Is a 60-yard ace a real hole-in-one?

Think about it. If you this short of an approach shot on a short par 4, and it went in the hole, would you not mark down a 2 on your scorecard? And consider it an eagle? Of course you would. There is no requirement for minimum length on a par 3, or a par 4 for that matter, to qualify as a HIO!

Absolutely it does.

100% yes, it counts.

If you jarred a 30 yard pitch for an eagle, does it still count as an eagle? Of course it does.

A 60 yard hole is harder for me than a 110 yard hole. All touch, not a full swing.

I say yes.

If you don’t want to count it, give it to me because I will.

My only hole-in-one is a 60-yarder at an executive course. Does that count?
Yep. Any golf hole with a fractional par over 2.5 is counted as a par 3. 60 yards has a fractional par of 2.614.
The fractional par formula is distance in yards multiplied by .0044 plus 2.35.
Some genius came up with the formula to identify the standard scratch rating of 18 holes.

It sort of counts but really depends on the hole. If I made 1 on a 234 yard par 4 with a green open in front I am not sure I would really think I made a great albatross. I would tell the story with a asterixis. Good shot though

Absolutely. The shot has to be properly executed regarless of the distance. If I knock a ball in from 60 yards out for an eagle on a par 5, I am not saying give me a 4 since I was only 60 yards from the hole.

My thoughts:

1627442255159.png

well, if its not a hole in one then what else is it? I mean its not a hole in two.
Bottom line its whatever you want it to be.
If you feel its a HIO then so be it. If you feel its got an asterisk then so be it as well.
its all and only about yourself and what you wish to feel about it. What any us think doesnt matter.

I mean it’s going on the scorecard but I’m not going to go around bragging about it only to have to reveal it was at a pitch and putt :ROFLMAO:

I think we get so wrapped up in what others think that we forget the most critical element here;

What does it mean for you? If you feel good about it, mark it down as the HOI you always wanted.

Yes it is. One stroke, ball on the hole. Idgaf what anyone else thinks i would take it and be happy with it.

Absolutely, I say. But my answer is less than objective because my only HOI was also at an executive course (160 yards).

I've read in the past that rather than others disputing the fact that it was one shot in fact holed, that it shouldn't count because the course offers 18 opportunities vs the typical 4 on a championship style layout.

I don't know, not trying to plead mine or yours case here. I freely admit that I'd prefer it to have occurred on a regular course but what can I say? It happened and a 1 went down on the card. So I too will humbly continue to claim it as a HOI.

(As if I were William Wallace) "FREEDOM!!!"

Yes. I play from shorter tees than most members of this forum but I would still take a HIO if I could manage to do it. Would think there's always luck involved but accuracy will give you more chances. There's a nice little Par 3 course in Lakeland with a 70 yard hole that you can easily take a six on with a bad tee shot.

First shot from the tee, which finishes in the hole, it is a hole in one

I am jumping on the bandwagon here and saying yes, it's an HIO. :D

Congrats !! Make mine a Guiness please !

Absolutely. A course we play is 6500yds par 72 130 slope. Hole #12 is a 97 yd par 3 when the pin is in front... it plays as little as 80 yds.

Absolutely. The shot has to be properly executed regarless of the distance. If I knock a ball in from 60 yards out for an eagle on a par 5, I am not saying give me a 4 since I was only 60 yards from the hole.

I played a course that had a temporary green last Sunday that made the 18th hole a 440 yard par 5, 100 yards shorter than normal. I made 4 but counted it as a par. A 440 yarder is not a par 5 for me. A 60 yard ace still counts IMO.

Agree with most, it's an ace, congrats! Tomorrow my skins group is going down to a course I've not played B4. Guessing we'll play it up on the whites and if this 'BLUGOLF' breakdown is accurate there are NINE par 3s on this layout. If I'm lucky enough to hole out I'm 100% counting the ace. I only have one ace in my life and it was beyond hideous.

I don't think it will be a super easy course because it's rated 0.7 strokes over it's par of 64 from the whites and slopes slightly harder than average too, at 116.
That said, I'd count an ace but if I play particularly well tomorrow and somehow shoot my age (I'm 66), or break 70 (would be first time), I will NOT be counting either.
1KHBG.PNG

Last edited:

Back