swing speed has fallen from 111 at 50 to around 90 now and my driver shift is still XS. But, it is the straightest driver I ever owned and at my swing speed am I really going to gain much over my 230 or so I hit it now?
  2. Slammin'SAM

Which Color?

I’m going white w/ black trim.
  3. Slammin'SAM

The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

While the PGAT does not control the majors, the OWGR does somewhat control much of who gets into the fields of the majors. Some if not most of the top LIV players will continue to make the fields because of past performance in them. The Sergios and the Henriks will get mostly phased out, but...
  4. Slammin'SAM

What did you shoot today?

Played my second round of the year with my long time partner. He lives near Tampa but comes to Augusta twice a year to work Masters week as a volunteer and then to have his play day at the AN. We played at Gordon Lakes on Fort Gordon (soon to be Fort Eisenhower) where I won 10 club championships...
  5. Slammin'SAM

The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

I have to chime in here and say that the performance of the LIV players in the 2 majors this year are going to force the OWGR to recognize and award ranking points to that tour. Because many of that tours players are clearly past their prime or not yet truly established as worthy and because the...
  6. Slammin'SAM

First time out in six months, second round of the year. Absolutely no clue on the front nine 6 bogeys, 2 doubles, and polished it off with an ugly triple for +13 49. Went to the back nine and yanked tee shot into 18th fairway, and topped my 200 yd approach about 60 yd. Then out of nowhere I hit...
  7. Slammin'SAM

First round of the year today and first in over 10 months. I hit 4 7 irons yesterday to see if golf was do-able with my right hip tendonitis, and to my happy surprise swinging was painless. Started out at 0840 temp around 45° F and breezy, which turned into windy by the third hole. I played the...
  8. Slammin'SAM

In your opinion... who can be called a “good player”..?

Anyone who respects the game, the course, and his/her playing companions is a good golfer. I have played with a +5 handicapper who went on to have a successful senior pro career after a stellar amateur record who cursed loudly and and kicked tee markers and jammed in flags (while shooting 69 in...
  9. Slammin'SAM

Official Rant of the Day

It was pretty good news from the orthopedic visit, as the implant and bone structure are totally intact and showing no wear. I have a pretty good case of hip flexor tendonitis, and he wants to treat it with a change of my daily NSAID from meloxicam to diclofenac, and some stretching exercises...
  10. Slammin'SAM

Official Rant of the Day

Right hip replaced going on 8 years ago, left hip going on 5. A windstorm about 5 weeks back covered my backyard with tree debris that took about a week of after work afternoons to clean up, and sometime in the process I aggravated something in my right hip area. No one moment with a snap or a...
  11. Slammin'SAM

I wonder if any THP’ers have...

I left this out in my ANGC experience, but you reminded me with this post. The member instructed us to not tip the caddies, that he takes care of all that. That may have been the rule in 1984 and not now, but I suspect it hasn't changed. My caddy was excellent and the two vendors had essentially...
  12. Slammin'SAM

Golf Marketing Flops?

Back maybe '79 or '80 I got a dozen Wilson Advantage balls as a gift back in the day when I could really move it. Got on the first tee and let it rip, and hammered it down the middle - ball floated out about 180 and fell out of the sky. Got to it and looked at it - it was cracked on the seam...
  13. Slammin'SAM

Pre-Shot Routine: Too Slow, Too Fast, Just Right?

I don't really count the practice swing part because I can still be moving around or even talking during that part. I do time fellow players and I start when the address position is taken, which was really cut from this video. That said, he was at address to contact for about 10-11 seconds - in...
  14. Slammin'SAM

The 60 and over Thread

Once upon a time I could play this game pretty well, playing 4 years of high school golf and one on my jr. college team before transferring to Georgia Southern and trying to walk on as a sophomore (the coach dismissed my effort saying he recruited his team and was going with it). So from 19-24 I...
  15. Slammin'SAM

Turn it up! What song?

The Great Gig in the Sky more recently Miss Independent - Kelly Clarkson
Back