The 60 and over Thread

Is this just a short term fix for the shanks or something you are incorporating into your swing full time?

It's a decade old problem and I've been attempting to incorporate it but have failed.

It is hands in, clubhead out and then inside to the top. I tend to get the lead arm off my chest at start of backswing and go outside. It must have grown severe lately and just went haywire today.

I need to take my LiveView video to the range every time but early in the morning..

Hey senior golfers, ones who have played for a very long time. Ever get burnt out? Does your body feel like an 80 y.o when you are in your 60's? Spending years of trying to get better in search of the secret swing thought, trying different equipment etc. How did you just take a break? Did you try other hobbies for a while or just do it? I am thinking of taking a month + off (no living room swings, visits to golf galaxy to kill some time or hitting the range) and trying again hopefully with renewed passion in a month or two.

Hey senior golfers, ones who have played for a very long time. Ever get burnt out? Does your body feel like an 80 y.o when you are in your 60's? Spending years of trying to get better in search of the secret swing thought, trying different equipment etc. How did you just take a break? Did you try other hobbies for a while or just do it? I am thinking of taking a month + off (no living room swings, visits to golf galaxy to kill some time or hitting the range) and trying again hopefully with renewed passion in a month or two.

When this happens, I go out an hour before sunset, take a bag of balls, wedge, and putter, and just practice chips, short pitches, and putts.

I have never felt burned out, but then again I didn't start playing until I was 50. I like to get to the course very early in the morning and work on my short game until the range opens.

I've been playing since I was 10 or so and I cannot remember ever being burnt out on golf. The only breaks I've taken have been forced upon me - winters in Chicago, various duty assignments when I was in the Army, injuries including a fractured arm, a fractured bone just above the ankle, and the breaks I had to take for each knee replacement. Then, of course, is being relegated to just playing weekends due to work before I retired. Since 2009 I basically play every weekday weather permitting,, year 'round.

Last edited:

If you decide to do that make sure you continue to exercise and stretch, even if you don’t touch a club. A year and a half of working from home has caught up to me. So I am really working on flexibility and core strength because I struggle to get loose. Especially in my legs and hips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an interesting day today. I went with my wife to distribute canned foods to the homeless. Her regular partner was a no show, so I volunteered.

At our first stop a guy named Terry came up to greet us. He knew my wife from past visits.

As I'm giving him a box of food out of the back of my truck, he notices my bag of clubs.

Asked me if I was any good. Told him not anymore. He went on to tell me he caddied at some course in SoCal for 10 years. Also that he could shoot scores in the 70s.

Wondering, I asked if he wanted to hit a few pitches. He accepted, and pulled my 52* AW.

His target was a tree about 20 yards away. Darned if he didn't land a bunch of balls at the base of the tree. All crispy hits in a row, after a few mishits.

Told him I wished I had his accuracy. He asked me to show him my pitches. After 5 shots, he explain my left shoulder was the problem. That I wasn't consistent with it. My shoulders were not aligned with each other all the time. Showed me what I needed to look for. We shook hands, wished each other well.

So on the way home, I stopped off at the local practice area. Did what he told me to do. His advice was sound, as my left misses didn't show up. Hirizontal dispersion was much improved.

I'll probably deliver more canned goods to this guy.

Today I started some strength training on my legs since they seem to be the weak point. As I mentioned earlier I dislocated my left knee during my last round. Today I found out why. It's not my left leg that's the weak one. It's my right leg. My right leg is putting too much stress on my left leg that the stance and weight shift is out of balance. I'm using my left leg to stabilize my right side. Consequently everything in my left leg is not feeling well, but we have to keep working. I'm going to lay off golf for a bit and strength train.

Today I started some strength training on my legs since they seem to be the weak point. As I mentioned earlier I dislocated my left knee during my last round. Today I found out why. It's not my left leg that's the weak one. It's my right leg. My right leg is putting too much stress on my left leg that the stance and weight shift is out of balance. I'm using my left leg to stabilize my right side. Consequently everything in my left leg is not feeling well, but we have to keep working. I'm going to lay off golf for a bit and strength train.

Knee brace? I hope.;)

Maybe I posted this before...if so, I don't remember, lol.

The one thing I have found that is a real stroke saver is developing a good short game. I work a lot on mine and as a result I have a fairly consistent one (our club champion four years running said he wishes he had my short game). The nice thing about developing a good one is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so.

If only my full swing game was half as good...lol.

Played 9 today, as I said I have taken out fw and put in hybrids. Worked good today, only hit 2 hybrid. My Steve Striker swing worked today also, didn't take sffect until #5. Good striaght drive, topped a 9, good chip and good putt. Next hole good drive, topped a 5 hybrid, good chip and good putt. Next hole par 5 good drive, 2 hybrid down the middle. Topped a 9, lobbed over the sand and good putt. I couild get to like this , if it keeps up. So a good day and progress made.

I need to get one. Any recommendations?

I've used this one for a couple of years. My knee does not swell up when running or playing golf with this - gives good lateral support.

Does anyone remember seeing or listening to the Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels or the Outlaws? Those were good days!!!
Yep saw MTB with the Allmans Bros. back in the 70’s

Well, I go way back. I was a musician and was really into the early days of what is now known as classic rock. In 1969 I went to Woodstock and saw many great bands. I am a longtime Deadhead and the first of many times I saw the Grateful Dead was at Woodstock. My interest was in many of the early San-Francisco-based groups (the Dead, the Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Country Joe and the Fish, etc) and a number of the Brits (the Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Cream, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, the Kinks, etc). I also am a big fan of the Allman Brothers and The Band.

Prior to that I saw The Byrds with Roger McGuinn, Neil Diamond, Guess Who, Buckinghams, and some of the pop "radio groups" that would come to play locally.

Wow! This topic dredges up some memories.
Was at The Summer Jam at Watkins Glen in 73’ for the Allman Bros, Dead and The Band. Also saw all the aforementioned acts at the Spectrum in Philly. Those were the “good old days” Would do it all over again in a NY Minute.

Am 57 and can still get my driver to average about 275 off the tee. My limit is 6500 yards and will play whatever tee box that is that length. Some tracks at 6500 are still awfully tough for me. Bethpage Black, Trumps Ferry Point and Montauk States Downs all come to mind since they still require second shots at 180 yards plus on many of the Par 4s. I have decided that once can’t break 80 anymore, then will put limit at 6100 yards.

Maybe I posted this before...if so, I don't remember, lol.

The one thing I have found that is a real stroke saver is developing a good short game. I work a lot on mine and as a result I have a fairly consistent one (our club champion four years running said he wishes he had my short game). The nice thing about developing a good one is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so.

If only my full swing game was half as good...lol.

Totally agree with you Sean. I saw immediate evidence of this yesterday as I was pitching the ball really close, after practicing for 30 minutes or so in the backyard with these:
1626798839435.png

Funny how a little practice helps!

Have a tee time Thursday, going to see if I can keep my swing and hit my hybrids. 2 worked great Monday, how need to get my 3,4,5 to work. I think I will have grteat gapping between clubs then, about ten yards between clubs.

I started feeling old after 40. Started with the eyes. Needed glasses. Then the hips tightening up. Always been a office worker, hours typing then commuting, arms in the same position. Man was meant to walk upright.

Discovered things like walking, push ups, planks, stretching.

It doesn't get any better. I keep getting older every day.

I started feeling old after 40. Started with the eyes. Needed glasses. Then the hips tightening up. Always been a office worker, hours typing then commuting, arms in the same position. Man was meant to walk upright.

Discovered things like walking, push ups, planks, stretching.

It doesn't get any better. I keep getting older every day.
I'm in the same boat. At age 71, I have all sorts of aches and pains every day. I do a light work out and stretch every morning and pop three Aleve before I play. I used to walk and carry my bag but now I take a cart most of the time. My father used to say "getting old ain't for sissies". Boy, was he right. I think we all just need to hang in there and keep moving as long as we can.

I'm in the same boat. At age 71, I have all sorts of aches and pains every day. I do a light work out and stretch every morning and pop three Aleve before I play. I used to walk and carry my bag but now I take a cart most of the time. My father used to say "getting old ain't for sissies". Boy, was he right. I think we all just need to hang in there and keep moving as long as we can.
Getting old ain't for sissies. Awesome.

Yup, some days its a b*tch.

I've posted this before. I have a 94 (maybe 95 or 96) year old neighbour who has been walking three times a day since she was around 50. Had a car accident and busted up her back. She's fallen and broken a hip twice. We asked her why she kept walking. He answer was, if I keep walking...I'll keep walking.

I fell over the past winter and landed on my shoulder. Badly bruised the rotator cuff "stuff". Went to physio and told her "Get me golfing by April". No longer see physio as I graduated but she told me which stretches to keep doing. Do them every morning. The pain is slowly disappearing. Told me it might take a year for the final swelling to go down.

But I started golfing in April when the local courses reopened. So I try to live by my 94 year old neighbours motto "If I keep golfing, I'll keep golfing".

Starting to think this 68 year old body is the only one I got. I gotta have mobility...

and yes, ibuprofen is my friend.

I'm almost 78, aches and pains are normal to me. I take a tylenol 650 in the morning and one at night, doing core excercise and they are helping. Hope to get exercise bike soon and start riding it, summer here in Kansas too hot and humid to do more than play golf real early.

I need to get one. Any recommendations?

Donjoy Lateral J Patella Stabilizer Brace. I have worn one playing golf and running. I have had issues with both knees involving dislocations and have had surgery on both years ago. This brace was recommended to me by my Ortho.

It comes in drytex or neoprene. Drytex is better in warmer weather or if you have skin issues with neoprene.

Back