Should caddies get a medal if their player wins?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was curious so I looked it up and saw that caddies are considered like a coach and do not get a medal if their player wins one.

I would say that is a HUGE injustice to those that are so instrumental in helping an athlete win a medal. I am not saying the swing coach or mentor type person, but if the Gymnastic team wins gold or in this case a particular golfer wins, their ability to reach such a high level during the Olympics wouldn’t have happened without the caddie or coach.

Do you think a caddie should get a medal if their player wins one?

Caddie should 1000% or make the players play without a caddie!

Coach, I don't think so. There is a difference in helping someone prepare, and helping someone make make play decisions that direct affect the outcome!

I believe they should.

Heck yes or they should have to carry their own clubs & make all the decisions by themselves.

Simple answer is no.

Yeah, they should get a medal. These guys are part of a team. They are not what I would call a coach.

Besides, in just about any other sport, the teams coach gets a ring.

However, as already mentioned above, the idea of the players carrying their own bags, being out there alone is very intriguing to me. I'd like to see it. Trollies would be allowed I would think.

Should for sure as they had a part in earning that .

Well, they sure as hell do more than carry clubs.

My initial thought was no, but then again I can’t really think of any other sport that has a similar participant. I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

They do a LOT more than just carry clubs. They are partners out there. I absolutely think they should

My initial thought was yes but after thinking about it I don’t think they should. They are obviously a huge part of a players success and play a larger role than a coach but if they aren’t physically competing I don’t think they should be getting a medal.

I think they should personally. It's not the same dynamic as a coach would be and more involved that I think deserves the recognition just as well as the golfer.

I am surprised that they don’t. They give medals out for some strange events. The entire soccer team gets one even if they don’t get into a game. I would consider a golfer and caddy a team.

My vote is no.

My initial thought was no, but then again I can’t really think of any other sport that has a similar participant. I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
This was my initial thought too. I went to no but then if you think about it they are actually kind of part of the competition. Not really a coach.

They don't get credited for a major win, or any tournament win for that matter. They're acknowledged, at times, but not credited.

I don't mean to diminish their impact and I'm certain that neither would their players themselves. They're often exulted and deservedly so. But the person swinging the club executed the shot.

Just like Jack's, Tiger's, nor anyone else's caddie is awarded a major championship, neither should an Olympian's caddie be awarded a medal.

JMHO.

Are caddies considered major champions when their player wins one? Nope, so they shouldn’t be Olympic champions.

I go with no

They should get a medal that is 10% of the size the one the golfer gets.................................. made of chocolate.

No, but maybe a “I went to the Olympics and all I got was this lousy t-shirt” shirt.

If a manager/coach and non-playing substitutes of a football team can get one for the team winning a major trophy without being on the field of play, then I could see the argument for a caddy getting one as they are in the middle of the action helping their player win the medal

At the very least I think they should get some form of recognition, but at the end of the day, the player still has to make the shots

Back