Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We've had beautiful weather lately and I'm just completely unmotivated to go to the course. I've been to the range twice, and it's not going exceptionally well. I just don't have it in me to go out on the course and spray balls into the woods. How do I mentally get past it?

take a break. stay on thp. watch golf on tv. watch some youtube videos about golf. the bug will bite you again. i’ve been there too, and i always end up right back obsessed with the game after a short break.

take a break. stay on thp. watch golf on tv. watch some youtube videos about golf. the bug will bite you again. i’ve been there too, and i always end up right back obsessed with the game after a short break.
Agree with McLovin
Soon enough, something will grab your interest, and you’ll be back out there. Until then, relax a bit and recharge.

We've had beautiful weather lately and I'm just completely unmotivated to go to the course. I've been to the range twice, and it's not going exceptionally well. I just don't have it in me to go out on the course and spray balls into the woods. How do I mentally get past it?

Yep, watch course vlog's on YouTube, think "Hell, I can play better than that," and that will get you out there again until you realize you can't.

Take the break, exactly. Just because it's not fun today doesn't mean it'll be won't be fun tomorrow. On the same note, if you don't enjoy it don't force it. Find something else that Sparks your interest for now.

Buy a new club, or three, or eight. Always works for me (repeatedly).

Take a short break, and then just go play.

Play well, or play poorly. It doesn't matter. You own a set of golf clubs. Your motivation can be as simple as not letting them collect dust.

Set a long term goal of reachable improvement, and go for it.

The only alternative is to give up golf completely which would be your own decision.

Win a spot in a THP event and I bet you will get motivated quick!😆 Look at playing as good exercise, or an excuse to hangout with friends, or a way to get out of the house for a while. Don’t keep score. Remove the stress out of the game. It should be fun right?

Play the course differently than you may normally approach it.
When l go to the range , seldom have good session , it’s just not the same, as playing on course , have game within game , change something that forges a different focus an newer view , and celebrate the shot which become shots which become holes which becomes rounds .... you and all of us ain’t getting paid to play it so it’s no stress, the only quantifiable is the smile and pleasure it gives

I change it up and keep my games interesting. I’ll play from any tees, do irons only rounds, or best/worst ball with a buddy.

You could try playing a different course than your usual. Maybe grab a few clubs and take on a par 3 course. Then again there's nothing wrong with taking a break for a bit either. Swap the clubs for a fishing pole for a little while.

Just go out and golf but don't keep score. Hit one in the woods...laugh and drop another one. Top one into the water...laugh and drop another one. Point is, stop trying to score well and just have a good time. Pretty soon the good shots will follow because you're not pressing and trying too hard. I'm not on the pro tour. Nobody is starving when I have a bad around. Guess what everyone will be talking about after round? Not the shots you hit into the woods but all of the great shots you made instead.

I view golf as more of a practice (like yoga, meditation, going to the gym or other physical or mental fitness pursuits) than a game or a hobby.

Keeping at it and working thru it when I don’t feel like it is part of the deal. Perseverance is a quality I lack and need to improve upon, so I keep going, even when it’s going poorly.

Some days when the full swing is just not gonna happen I’ll back off to something I can practice without it, chipping/putting, or work on the mental aspects of the game.

I’ve found for myself that practicing perseverance tends to eventually lead to stronger mental toughness on the course and better scores.

That’s just my perspective… everyone’s different… your mileage may vary… etc.

I pick up my old book by Tommy Armour or maybe the Hogan 5 fundamentals and just start reading and working on improvement. I always find areas to improve and pick one and work on it for a few weeks in practice.

from history I know that I get frustrated and don't want to play when I make the same mistakes hole after hole. it is my signal to go learn and improve. I listen to it now and knock on wood have not thrown a club or embarrashed myself on the course in over 10 years.

I'm right there with you @Qwkz51. I've played 3 rounds and 2 tournaments in the last two weeks and my game is such a roller coaster that it's eating into my enjoyment. Fact is I'm facing a +/- 6 week break anyway so hopefully the itch will come back after the memory of being terrible fades. Here's to hoping the spark returns for you too 🤞

Buy a new putter
Buy a new driver
Get a new driver shaft
Something shiny and new always helps, no matter what the wife says

Sometimes you simply have to get away from golf for awhile. Do something different - go fishing, read a good book, buy some new stuff, anything - but stay away from golf.

I think you'll find, after a short time, your yen to go play will return.

Good luck.

Just go out and golf but don't keep score. Hit one in the woods...laugh and drop another one. Top one into the water...laugh and drop another one.
I dunno. We kept score only once, when I played last season, and then only on the front nine. I still knew when I was playing well (FSVO "well") and when I wasn't.

As bad as it sounds, I have to go with ...

Buy a new club, or three, or eight. Always works for me (repeatedly).
... this ^^^^^

But first spend time in research. Lots and lots of research. That, in and of itself, can be loads of fun. At least for me. It's kind of like "Half the fun is getting there" :) Then you get the new club or whatever and get curious as to how well it works out for you.

this is the way. take a break. then you'll get that itch again.

I don't know why you're not motivated to play but I was in a similar spot not too long ago. Mine was 100% performance based. There were weekends where I just wasn't feeling it but I went anyway (with a score in mind, to boot) and just went through the motions because that's what I was supposed to do (I only get to play on weekends). I would play, miss my goal (of course) and then be depressed about it for a week until I did it all again. It sucked. Bad.

In hindsight, it may have better for me to skip a week or two. I powered through, though, and shifted my focus away from performance and to the proper place (having a good time). My game actually improved (slightly) and I look forward to playing again. Hopefully it holds up. But, I know myself and the expectations are going to rear their ugly head again and I'll struggle with my enjoyment. It's almost guaranteed. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like burn out to me 🤷 which I think is completely normal. In my experience golf is so much of a 1 step back 2 step forward sport that it's easy to get discouraged.

Much like what everyone else is saying I would just take a break, let the body heal up and come back to it when you're ready and have the itch.

As a side note I really started to enjoy golf a whole lot more when I stopped letting my score dictate how much I enjoyed the day.

I have gone through the same unmotivated mentality at times. Bad play and playing competively with the guys I do causes me stress and negative thoughts. I always go back and remind myself, I am not a pro, I do not do this for a living, and I am not as good as I sometimes think I am.
GOLF IS FUN! Enjoy it. Enjoy the people. Enjoy being alive and able to play the game I love.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Take a lesson. It sounds like your swing struggles are driving your lack of interest. Get things back on track and you will be excited to go play again.

Life is too short to spend your free time on something you're not finding at least some satisfaction with. I suspect like almost every other member here, you'll get the passion back. But if not, there are worse things in this world than finding new hobbies. Good luck and I hope the feeling passes.

Last edited:
Back