The GHIN Soft Cap

What cap was turned in for the Mizuno Experience?

The soft cap sucks IMG_4030.jpeg

I think for a decent stretch of the last two years I had both a soft and hard cap

Can’t post locally until 4/1 and don’t have any trips planned. So, we’ll have to wait and see.

There’s a bright side to being soft capped. It kept me from going into higher handicap number’s while I suffered from playing really bad golf for a long time. I’m curious how bad it really was, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out. My ego might not have liked that.

I'm 0.4 away from bumping up against it. Again.

There’s a bright side to being soft capped. It kept me from going into higher handicap number’s while I suffered from playing really bad golf for a long time. I’m curious how bad it really was, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out. My ego might not have liked that.
That's all great until you're playing in a handicapped event and are at a 3 or 4 stroke disadvantage because of the soft cap. If I played a lot of handicapped events I'd gladly take the hit to my ego in exchange for playing off a realistic handicap for me at the time.

That's all great until you're playing in a handicapped event and are at a 3 or 4 stroke disadvantage because of the soft cap. If I played a lot of handicapped events I'd gladly take the hit to my ego in exchange for playing off a realistic handicap for me at the time.
I always play poorly in legit golf competitions. Vanity cap territory bad. I go into them knowing the reality. I keep entering because one day I’ll overcome whatever mental obstacle is there. If I actually had a chance I would definitely think differently. One day I’ll get there.

GHIN has me at 9.2

Calculating my last 20, I’m a 10.3

IMG_4178.jpeg

I haven't read the new changes yet. I'll probably be playing easier courses once I move to Sun City West, AZ next month, so sporting a low handicap that I can't shoot anywhere else is probably going to cost me some dough :cry:

IMG_4193.jpegUp to a 9.5 today IMG_4194.jpeg

By those GHIN numbers, you were soft capped when you hit 8.9 (3 strokes above your lowest in the last 12 months). If you were to hit 10.9, you'd be hard capped.
What’s does the hard cap mean?

What’s does the hard cap mean?
Hard cap means you can't go any higher no matter what you do, until your 12-month low handicap comes up. Once you reach hard cap you could shoot 20 rounds in the 100s and your handicap won't go up at all.

Thanks guys 👊🏼
Your max is 10.9 until May 2024.

Hard cap means you can't go any higher no matter what you do, until your 12-month low handicap comes up. Once you reach hard cap you could shoot 20 rounds in the 100s and your handicap won't go up at all.

I’m not quite sure how the soft cap works. Currently a 21 but my low is 18.8. Does that mean that I can’t go below 15.8 this year?

(I’m an optimist on how 2024 golf will go.)

I’m not quite sure how the soft cap works. Currently a 21 but my low is 18.8. Does that mean that I can’t go below 15.8 this year?

(I’m an optimist on how 2024 golf will go.)
There's no limit on downward movement, only upward movement. If your low is 18.8, you'd be soft capped at 21.8 and hard capped at 23.8. Going the other direction, you can go as low as your game will take you. The soft and hard caps were put in place to prevent sandbagging, they don't care about it going down.

There's no limit on downward movement, only upward movement. If your low is 18.8, you'd be soft capped at 21.8 and hard capped at 23.8. Going the other direction, you can go as low as your game will take you. The soft and hard caps were put in place to prevent sandbagging, they don't care about it going down.
Ok. I knew I wasn’t understanding it correctly.

@BigMac really hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it any better.

Ego is our biggest enemy on the course.

Back