How would you play this hole? Narrow window to green.

Lay up for sure. I love to try and take on dog legs but with a block right being my common miss it's way too risky there.

I’m hitting driver and aiming left center fairway and hopefully it cuts enough. Then a wedge in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tee it up on the right side of the tee, which reinforces the thought process of hitting a fade
Aim towards the left corner of the dogleg and hit the club that will put me to the corner or around it depending on the wind
Pick the next club based on the yardage left to the green

In terms of the tee shot, I have 2 holes at my home course that dogleg to the right (both with OB left along the entire length of the hole) so anything turned over left is gone and you are hitting 3 off the tee

Aim through the fairway with the driver and hope my natural shot shape drifts it to the right leaving a wedge in or hit my U500 4i and leave an 7i or 8i.

Being shorter off the tee is an advantage here, so driver with a bit of a fade, hoping for middleish fairway. Nice iron approach and a 2 putt par.

I’d hit 4 wood which is my fairway finder. That would likely leave me with a GW approach.

If I'm playing smart, a 5I/4H to the corner and playing in with a 7I/8I. If I'm feeling dumb, which is most of the time, I'm taking driver and trying to hit a fade over the left tree. Which I would probably top 30 yards setting up a crowd pleasing double bogey.

I’d rather not talk about the 138yd 5 iron, but for this thread I had to find a time where I didn’t make double on this hole! 😆 My aim point is around 200 with the 5 iron.
View attachment 9019396

Different clubs for me (probably 5w then 7i or 8i depending on the pin) but this is how I'd play it. Looking for 200 off the tee down the middle or just left; target distance is 150y in on the approach.

Is a high cut the one you expect to go way up in the air and move left to right, but actually has zero feet of curve, never gets more than 20 feet off the ground and goes left of where you were aiming?

With driver? Nah. It's the big banana slice that goes so far right that I actually want it to go MORE right on the off chance there's another fairway somewhere within reach.

If I was hitting the driver well that day I'd swing for the fences and hope for the best. On every other day I'm teeing up a 3w and aiming at the two trees on the corner of the dogleg. If it goes straight or draws slightly then I'm in the fairway, and if it cuts a little I'm hoping that I'll still have a shot in. Tough hole!

I'd be hitting 3W as that's my "have to get it in the fairway" club.

at least from the pictures.....this simply just looks like too difficult a hole period . Just too tight for most average mid to high cappers unless the ball striking is working well that day. I can certainly see loosing 3 balls on this one hole alone unless the ball striking is pretty darn precise.

I’d rather not talk about the 138yd 5 iron, but for this thread I had to find a time where I didn’t make double on this hole! 😆 My aim point is around 200 with the 5 iron.
View attachment 9019396

Depending upon how I'm hitting the ball.... 7W or 5W off the tee. 6H onto the green. And swear when it clips the tip of that tree. Seriously? They let the tree grow like that? Someone needs to trim that. It's not good for the tree.

There's golf course locally where they let a fork on a tree grow like that just to make the approach more difficult. In a recent windstorm the tree split and had to be taken out. If they'd only cut that fork, the tree would still be there. I warned them. But they don't listen.

I played Iron Valley on Saturday and faced this hole once again. I opted for the 5 iron but mishit it at the tree on the inside corner. I did not have a second shot due to the right side tree overhanging the green, but even with this miss, I had a better punch option than from deep in the right side trees. I think the 5 iron is the way to go; my miss is more workable than ok shots from other clubs, but a solid hit with the 5i would have put me in a perfect spot.

1627931638917.jpeg

I have to laugh at how many years it has taken me to learn to hit 'not-driver' on so many holes.

Last edited:
Back