Luchnia,
Matt Kuchar ( the walking ATM Machine ) and Mr. 59 below seem to understand how the hands should perform . They understand that the HANDS do not square the face . When the lever is still intact at 90 degrees between his arms and shaft this far in his DS David is aware that his rotating torso will square it. To late to change or alter the process he programmed before bring the lever down.
almost all pros are in that position at that point of the swing. like I said before, tell us something we don't know.

tell us how the rotating torso squares the club from that position!!

Turtlerancher,

(y)— I am just trying to share some special stuff I have learned. Things that helped me score my age and under since I was 67 and I am 82 now and scoring under my age is automatic from the member tees. My upcoming knee surgery will curtail my golf for a while. I am used to hitting hundreds of balls daily . I am addicted .
Hey that's fine. I've just been golfing for a little over 2 years at 58 years old and shoot mid to low 70s. Understanding the kinetic chain of motion, in my opinion, is a lot more applicable in the golf swing than trying to apply your theory of the hands controlling the whole body. As the old saying goes, mind over matter not, hands over matter.

L,

The torso ( the inner circle) is also rotating and it is the ONLY SOURCE OF POWER and it‘s rotation squares the face . The design / angle of the shaft plus the DOMINANT HANDS desperately trying to perform as they are genetically designed- plus the DOMINANT THUMB doing its life long job of rolling over and coming back to the centerline of its torso sets the righty up immediately for failure. Not to mention that the shaft is inserted into the inside heel of the face and trying desperately to roll over the heel own it’s own tangent. No Wonder why so many swing out OTT and pull and slice ? Both the torso and hands can’t do the job and timing shots with the hands is inconsistent at best . Pull / lead the heel of the face into the inside quadrant of the ball with the wrist acting as free swinging hinges and the centrifugal force will become so great and will force the lever system to release and the torso will square it up. Their can be no effort by the Hands to put pressure on the shaft to provide power. That is disasterous . They only control the shaft . They are DIRECTORS , not ACTORS . Unfortunately, this is easier said than done . It is quite a daunting task to overcome the design of the human structure. Very few know how to make that happen and very, very few are willing to put in the effort. Most just want tips. I don’t deal in tips - only the mechanics of the golf swing as it relates to the human lever system.
Good to hear from you.

Turtlerancher,

Good playing . Those scores shouldn’t add up to be a 10 hdcp. When you say my post are just * theory * you are denying the facts and truths discovered by our brightest Neurologist and Surgeons that are printed in medical journals and lauded by our most intelligent learned people on Earth. Those discoveries have helped our great medical industry to save many lives. You might want to bone up on some research before you state i am posting theory .
I will be glad to recommend where look for those facts if needed ?

I think my swing thought for today is going to be hands and brains.

When I get over the ball, nothing but 'hands and brains'.

Hands and brains.

😎

L,

The torso ( the inner circle) is also rotating and it is the ONLY SOURCE OF POWER and it‘s rotation squares the face . The design / angle of the shaft plus the DOMINANT HANDS desperately trying to perform as they are genetically designed- plus the DOMINANT THUMB doing its life long job of rolling over and coming back to the centerline of its torso sets the righty up immediately for failure. Not to mention that the shaft is inserted into the inside heel of the face and trying desperately to roll over the heel own it’s own tangent. No Wonder why so many swing out OTT and pull and slice ? Both the torso and hands can’t do the job and timing shots with the hands is inconsistent at best . Pull / lead the heel of the face into the inside quadrant of the ball with the wrist acting as free swinging hinges and the centrifugal force will become so great and will force the lever system to release and the torso will square it up. Their can be no effort by the Hands to put pressure on the shaft to provide power. That is disasterous . They only control the shaft . They are DIRECTORS , not ACTORS . Unfortunately, this is easier said than done . It is quite a daunting task to overcome the design of the human structure. Very few know how to make that happen and very, very few are willing to put in the effort. Most just want tips. I don’t deal in tips - only the mechanics of the golf swing as it relates to the human lever system.
Good to hear from you.
that is exactly what I said 4 or 5 pages back and you dismissed it.

the only difference is you say the hands control it and I say centrifugal force controls it. The hands simply hang on and are along for the ride. Centrifugal force from the rotation via the lever system/ angles and all control what is happening(in a high level swing)

snakes coil with their muscles. why can't humans use their muscle to get into a strike position; coiled? It may not look like a snake, but the body is stretched and loaded and ready to be released just as a spring is stretched/compressed and ready to release it's energy.

May not be the exact term that needs to be used, but people(reasonable people) know what they are speaking of.
Have you read Kelvin Miyahira's 2009 Article - Do You Have Reptile Dysfunction?

Have you read Kelvin Miyahira's 2009 Article - Do You Have Reptile Dysfunction?
yeah, a while back.tt

I think that's where I got the "feel natural" swing thought just before back swing(at address). don't be bound up.

Edit: Went back and re-read it. Being a short, fat old man golfer, having a pretty any part of the swing ain't in the books.:)

Last edited:

Update: I hands and brains'd the **** out of it out there today. I have no idea which way my brain was pointing, or my hands were thinking, but this stuff is pure swing thought gold. Gold!!

More seriously, I actually did have a dominant swing thought today. It was - wind, and don't dig, it'll hurt. Little skinny on a couple, but that's about as complicated as I want a thought to be over the ball. Something for feel, maybe something for shape, and do it.

Swing thoughts are maddening because the reality is, when playing well, they're gone. I'll have pre-swing thoughts but I'll shut off during the swing.

But when not playing well, I've no idea if they're the cause or affect. Probably both. Because when I don't think during the actual swing, summoning cues, it's then when I'll play worse.

And I hate doing it.

Update: I hands and brains'd the **** out of it out there today. I have no idea which way my brain was pointing, or my hands were thinking, but this stuff is pure swing thought gold. Gold!!

More seriously, I actually did have a dominant swing thought today. It was - wind, and don't dig, it'll hurt. Little skinny on a couple, but that's about as complicated as I want a thought to be over the ball. Something for feel, maybe something for shape, and do it.
Mine is "Old and Stiff compels you!!"

WMac19,
A human can not have “” thoughts “” during the 2/10 of time allotted for their DS. It is factual that the human brain can ONLY sort out and perform one * thought * In such a fleeting moment of time. And - btw , that one thought must be preprogrammed In you mind before you ever lift the shaft back bc the plan you have prepared can not be altered once in action.

@Lane have you read Daniel Coyle's book "The Talent Code"?

Razaar,

I just found and read exerts from it and I get the point And I am a great example of his topic. After spending my younger years as an athlete playing every sport I fell in love with a Saxaphone. I had no musical training , but I practiced 10-12 hours daily. I was self taught and truly obsessed. Every other activity was put on hold and I made my living playing for the next twenty years. The last seven owning my own traveling band. The amount of time it took for me ( and all musicians) to *train * their HANDS to play any instrument is daunting , but it is a labor of love to those who do, not work.
Thanks for sending it to me. Good stuff !

@Lane
The Talent Code filled in the blank I had about movement patterns being controlled by myliniated pathways created through deep practice. The other side that was a mystery was how the muscles worked given they are not elastic. There is no time to use muscles in the timeframe of a golf swing except with isometric contractions. Kelvin Miyahira cleared that up for me with how the body's fascia provides all the speed work. The issue with facia is that it needs to be trained and reformed to these new movements before we can swing on automatic mode.
A hiuge problem I see in this process is in the players concept of the golf swing. We read articles, swing tips and watch videos of elite swings and form concepts that 90% of the time are outright wrong. Most stick with these concepts (true believers) and keep trying to get it right. The sad part is they are more likely doing their conceptual movements - it is the concepts that are wrong.
It is all good fun I guess.

Razaar,

No need to struggle anymore searching for answers to accomplish a quality swing. One of your brilliant fellow Australians, Gerry Hogan , has figured it out and put it in writing for all of us to learn from. Unfortunately, it never got distributed in the USA and it is the most expensive golf instructon book In today‘s market.
“ The Hogan Manual of Human Performance “ — most copies are only available from Australia.
Good to hear from you .

Lane
I bought my copy in 1994 for $6.95 reduced from it's original price of $24.95.

I've been working with a coach since last Summer, and I'd say working on simplifying the swing thoughts is ideal. However, there have been several areas of my swing where I've had to make progress, so the thoughts have changed over time. I think we're getting very close now to making more notable progress in my handicap, and I think my main swing thought now is going to remain consistent moving forward.

Back