Recent content by subvet

1. subvet

What did you shoot today?

89. played pretty well but for the 3 duffed chips in a row resulting in the triple bogey on #10. that was my blow-up hole. only one other hole with more than a bogey (double) on #17. tee shot lost in the middle of the fairway :( probably under a leaf somewhere. three 3-putts and only 1 up...
  2. subvet

Best Way to Cook Hot Dogs

we would electrocute them when I was a kid. cooked from the inside out. surprisingly good. then we'd go out and play lawn darts
  3. subvet

Chicken Wings - What’s your choice?

my tastes change over time. my preference (lately) with wings are naked, bone-in flats, fried or grilled but done extra-crispy (meat well done) with a little hot sauce and a little ranch on the side, and I mix them to taste. I actually prefer the same approach with barbeque. I've always...
  4. subvet

Auto Racing Thread

our first Indy 500 this year. the wife scored 4 tickets in a silent auction at work sponsored by Clabber Girl. We had use of their hospitality tent and had front row seats on turn 1. very cool for us. it was blisterin hot but we lathered up with SPF55 and drank a lot of water and had a great...
  5. subvet

it's TT time

wasn't sure where to put this so I put it in sports. end of May-beginning of June is the Isle of Man TT. The greatest motorcycle racing event in the world. This place is on my bucket list. I want to go there, see the island, see the races and take pictures before I die. If you are a...
  6. subvet

FS: Sun Mountain Club Glider Cascade travel bag. Black

Brand new in plastic bag/box. Never used. We already have 2 other similar bags the wife and I use. Bought this one as a gift and the person doesn't golf now. It's been packed away in the garage for several years and I'd like to get rid of it. These are great travel bags. Fold-out wheels make...
  7. subvet

advice needed: caring for a blind dog

we have a 7 y/o Sheltie with cataracts. he can still recognize some movement in his left eye, but his right eye is completely clouded and wont even dilate/respond to light stimulus. So he's just about totally blind now. The odd thing is how quickly it came on. I started noticing him having...
  8. subvet

school me on New Mexico

Hi all, next June, subwife hits the big 6-oh and I want to take her somewhere special. She's never been to the southwest US and has an interest in seeing New Mexico. I've been there on family trips when I was a little kid...that was a loooong time ago. All I remember from those days was the...
  9. subvet

Laurel View. Hamden, CT

We lived in the Hamden, CT area for a few years back in the mid-90s. Played a little golf during that time but was more busy climbing the corporate career ladder. The wife and I were new empty-nesters and were looking for what do with our lives. I'd always loved golf but she wasn't interested...
  10. subvet

FS: Sky Caddie SGX

Selling my SGX. This is not the wireless version. Reason for selling: I play the same course all the time and know the layout so really have little use for this gizmo any longer. I like it, and I like the way you can track scores, handicap, etc...through SkyCaddie's website but it just...
  11. subvet

Speed golf

I heard an interesting piece on the car radio this morning on my way to the golf course. Speed Golf, and an upcoming tournament on it. Players hit and then run to their shot. The record and best score is a 65 for 18 holes, in a 44 minute round. Pretty astounding in my opinion. I thought it...
  12. subvet

Whats decent in Fort Walton?

The wife and I are heading to Ft. Walton the middle of next week with some friends for a long weekend and are looking for some advice on golf in the area. I'm looking more for value than a high-end golf "experience" so am open to munis and/or other public courses. I'm Googling stuff now but...
  13. subvet

Need a 4th for a charity scramble in Nashville this weekend

Hey all you Music City THPers, my wife hosts an annual golf scramble to benefit Home for Our Troops. One of the guys in my 4-some has to work this weekend so I'm looking for a 4th if anyone is interested. We tee-off at noon on Sunday 9/16/12 at Country Hills in Hendersonville. PM me if you're...
  14. subvet

Anyone played the courses in French Lick, IN?

I'm considering a long weekend getaway for subwife and I for our upcoming anniversary in mid-August. The hotel(s) and courses look great....wondering if anyone here is familiar with the area and has suggestions.
  15. subvet

hi from music city

Hi folks, new to the site and checking in. I was introduced to golf by my dad as a young teen and have been at it for almost 40 years although there have been some really long stretches where the clubs gathered dust. Currently, I'm hovering around a 16-17 handicap and am playing pretty...
Back