I'd Find a Way to Break Your Putter

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
I had a great time. We all did, even though we were four singles thrown together. This happens a lot in this great game we play. When we got to the 18th green I sunk a 10-footer and that's when one of my playing partners said, "If I ever found myself competing against you, I swear I'd find a way to break your putter."

No doubt it was meant as a complement as my playing partners had watched me sink a lot of putts over the course of the round. But here is the point of this thread. Why does it seem that when someone performs well people act as if it must be the arrow and not the Indian? Whether it's driving, approach shots, pitching, chipping or putting the vast majority of the time people seem to assume or act as if it is the equipment that is responsible?

because we can't believe that someone, that is not a pro, is actually better at the game than we are.

For the same reason folks tend to cycle through golf clubs…

I think he was just making a joke about how well you putted. It wasn’t a slight talking about breaking your putter it was a compliment. If he broke your putter on the first hole and you had to put with a wedge you wouldn’t putt as well.

/\/\/\ This /\/\/\

Lighten up; it was a compliment.

I wouldn't take it as highlighting the equipment at all. It's just a roundabout way to say, "you're a darned fine putter of the golf ball."

I mean, I've said similar rarely amongst friends and that's exactly what I meant.

Just sounds like someone in awe to me. Figures throwing a kink in your bag there would be the only way to slow you down on the greens. Sweet of him to admit it. ;)

Just an awesome compliment after a day of kicking ass. No reason to read any more into it than that.

Come to Australia , if we are not taking the piss out of someone it’s taking it out of ourselves .... nothing in the comments made by your group, it’s terms of endearment , if they weren’t and you were reshot with the stick would you have been equally offended no one offered a comment ?

As to the arrow and Indian comment , the arrow (et al) are usually inanimate objects, and either natural or man made ( to a standard one would expect ) easier to pass comment on the innate object as it won’t respond, in either negative or positive fashion. The Indian well they have up and down days and seldom perform to high standards , so when those high performance standards are on display , no need to encourage lol. The bigger trick is to back it up round after round ... so becomes the norm not the exception )

As mentioned, take it as a compliment.

I just think the guy was complimenting your skill. Guys have a hard time saying things to other guys like, your a really good putter, or you must practice a lot to be that good. It's easier for us to compliment another guy by using a joke. What it comes down to is, it's a guy thing. Take the compliment and move on.

to me you are overthinking this

Jealousy. Respect.

Clearly he was appreciative of witnessing the putting display that you put on over the course of the round. As human beings I think we are so accustomed to self-deprecating comments it just comes naturally when we refer to someone else.

Probably more tame than saying, “if we were competing I’d need to break your hands” to a stranger.

Yea as others have said - I think it was just a compliment from a stranger who happened to witness your skills - and wanted to say something both positive and out of the ordinary.

because we can't believe that someone, that is not a pro, is actually better at the game than we are.
That's a possibility in some of the cases. For some of us the ego is easily bruised.
I think he was just making a joke about how well you putted. It wasn’t a slight talking about breaking your putter it was a compliment. If he broke your putter on the first hole and you had to put with a wedge you wouldn’t putt as well.
No doubt it was a joke. We guys joke with each other a lot. It typically is the theme for most of our rounds. However, that doesn't explain why when good performance is involved the joke invariably focuses on the equipment and not the player. We don't do that under other circumstances. For example, when a player leaves their putt short the popular rejoin is to call the player "Alice" or ask if they ate their Wheaties. Both focused on the player and not the equipment.
...and I agree the example I gave was not a slight. I even said so in the OP, "No doubt it was meant as a complement..."
As to the arrow and Indian comment , the arrow (et al) are usually inanimate objects, and either natural or man made ( to a standard one would expect ) easier to pass comment on the innate object as it won’t respond, in either negative or positive fashion. The Indian well they have up and down days and seldom perform to high standards , so when those high performance standards are on display , no need to encourage lol. The bigger trick is to back it up round after round ... so becomes the norm not the exception )
In polite company this might have some merit. But let's face it, golfers are not shy about busting their playing partners when they screw up. So if we're not afraid of retribution then, why would they worry about a compliment of the player setting them off?

A lot of the comments focused on the example I gave. It was just an example. As the OP says the point of this thread is to discuss, "Why does it seem that when someone performs well people act as if it must be the arrow and not the Indian? Whether it's driving, approach shots, pitching, chipping or putting the vast majority of the time people seem to assume or act as if it is the equipment that is responsible?" More ideas and discussion is welcomed.

It's the same thing as photographers getting bent when somebody says "That's a beautiful photo, you must have a very nice camera!"

I mean I forgot my putter earlier this year and my buddy had a spare Scotty in his trunk (he’s a weird guy). I borrowed it and had 30 putts. It’s definitely always the equipment.

Should have told him you just bought that putter yesterday. :cool:

Of all the shots in golf I think putting is influenced the least by equipment. I mean a great putter would putt almost as well with a 20 dollar no name putter bought on Amazon as they would with a Scotty or anything else. It can make a mental difference sure. But not a lot in terms of equipment giving you a competitive advantage.

So agreed with everyone else. Take that as a high compliment meaning you would beat him on the greens all day long. With any putter.

Well it has to be the arrow not the Indian, just ask Bryson! 😉

Back