Which Club When Struggling Off the Tee?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Been going back and forth with a friend today that is really struggling off the tee. He is basically using a 5 iron exclusively now until he gets it fixed. When I am struggling off the tee, I usually go to my 2nd driver, which is shorter.

Do you have a go to in this scenario?

Was struggling with driver earlier this week. Went exclusively to the 3w and hit every fairway :oops:

My last league match, I resorted to taking my SZ 4i off the tee. even though we played from 6740.

Funny, this is the EXACT same discussion I had with a friend last night. He is struggling with the driver.

I will go to the 4 wood if I have to.

TBH, I tend to just stick it out and keep grinding.

I can hit 3W or 5W. Prefer to go to 5W as I know it will be in fairway about 210 yards.

Usually Big Tour 3w. If my tee struggles can’t be fixed with that club, a 5i probably won’t help me either.

Few years back it was 3 wood exclusively. Hated giving up the distance but the 5 inches between my ears wouldn’t let me hit driver.

Usually 3W but if it starts acting up, then I take its friend, the 4H. 4H is usually good for 220+ off the tee depending on roll.

oddly enough driver is usually my most consistent club, but on the odd day where it is mis-behaving, 5W is next on deck. If that doesn't work I work my way down the bag, hoping to not end up at PW...

5 iron for me. 3 wood and 3/4 hybrid generally follow the driver.

I am keeping driver. Work through it and figure it out.

Keep hitting driver until you get it right! I'm capable...just need to execute. That's the narrative spinning between my ears.

If it was a match, then 4 iron.

Apparently after last night it will be the 6i. I did a 4 club challenge last night for 9 holes. I took 6i,9i, 54, and putter and was striping the 6i.

Callaway DCB 4 iron. It's like cheating.

I guess it depends on wha the struggle is.

Typically the struggle i'd have with my driver isnt the same struggle with my irons or hybrids. So id go 3-4iron or 2 hyb.

I usually keep trying to figure out the driver during the round unless I'm in a tourney or team situation. First option is to incorporate my deliberate 'wind cheater' driver swing. Teeing it a half ball lower and cutting off the follow through typically provides much more consistent contact, straighter albeit lower flight, and doesn't cost a ton of distance. I used to have a solid second option, rarely missed the fairway with my GAPR MID 3, but I recently reconfigured the bag and no longer have it. If driver is struggling I'm likely to be struggling with fairway woods too so I'd probably have to go with 5 iron and sacrifice 50-75 yards if I absolutely had to.

Last edited:
Luckily for me, driver over the past couple of years has been really good for me so I don't club down unless its to take off distance to avoid a hazard or dogleg etc.
At which I would use either my 7w or 5h.

7 wood for me most of the time. Other times I might hit a 5i.

I can also remember a few times, several years ago (decades?) when the wheels really came off, I finished the last 4-5 holes with just my pw, and putter.

Mini driver, although I'll hit that club on some holes even when the driver is working for me.

In this scenario, I usually choke way down on the driver and let'er rip. If that doesn't help, I go to the 18* hybrid.

4 iron for me.

I'm still learning to hit my 3 wood so I drop down to my 3 hybrid with a controlled swing when I need to hit a fairway.

Back