Recent content by TxAggie2018

1. TxAggie2018

Really random: which pocket?

I don't play with a glove. And I'm really weird, because if I do play with a glove (cold weather, a cut on my hand, something like that), I play with 2 gloves. Having one hand covered and one bare feels weird. So I just run around the course looking like Mickey Mouse for 4 hours.
  2. TxAggie2018

Where is your game?

I'm feeling good about it! I started keeping a handicap in January, just so I could put something quantitative behind my game. I'm at a 23 right now, but 3 of my last 5 rounds had diffs of 21. Things are trending in the right direction. Driving has been great... my 13* mini driver is a legit...
  3. TxAggie2018

What are the Muni's in your area charging these days?

San Diego munis are $90-$100 for a good course and $60 to play a goat track. It's a desert with $600k condos. I don't know how the courses even manage to stay open.
  4. TxAggie2018

Do You Trust Sponsored Reviewers?

I don't even watch those review videos. For one, golf is a lot more about the Indian than the arrow. I've done a little club ho'ing, and all it really did was convince me to not club ho, because the differences weren't that great. Your swing is 90% of the formula. For another, the quantitative...
  5. TxAggie2018

Is driving or putting harder? The math...

Yep. I've heard it put before as "the world's best putter may not be playing on the PGA Tour. But the world's best ballstriker definitely is."
  6. TxAggie2018

Game improvement equipment ?

Looking them up, the anti-chunk wedge is just a new spin on the old Alien wedge. In short, the design works. Alien sold a billion of them on 90s infomercials, and Cleveland and Callaway use very similar designs for their own SGI wedges. I bag one of the Cleveland ones... it's fun. The...
  7. TxAggie2018

Wedge game is bad

Distance control with wedges is all all motor learning, and motor learning is perishable. You probably won't be clean-whiffing the golf ball any time soon, but a winter without practice will cause you to lose that sharp edge. If your low point and contact are good, the best thing you can do is...
  8. TxAggie2018

Do you underestimate how much the golf ball changes things?

Nah, I don't think it matters for me. Drag increases by the square of velocity, so a ball flying off the driver at 180 MPH would feel 2.2x more drag force than a ball at 120 MPH. So at high speed, the aerodynamic changes of different spin rates, dimple depth, etc, become much more pronounced...
  9. TxAggie2018

Why do I even bother with driver?

Curving the ball left and right on command is some really hard stuff. If you have your face control, path control and low point that dialed in, you are already playing some very good golf.
  10. TxAggie2018

Tee up Wedges on Par-3s?

I've found the same thing. Don't know if having a ball sitting up encourages me to flip at it or what. Even for better golfers, a tee has got to naturally increase the launch angle, right?
  11. TxAggie2018

Winter full of sim swings: Will it translate to the course?

There are days where I feel the same way! Shots with the ball above my feet screw me up hard.
  12. TxAggie2018

I thought about mentioning that, but thought it was a driving range in general thing rather than a mat thing. It's really tough to get practice reps off of uneven lies outside of the course.
  13. TxAggie2018

Mats have their problems, but if you are making ball-first contact on a mat, you'll be making ball-first contact on the course.
  14. TxAggie2018

Does Rick Shiels Move The Needle?

I don't watch Youtube golf in general, but advertisers aren't giving Rick money out of the goodness of their hearts. People are definitely listening to him.
  15. TxAggie2018

What is the hardest shot in golf?

Either bunker shots off a downslope, or a downslope pitch shot to a green that's running away from you.
Back