Should be interesting

NeverWiff

Reaction score
Handicap
13.4 GHIN
So… I recently pulled out a very old set of clubs. 1983-ish Titleist blades, driver and fairway woods. (Persimmon Driver, 3w and 5w). Man these irons are razor thin and the heads on the woods…. so tiny, in comparison to today’s clubs.

I had them re-gripped recently and cleaned them up. Heading out with a buddy later today (he’s a club pro) and we’re both going to play them. Should be a hoot!!

I have no expectations of putting up a number, just want to put some good, smooth swings on them and see how it goes. Stay tuned!!

So… I recently pulled out a very old set of clubs. 1983-ish Titleist blades, driver and fairway woods. (Persimmon Driver, 3w and 5w). Man these irons are razor thin and the heads on the woods…. so tiny, in comparison to today’s clubs.

I had them re-gripped recently and cleaned them up. Heading out with a buddy later today (he’s a club pro) and we’re both going to play them. Should be a hoot!!

I have no expectations of putting up a number, just want to put some good, smooth swings on them and see how it goes. Stay tuned!!

Sounds interesting.

Sounds like a fun experiment!

I would not be surprised if you put up a good number today. Focusing on just making good contact can free the mind up and make a more feel day then a swing though day. I cannot wait to see how it goes.

Love it! Have fun today!

And it WAS interesting! Played a quick 9 holes with my buddy late yesterday. We shared the bag and went off on our merry way...

Started out on a 380 yard par 4.... hit an "ok" drive - WAY shorter than what i'm used to with newer equipment, but it was in the fairway.
Hit an easy 5 wood which landed just short and rolled up onto the green, past the pin. Had about 35 feet. 2 putted for a par. That gave me WAY too much confidence!! After that, things deteriorated off the tee (for me). I ended up shooting a rocky 47 for 9 holes. So... not great, but i think i could probably whittle that down to low 40's with a bit more focus and effort.

I probably should have gone with 3 wood, off the tee, from there on.... but didn't. it was crazy how low you had to tee up for the driver. Not even close to todays clubs. We couldn't quite figure out if we should be hitting UP on the ball, or down sligtly. It was definitely a bit nerve wracking standing over the tiny little heads on the woods and butter knife thin top lines for the irons. The head of the 5 wood was probably 2 balls in width, across the face. It almost felt like you were hitting a golf ball with another golf ball at the end of the shaft. I hit that surprisingly well, as long as it was from the short grass.

Driver loft?? who knows!! We were guessing the loft on the thing could have been maybe 5-6 degrees. Towering drives were not happening, although my buddy was FAR more successful than I in hitting what i thought were very nice shots off the tee. He was able to work the ball both ways... pretty impressive. I guess that's why he's a Pro! He hit some very crisp iron shots was able to get the ball to check up on a few approaches into the green... We both agreed the distance, while decent, just wasn't quite there but, again, i have no clue what the lofts were on the irons. it was about a 1 - 1 1/2 club difference compared to my Ping i200's. Probably part loft and part poor ball striking on my part.

There wasn't much room for error. For me... shots were either good.... or... well, they weren't. All in all, i wasn't disappointed at all in the little experiment and will probably get out there again fairly soon. I'd really like to get to the range and get a feel for the driver. We both went into this completely cold. I hadn't swung those clubs in decades, and i'm sure a little range time would help significantly. Close attention to the shot, and the swing, is definitely required. If anyone else is feeling the urge to game a nearly 40 year old set of clubs.... i say.... Do it!!

Those woods are beautiful. I have a persimmon driver and 3w in my garage and I have thought about putting a new grip on the driver at least and seeing how it behaves.

Those woods are beautiful. I have a persimmon driver and 3w in my garage and I have thought about putting a new grip on the driver at least and seeing how it behaves.
Do it!!!! (It's quite humbling)
I went from a 265-270- carry and pretty straight with my current driver to.... well... 225 total distance off the tee. Definitely room for improvement with the wooden heads, but i will never get close to my current driver.

Do it!!!! (It's quite humbling)
I went from a 265-270- carry and pretty straight with my current driver to.... well... 225 total distance off the tee. Definitely room for improvement with the wooden heads, but i will never get close to my current driver.
I have lost a lot of clubhead speed since I played those woods so I would imagine I would be looking at 200 yards all in with the persimmon driver.

Back