Why is it that Cobra is the only major OEM with Single Length Clubs?

There are 2 or 3 brands that I've seen doing OL. Just not huge well known brands.

There is no way One Length irons are 2.5% of the total iron sets sold in the past year. Not remotely.

I've never seen a set in a store, never heard anyone (aside from internet forums) say they had even considered trying them and as I said in my previous post if there was that kind of volume being sold by Cobra then multiple other OEMs would be on the bandwagon by now.

Do you have an authoritative industry source or is this just your impression? Also, if you do have an industry source for this information can you please divulge it along with units or market share data?
Currently between 40-50% of Cobra iron sales are One Length. His industry source is the THP Event and speaking and playing with their VP Jose Miraflor and Head of Innovation Mike Yagley. I can support that statistic with Golf Datatech numbers.

There is no way One Length irons are 2.5% of the total iron sets sold in the past year. Not remotely.

I've never seen a set in a store, never heard anyone (aside from internet forums) say they had even considered trying them and as I said in my previous post if there was that kind of volume being sold by Cobra then multiple other OEMs would be on the bandwagon by now.
They are sold in both stores in Louisville KY (Golf Galaxy and Golf Headquarters) and both places have sold sets of them. I think @JB could tell you exactly but I would say that 2.5% is in the ballpark. That is despite the fact that every fitter in every store I have been in has poo-pooed the concept when I ask to demo them. That is a big pain point for Cobra or anyone else looking to sell OL irons IMO.

This thread took a different direction.

I have played OL for the last two seasons, and just switching recently after being fitted.

I still contend that if more professional players would take to OL and companies signed those players, you would see more OL in the market. Right now Cobra has spent a good deal of research and development on having a unique market with their OL. Other companies put some of their R&D to be unique in other areas. Like Callaway’s TT and AI. Each company is looking for a bit of a niche and today Cobra has the OL area.

"Do you have an authoritative industry source or is this just your impression? Also, if you do have an industry source for this information can you please divulge it along with units or market share data?"

Lots is speculation in this thread. Nothing wrong with that until you call someone out for it because they don't agree with your speculation.
I don’t think 50% is the number. As of last year, the Cobra rep said it was 30-35%. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is higher now, but don’t think it is 50%. I think they are having a banner year, but not sure what market share that they are at in 2021
This right here. I believe Jose said last year OL was about 35-40% of their sales. If they weren't making any money why would they continue to do it year after year?

For the golf equipment companies, by and large it is a copy cat industry. All the OEM's have adjustable drivers, hybrids, irons ranging from game improvement to players clubs, Anser style putters, tour level balls etc. So why is it that Cobra is the only one with Single Length clubs. Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist etc. all have strong R&D, technology and manufacturing departments so they could certainly put out a quality single length product. Is it that they don't have a big name gaming them like Bryson and Cobra? Is it that they don't believe in the product? Something else?

What percentage of golfers use the one length clubs versus standard clubs?
I would guess that number alone should probably give you your answer.
Doing R&D on a losing proposition is not good fiscal responsibility

In my opinion, Cobra was a second-tier, though big name, fairly-respected manufacturer. They had some well-known players on staff with multiple wins on the PGA Tour. They made good stuff and still do, however, they were never going to compete head-to-head with a TM or Callaway, Titleist or Ping. They needed a different angle and found it in Bryson, a top tier player with a very different approach than traditional. Though OL clubs were probably never going to change the way the golf masses think, it was an opportunity for Cobra to get a lot of free bang for their brand.

With Bryson as their poster boy, who would certainly garner plenty of attention by the media, not only for his prowess on the course but for the OL clubs he uses to do so, Cobra found a way to sneak a few extra percentage points of market share with no extra dollars spent from their budget. The free air time they got during televised PGA Tour events and the discussions surrounding OL clubs during those telecasts was well worth the investment for them. The biggest manufacturers, at this point anyway, don't need that big of an angle to get noticed. Their brands are strong already.

Until many more recreational and competitive golfers begin switching over to OL clubs---and stealing sizeable market share from the big boys---I seriously doubt any of the top 4 or 5 brands will sink millions into R&D on what may just be a passing fad. (My own belief is it's NOT a fad and WILL stick around. I just don't believe it will take over any sizeable portion of market share over the short term, say the next 5-10 years.) However, I would not be surprised to find that all the top brands have done some exploratory R&D so they are each prepared for the eventuality, should it ever come to that.

In my opinion, Cobra was a second-tier, though big name, fairly-respected manufacturer. They had some well-known players on staff with multiple wins on the PGA Tour. They made good stuff and still do, however, they were never going to compete head-to-head with a TM or Callaway, Titleist or Ping. They needed a different angle and found it in Bryson, a top tier player with a very different approach than traditional. Though OL clubs were probably never going to change the way the golf masses think, it was an opportunity for Cobra to get a lot of free bang for their brand.

With Bryson as their poster boy, who would certainly garner plenty of attention by the media, not only for his prowess on the course but for the OL clubs he uses to do so, Cobra found a way to sneak a few extra percentage points of market share with no extra dollars spent from their budget. The free air time they got during televised PGA Tour events and the discussions surrounding OL clubs during those telecasts was well worth the investment for them. The biggest manufacturers, at this point anyway, don't need that big of an angle to get noticed. Their brands are strong already.

Until many more recreational and competitive golfers begin switching over to OL clubs---and stealing sizeable market share from the big boys---I seriously doubt any of the top 4 or 5 brands will sink millions into R&D on what may just be a passing fad. (My own belief is it's NOT a fad and WILL stick around. I just don't believe it will take over any sizeable portion of market share over the short term, say the next 5-10 years.) However, I would not be surprised to find that all the top brands have done some exploratory R&D so they are each prepared for the eventuality, should it ever come to that.
Fwiw they outsell Titleist in clubs the last few years in golf stores.

wow that’s interesting. Would that more due to drivers or is that not really a known breakdown?

That may be very true, and I won't argue that point, because I really don't know the breakdown on store sales specifically. We both know that's not the whole picture, though. Titleist availability in stores is limited. They purposely don't sell through every type of retail outlet to better control and protect their brand. Custom orders, however, make up a large portion of their club sales. As far as I know, Titleist is still #1 overall, at least they were in 2020. With respect.

One club make sense if starting out in golf especially; and JB and others trying but I am over 60 so marginal gain to change swing at my age has kept me so far away. I personally thing concept works likely in hybrids and FW and 3-7 or so but not in scoring clubs unless one can spend hours adapting to 1 length - that being said I may try someday.

I don’t think 50% is the number. As of last year, the Cobra rep said it was 30-35%. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is higher now, but don’t think it is 50%. I think they are having a banner year, but not sure what market share that they are at in 2021
Golf equipment sales have risen sharply since the beginning of the pandemic, so if you aren't having a banner year, you are losing market share.

I've noticed that there are quite a few Cobra OL iron sets on the used equipment market. Craig's List, Ebay, 2nd Swing all have them available. This provides a hint that there may be a substantial number of people buying them, trying them, and then deciding to abandon them.

I've noticed that there are quite a few Cobra OL iron sets on the used equipment market. Craig's List, Ebay, 2nd Swing all have them available. This provides a hint that there may be a substantial number of people buying them, trying them, and then deciding to abandon them.

Confirmation bias possibly?

That may be very true, and I won't argue that point, because I really don't know the breakdown on store sales specifically. We both know that's not the whole picture, though. Titleist availability in stores is limited. They purposely don't sell through every type of retail outlet to better control and protect their brand. Custom orders, however, make up a large portion of their club sales. As far as I know, Titleist is still #1 overall, at least they were in 2020. With respect.
Okay how about total sales in woods and irons then. They may have been second-tier for a number of years especially when they were owned by Acushnet but they certainly haven’t been in quite a while

Wow, and Titleist’s parent company owned Cobra at one point. I’m playing Cobra with the exception of putter and love the product and the vibe. Just ordered a Snakebite and can’t wait to get it.
If I were an OEM I’d stay out of one length. It would feel like copying and just gives Cobra more credibility.

For the golf equipment companies, by and large it is a copy cat industry. All the OEM's have adjustable drivers, hybrids, irons ranging from game improvement to players clubs, Anser style putters, tour level balls etc. So why is it that Cobra is the only one with Single Length clubs. Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist etc. all have strong R&D, technology and manufacturing departments so they could certainly put out a quality single length product. Is it that they don't have a big name gaming them like Bryson and Cobra? Is it that they don't believe in the product? Something else?
because its a marketing gimmick. If single length were the way, everyone would be doing it. Its one of the many ploys that the golf industry does to try to convince you that you need new clubs and will play better with them.

because its a marketing gimmick. If single length were the way, everyone would be doing it. Its one of the many ploys that the golf industry does to try to convince you that you need new clubs and will play better with them.

It's not the way, but it is a way. What in golf does everyone do?

Okay how about total sales in woods and irons then. They may have been second-tier for a number of years especially when they were owned by Acushnet but they certainly haven’t been in quite a while
Okay, maybe I used the wrong choice of words. Did not mean to offend anyone. I don't believe Cobra is lower level quality at all (which I said already in my original post). I think they make some fantastic clubs. That's been proven. So does Mizuno and Srixon, but they aren't in the highest tier either. By "second-tier," I meant not one of the four biggest brands in U.S golf (who make up the first tier), nor does Cobra have one of the four largest bottom lines. That's all. That's not a knock on Cobra, at all. It doesn't change "In my opinion" (you know, the words I began my original post with). Man, tough crowd here.

IF beginners were all taught using them, and IF they were used in boxed sets that were reasonably priced, and IF more Pro’s used them, then more OEM’s would produce them. But for now, people start playing (for the most part) on hand me downs and cheaper box standard sets. Once the muscle memory of those are imprinted, making the switch becomes harder and harder. Personally, I don’t think I could finesse a wedge that is the length of a 7 iron- it would just feel wrong. The earlier in a ‘playing career’ someone picked them up, the easier it would be to move to them.

Please, teach me the one and only way to play golf.

Im not sure about everyone, but they have really helped me. I just put a regular self taught golf swing on the ball and get really good results(for me).
I think the only thing that is required is to have enough speed to get correct gapping and to be comfortable hitting a 7 iron.

I think a lot of the criticism of OL comes from those who have never hit them. Will they make a difference for a scratch player? Unlikely. For your average hacker, the adjustment period is quicker than expected, IMO. Many of the players who use OL clubs still use variable length wedges and hybrids. I agree adjusting to a longer wedge and shorter 4i/5i/hybrid is not for everyone. 6i-AW I was comfortable with after a couple of rounds.

No, it’s not for everyone, but it has worked well for me. I purchased a set of used F8s for my dad to try, he doesn’t golf often, but IMO, the less one golfs the better they will appreciate the OL concept and elimination of variables.

I don’t see them too often on the course, but to be fair, other than a driver here or there most of the guys I see on the course don’t have brand new clubs- most are playing 4+ year old sets, and OL hasn’t been around long enough to trickle down to the average (non-equipment junkie) golfer.

Back