Recent content by swark

1. swark

How much distance do you give up by hitting 3 wood vs. driver from tee?

Genuinely interested in this thought-process - if this is your logic, is there any reason you don't (or perhaps you do!) always just tee off with a five iron on every par 4 and par 5? I have done some quick maths and reckon there is about 75 yards (68 metres) between my driver and five iron. I...
  2. swark

Best Monty Python Movie

Nah - Holy Grail it is. Life of Brian was good, but Grail is legendary.
  3. swark

Choosing Your Golf Ball?

Each year or so I will get a sample of the new versions of the main lower spinning 'tour' options. I will start with chipping and putting around the practice green, and start ruling out balls depending on their feel and performance. I will then progress to a full wedge shot to see how they spin...
  4. swark

How much distance do you give up by hitting 3 wood vs. driver from tee?

I think that the normal distance difference is about 2-3 clubs. What I think you need to consider is whether the course (or tees) you regularly play from is going to be substantially harder if you are hitting a 3-4 hybrid into every par 4, rather than a 7-iron, even if you do hit the fairway...
  5. swark

A game - pick the ball by the spin

Prior to watching the videos, I would have agreed with you 100%. And I still 'largely' agree with you. However, my prior judgement has always been based on where the balls have ended up, and without really taking into account how they got there. Prior to watching how they reacted on the green...
  6. swark

No point extended this any further: 1. Top Flite 2. ChromeSoft 3. ProV1x A number of people were surprisingly accurate (more than I would have been) with their guess, with Fufflemaster and G-Man probably the closest. As a general comment, I was genuinely surprised by the different ways that...
  7. swark

No-one has it correct so far, but I can confirm that each of the balls has been mentioned as a possibility (ie. there isn’t a Tour B X or AVX).
  8. swark

You give me WAY too much credit - I was just mucking about ...
  9. swark

Also, good point about my failure to adequately identify the balls in the initial picture: Titleist ProV1, ProV1x and 2020 AVX (labelled TEST) Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Taylor Made TP5X Bridgestone Tour B X Maxfli XS Tour TopFlite XL Callaway ChromeSoft and ChromeSoft X
  10. swark

Apologies - I had to shrink the video files to allow upload. If you click on the actual video, you should be able to make it full-screen and easier to see. The balls comes in from the right of screen, so the first ball hit and released while the other two spun back.
  11. swark

Ball number 3 - ball lands towards left of screen
  12. swark

Ball number 2 - ball lands near middle of screen
  13. swark

Ball number 1 - ball lands far right of screen
  14. swark

I think that we are all going a bit crazy with the current events in the world, so a bit of fun (perhaps). We all know that certain balls spin more than others around the greens. I did an experiment today with three different balls just to see what actually happened on the green. I will upload...
Back