Recent content by [snow]

1. S

Trying to Break 100

Played in a scramble today. Got paired with a 40 hcp who had previous experience playing in his youth. That was pretty fun. Playing partner was a great supplement to me own volatile play. Shot 82, 2nd place for our combined hcp group :D
  2. S

How many birdies do you want to make in 2021?

4/30 5i, 8i, putt from ~12 feet was trying to barely squeak by. Took a peek in and fell down, poor thing. Had several opportunities today. Hope this keeps up over the week. Paid time off, hooray
  3. S

Trying to Break 100

According to my handicap, i should be working to break 90, i guess. In reality, still working on consistency. Played a leisurely 9 holes stuck behind a couple of groups with 2 separate balls. The best scores add up to 41, the worst to 54. Quite the spread :unsure:
  4. S

Do you call penalties on others?

Had the weirdest experience in my last competition. Played with 2 old guys. Old old, both 70+, one almost 80. They knew each other for years and had seemingly established a certain cheating threshold. Couldn't watch too closely for fear of accidentally mimicking their crab-man swings. Favorite...
  5. S

Trying to Break 100

18 Hole competition at my club today. Shot 99 (stableford scoring, counting 3 dnf at the 0pt limit), coming in tied 1st place in my handicap class (20+) back office entered my 5 at the last hole as a 9, so it's officially 102 and third place until (if!) they fix it. :rolleyes: club president...
  6. S

Trying to Break 100

Weird day. Windy. Had my first encounter with a marshall in 5ish months of membership. Didn't even know they had those here, whoops. So the good man sent me packing to collect my bag tag. Having returned, i still managed to walk 16 holes, cutting 16 and 17 out to return on the last glimpses of...
  7. S

How many birdies do you want to make in 2021?

3 down, 27 to go par 4 4th, 370m. Driver, 9i and a little luck on the 4m putt. par 3 12th, 132m. 9i and a good 1.5m putt ALMOST capitalised on a nice drive down our short par 5 7th. 430m - but knocked the hero 5w attempt behind and right of the green. On the edge of OB, too. Settled for par...
  8. S

Trying to Break 100

shot 96, 46/50 starting on the back 9. 1 lone par on the scorecard. Oh, yes, i got an actual scorecard to commemorate the occasion, alongside my usual ruddy notepad. It tried to get away from me, especially in the second half where i 3-putted three times, hit a ball into the water just quietly...
  9. S

Single Playing Through

competition takes priority; randoms shouldn't be between competition flights. Full course in general? I've played behind groups and had fun. as a single, play multiple balls. it's all good practice. i did previously quit and take the shortcut back to the clubhouse when the league players in...
  10. S

Trying to Break 100

had a pretty good time today. 46 through the front 9, went on through 5 more for a total of 78 - 21 left to get through 3 par 4s and 1 par 3... collected a double on the 2nd because i'm bad and a triple on the par 4 4th by skulling a ball through the green from a ~40m bunker shot and being...
  11. S

Trying to Break 100

Just wanted to get a range session in for the evening, but i guess it was team training day or something. entire length taken up. Went round the front 9, no warmup or anything, haven't swung a club in a week due to our excessive rain. Course has been open for a couple of days, but is still...
  12. S

Bryson's Driver

but at what cost
  13. S

2021 Open Championship Contest and Thread

The wedges have been awful for Bryson several tournaments in a row now. Any particular reason he wouldn't purposefully try to leave himself longer shots into the greens instead of banging it out there into his woeful wedge range? (and/or the rough)
  14. S

Trying to Break 100

47 through 9 today. Blew up the 2nd with an "other" (9) via some military golf on approach shots 3/5. Aligned wrong, hit straight into penalty area. Rehit from same spot, aligned for the pin on the left side of green, got the draw and OB it went :) Otherwise quite content with how my day went...
  15. S

How recently were you fit for clubs?

I had a "fitting" as a beginner after my first couple of lessons. "Yep, fats everything. Here's your set of shovels. next!" I may go get fit when i make it to the single digits, just for the good vibes, but really... factually, i don't believe it has a significant impact beyond the mental.
Back