Agree these grips suck in the humidity.

I actually had my 9 iron slide out of my glove hand somehow in the downswing the other day. Was the weirdest feeling.

Hello there....

E0882360-946E-4964-BCA9-2BF59185AB4A.jpeg

After a hectic week I'm super excited to get these on the course tonight for league play. I'm expecting a pretty high ball flight and some really strong forgiveness. Recently I've been playing my old p790 irons, so I'm not really expecting to see a big distance gain here. In fact, I'm going to just go on the course and plan as if I'm playing my normal irons. That shafts in here are KBS Tour 90, which I was once fit for back sometime around 2014-2015. I haven't had any experience with them since so it will be fun to be re-acquainted with those.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4 iron in the set? I'm trying to decide between a set starting at 4 or start it at 5 and pick up a Hogan UiHi 4 iron.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4 iron in the set? I'm trying to decide between a set starting at 4 or start it at 5 and pick up a Hogan UiHi 4 iron.

I would have to believe the EDGE EX 4 iron being more forgiving than the UiHi 4-22° utility iron. The UiHi utilities are one of the smallest on the market and is roughly just a fraction bigger than the PTx Pro irons.

B89F5603-9A9C-4D84-ADEF-922C099E8672.jpeg

These got their first-round yesterday. Conditions were not ideal as it was raining and the course was pretty wet, but still got some good feels from them.

Looks: Yeah they are more on the "chunky" side, but nothing really obscene to my eye. After the first hole, I really didn't think about the size once.

Sound: On some shots, I was getting somewhat of a hollow sound to them. One particular 8-iron shot stands out in my mind. I feel like the ball was struck well, ended up with 15 feet for birdie(which I missed because I still can't putt). The flight was high with a touch of draw. I noticed it a few other times as well, but that one really stands out.

Turf interaction yesterday was really poor. Not blaming these, as I mentioned conditions were not great. Out of the rough, I was hoping they'd cut through a bit more than they did.

Hit these today at the range during my lesson. Not a great day all around. It was 96° in Wilmywood with a heat index of 110°+:oops:🥵 These stock grips are el horriblè! My Golf Pride tour velvet BCT grips are still back ordered!👎 I’m happy with the forgiveness versus the PTx Pros. I’m not a fan of the sound when using range balls. Definitely a louder noise. But, when using my gamer (Q-Star Tour), it’s a pleasant muted impact sound.

I have a 7 iron tester on the way from Hogan as we sit here. Very interested to see how it compares to my Hogan Apex Edge irons...

I have a 7 iron tester on the way from Hogan as we sit here. Very interested to see how it compares to my Hogan Apex Edge irons...
Back in the early 2000’s I had a set of the two piece Apex Edge irons that these look a lot like the new EX’s. Interested to know how they compare performance wise…..

Should be coming tomorrow. I'll share my experience when I hit the range.

Got me a delivery today from my friends at FedEx...

Hogan1.jpg

I ordered a demo of the Edge EX irons and got a 7 iron with KBS stiff shaft. Pulled it out and did some comparison pictures to my existing Hogan Apex Edge irons circa 2003.

Side by side...
Hogan7.jpg

The Edge EX is very similar in look and dimension to my Apex Edges. A bit more weight in the bottom of the face on the EX's. Below is the EX on the top.

Hogan6.jpg

Very similar face length. The EX's looks a bit smaller but I think that has a lot to do with the satin finish vs. the polished surfaces on the Apex Edge's. From the back...

Hogan5.jpg

Hogan2.jpg
At address a little less offset on the EX irons, but again, I think the satin finish shows there being less offset than there is...EX on the right.

Hogan 3.jpg

EX on the right again.

Started raining when I took these pics so the range may have to wait until tomorrow. Very excited to try this new iron!

Got me a delivery today from my friends at FedEx...

View attachment 9020125

I ordered a demo of the Edge EX irons and got a 7 iron with KBS stiff shaft. Pulled it out and did some comparison pictures to my existing Hogan Apex Edge irons circa 2003.

Side by side...
View attachment 9020128

The Edge EX is very similar in look and dimension to my Apex Edges. A bit more weight in the bottom of the face on the EX's. Below is the EX on the top.

View attachment 9020130

Very similar face length. The EX's looks a bit smaller but I think that has a lot to do with the satin finish vs. the polished surfaces on the Apex Edge's. From the back...

View attachment 9020132

View attachment 9020133
At address a little less offset on the EX irons, but again, I think the satin finish shows there being less offset than there is...EX on the right.

View attachment 9020134

EX on the right again.

Started raining when I took these pics so the range may have to wait until tomorrow. Very excited to try this new iron!
Can’t wait to hear the comparison. I regret getting rid of mine way back when….

All right...

Took the demo EX 7 iron to the range last night with my Apex Edge set and had a nice time hitting balls. I had a lesson on Tuesday and spent that time working on a couple of things my instructor focused on. After warming up I pulled my current 7 iron and the EX 7 and hit several with each and here are my observations.

The EX is long. A full 15 yards longer than my Apex Edges. Not surprising given the difference in loft. Very high ball flight and a steep descent angle on the EX. Definitely looked a bit more compact at address than my Apex 7 iron even though holding them side by side does bear this out. I think it has a lot to do with the brushed finish on the EX vs. the shiny bits on the Apex Edge.

I could definitely feel the mass of the head on the EX. Paired with the KBS Tour shaft on it I found it difficult to feel the position of the clubhead when swinging. It didn't impact my ball striking, but I did notice it. I have the original Apex steel shafts on my Apex set currently. If I am to buy a set, I think graphite would be my choice in shafts.

Hits felt soft and solid with a somewhat deeper and more hollow sound than the Apex iron. Not displeasing in any way to me but I must confess I don't put a lot of stock into how a golf club sounds unless it sounds like the voice of my ex-wife. Mishits flew straight and got good distance.

Below is the club at address:

Hogan EX.jpg

I'm really stuck on whether or not to pick up a set of these... I liked them quite a bit but not sure I am seeing a great deal of benefit vs my current set. I have had them selected and in my cart a half a dozen times on the Hogan website. Maybe I'll get a tester in graphite to try out but by the time that happens the price will have gone up if what I read on the forum is correct.

Notes: All of these opinions and observations were made by a 24 handicapper, hitting from plastic mats without the aid of launch monitoring equipment.

Having my EDGE EX irons regripped with corded grips. The stock grips were terrible in the heat after 3-4 holes. Hey, Ben Hogan Golf, huge fan here…might be time to source other grips!🤷‍♂️ The DTC money savings are nice, but if I have to drop a 100 spot to replace new grips, not really helping the cause much!

Bumping for the 2021 Ben Hogan Experience guys! Don’t sleep on the EDGE EX irons!

How have people found them so far? They look good to me, but am a bit worried about the amount offset and thick top line. Are they alot bigger then the ptx pros? Unfortunately I cant get a demo as I'm in Australia. Any pictures or thoughts would be appreciated.

Dam the edge irons look alot thicker than the ptx pros. I wasn't expecting it to be that much bigger
The EDGE EX are definitely GI irons. Comparing the 2 irons, PTx Pro are a players iron. So, it’s like comparing Apex Pro to Apex DCB

Dam the edge irons look alot thicker than the ptx pros. I wasn't expecting it to be that much bigger

they are bigger. TBH though, once on the course, there isn't anything looking down on them that truly puts me off.

Back