New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Have I mentioned how much I love these irons? As in...really really love them.

The only issue I had previously was that I always felt like the shafts were slightly heavy and I was fighting them the whole time. I've gone down to a more lightweight shaft, still in stiff, and the results are immediate. Much more height, and now when the ball hits the green it actually stops somewhere close to where it landed which never really happened before. I feel like I'm not losing any distance, but it takes so much less effort to launch them and get them out to where they need to be. And the feel? Gorgeous.

5th.png

A prime example. Didn't miss a par 3 green all night yesterday, and they just felt butter soft when struck.

I love these irons.

I'm still my Copper FTs well in general. Although they are wearing so quickly I invested in head covers the other day, something I normally don't approve of.

But I have had a nagging feeling that whilst all is rosy with the mid-irons (9-6), I haven't been hitting the PW and especially the GW as well.

According to Arrcos I was hitting the green with 82% of my GW approaches when I gamed PXG 0311s and as a result was absurdly confident around 100-110 out. Recently that seems to have dropped a lot.

Anyone else having issues at the bottom of the bag?

I'm still my Copper FTs well in general. Although they are wearing so quickly I invested in head covers the other day, something I normally don't approve of.

But I have had a nagging feeling that whilst all is rosy with the mid-irons (9-6), I haven't been hitting the PW and especially the GW as well.

According to Arrcos I was hitting the green with 82% of my GW approaches when I gamed PXG 0311s and as a result was absurdly confident around 100-110 out. Recently that seems to have dropped a lot.

There was talk early on of guys having issues with GW gaping and consistency I believe.

I had no problems with the set gap wedge but i already had a jaws md5 in that slot and preferred to keep that one in the bag instead of the set gap wedge. The PW i hit great no issues with that club.

I love popping in to this thread every once in awhile and seeing how much everyone are loving these clubs, especially the MCers with the copper!

I had these last year and they were some of the best irons I ever had. The feel and the distance were pretty unmatched. I ended up moving on from them this year but not because I didn't love them. I actually moved them to one of my good friends and his iron game is leaps and bounds better than it has been in the past.

These are some special clubs and I'm just pumped to see the renewed excitement in this thread!

There was talk early on of guys having issues with GW gaping and consistency I believe.

I went with a 52 degree wedge last year in place of the GW just because of feel and control, but there were so many people last year and in the previous pages that had a grumble about the GW gapping for some reason. Although to be honest, I've had set GWs before in Callaway and Ping sets and they've often been the same for me - gap perfectly down to PW and then all over the place for GW. Not sure why, but I will always go specialty wedge in that spot now.

I’ve been loving my PW fwiw. I don’t have the GW. Good flight, stopping power, and ability to work it some.

Sometimes golf is hard, sometimes you don’t score like you’d like, and then sometimes you turn around in your cart, see the view, and just smile.
F0923294-331C-4523-BF99-DBEC189FE065.jpeg

I am waiting for the USGA to outlaw these clubs because they are just too easy to hit and hit far. I am still working the gapping a little bit but these are monsters. I am more willing to take 4i and 5i off the tee as they will get me into the fairway and the other irons make the green reachable laying up off the tee. Just overall a wonderful package. My only issue is that when I get tired or lazy I throw my back shoulder out and have a pull hook that goes miles with these irons. Most times that means I am out with the rattlesnakes.

13 GIR today.....I haven't done that in a very long time. Not many close. But The Forged Tec are killin it.
I am waiting for the USGA to outlaw these clubs because they are just too easy to hit and hit far. I am still working the gapping a little bit but these are monsters. I am more willing to take 4i and 5i off the tee as they will get me into the fairway and the other irons make the green reachable laying up off the tee. Just overall a wonderful package. My only issue is that when I get tired or lazy I throw my back shoulder out and have a pull hook that goes miles with these irons. Most times that means I am out with the rattlesnakes.

This is exactly the experience that I've encountered as well. Looking down at them, they're deceptive as to just how easy to hit and launch they are. The feel is unbelievably soft, and they fly high and long. Unless it's a really bad strike, these are going to go pretty much where you've aimed them. Will be in the bag for a long long time.

Alas my short iron issues haven't improved.

Off the tee they've been as solid as my abilities allow.

The problem is that my 6 iron is my longest iron, so short irons comprise most of my set.

And losing confidence in the 8 iron down continues to affect my scoring.

I suspect my inconsistency is swing related as I've been a bit wonky lately, especially off the deck.

In the interests of science I nabbed a cheap set of PXG Gen3s the other day and cheated on the FTs with them today.

Due to the swing issues alluded to above I was a bit hooky with them. But distance consistency was more what I'm used to.

My city (Sydney, Australia) is back in lockdown, although fortunately golf courses and outdoor ranges are exempt for the moment.

Thus I can't do a lot else other than practise and conduct shoot-outs.

So we'll see how things go.

Shot of the Day this Evening: punching a 5 iron under about 50 yards of trees before the fairway, ending pin high from 150 yards. These things are so easy to launch but also have plenty of workability.

My experiment of going with the set GW has worked out so far. I have not missed the 50* specialty wedge as the set GW can hold greens and is very workable. Plus it is another copper club in the bag.

My experiment of going with the set GW has worked out so far. I have not missed the 50* specialty wedge as the set GW can hold greens and is very workable. Plus it is another copper club in the bag.
I struggled with the OL GW for months, but it is back in the bag and working great.

No such thing as too much copper in the bag ;)

Same here. Personally I prefer the GW to match up with the iron set. If I loved 6 irons why wouldn't I love 7 of them.

Do you all chip with the GW? How does that feel with the hollow body? It's what made me gun-shy on ordering the set GW.

Do you all chip with the GW? How does that feel with the hollow body? It's what made me gun-shy on ordering the set GW.
I chip with my foot. 🤣

I have chipped with GW and PW from way off green and they feel great. They do run so I generally aim for hitting fringe with them.

Love/hate my GW and PW in this set. Was playing Forged Tee Blacks before and was very comfortable with the shorter clubs. Not so much with the FT's below the 8i though.
Not helping with my current lack of confidence, for sure!

C Taper Lite Black or Modus 105 Black?

I've previously been fitted into both, so assume performance is the same.

Which do the aesthetic experts think would suit copper FTs best?

Attachments

• Nippon-Modus3-105-LE-Black-14.jpeg
    Nippon-Modus3-105-LE-Black-14.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 12
  • C Taper.jpeg
    C Taper.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 12
C Taper Lite Black or Modus 105 Black?

I've previously been fitted into both, so assume performance is the same.

Which do the aesthetic experts think would suit copper FTs best?
I think both would look real sharp, but personally I think the red badging in the modus will nicely highlight the amber tones I've seen in the copper.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me it's easily the Modus.

Modus it is. :)

Back