Most tragic/worst TV show or Movie ending?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This has been debated by many for years, but I happen to flip thru the channels and hit an old favorite of mine from back in college.

I would argue this TV show had the most tragic series ending of any long running TV show.

The hero who after saving 100s of lives throughout the run of the series, sacrificed his life time and time again, took the place of his friend to save him, and had only one wish: to return home.

Yet, in the series finale, the writers had him never return to his wife or family and to endlessly be forced to help others forever.

Talking about the show Quarum Leap. The show ends the finale episode with the words

“Sam Becket NEVER returned home”.

Last edited:
The real tragedy about that show is, Scott Bakula went on to star in NCIS New Orleans with that horrible accent and bad acting! 🥵

I think tragic and worst are 2 different things. Not sure on the most tragic but the end of Seinfeld was pretty bad compared to the rest of the show.

The Sopranos had the worst ending to a show, ever.

life is beautiful is pretty freaking tragic.

the worst? hmmmm. seinfeld is up there.

Might have been the best ending ever, up there with Sixth Sense, but alas yes very tragic. But were you rooting for Brad Pitt or just surprised at the ending? I was more like wow great storyline ending versus wow that was horrible what just happened.

Can we get I Am Legend on this list?

There's a fantastic alternate ending.
This one was an interesting choice. I am guessing the alternate ending was filmed first and was more similar to the book implying that Will Smith character was also a monster and he was the true villain from the zombies point of view.

That must not have tested well so they made the crap boring ending with the actual release as Will Smith character sacrifices his life to the zombies to save humanity.

When Henry Blake dies in mash.
That was only the end of a season. But, seeing Radar read the message was gut wrenching.

The Mist and Requiem For A Dream come to mind for most depressing.

The Sopranos had the worst ending to a show, ever.
At first, I’d agree but then I thought about it and watched the series again and liked it. I’m firmly on the fence.

How I met your mother.
It’s like they ran out of money or filming time… for such an otherwise good show, it sure ended abruptly.

This has been debated by many for years, but I happen to flip thru the channels and hit an old favorite of mine from back in college.

I would argue this TV show had the most tragic series ending of any long running TV show.

The hero who after saving 100s of lives throughout the run of the series, sacrificed his life time and time again, took the place of his friend to save him, and had only one wish: to return home.

Yet, in the series finale, the writers had him never return to his wife or family and to endlessly be forced to help others forever.

Talking about the show Quarum Leap. The show ends the finale episode with the words

“Sam NEVER returned home”.

I really liked that show and that was a bummer it ended that way.

American Sniper - That was tragic and really hurt me deeply

God Bless Our Troops - Active and Veteran Status ... Alive or watching our great country from above.

That was only the end of a season. But, seeing Radar read the message was gut wrenching.
yea but still a very tragic episode ending.

American Sniper - That was tragic and really hurt me deeply

God Bless Our Troops - Active and Veteran Status ... Alive or watching our great country from above.
I thought that was based off a true story. True life is very tragic.

Dexter was so bad they are reviving it to fix it.
I agree on the Sopranos being a bad ending. Leaving it up to interpretation sucks. Instead of showing Meadow parallel parking for god knows how long just show if Tony died or not. Is that so hard?

Jack Bauer's end was sad.
Jax Teller's death was a sad ending to SOA.

I thought that was based off a true story. True life is very tragic.
It was off true life. But it's the saddest ending I know...had to chill out in theatres for a long time after it ended

Guys in their 60s might say Brian’s Song

Might have been the best ending ever, up there with Sixth Sense, but alas yes very tragic. But were you rooting for Brad Pitt or just surprised at the ending? I was more like wow great storyline ending versus wow that was horrible what just happened.
It was one of the best tragic endings. When the box showed up, you (I) knew what was in it and just didn’t want him to find out. It was just so drawn out and perfect.

flat out worst ending me was sopranos. I was so invested in that show to end that way upset me

Back