How do you prepare?

• Hydrate prior to hot golf

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Drink while on the course

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • What is water? HAHA

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
Both 1 and 2? IF I know I am going to have a hot day or two on the course I will try and load up the day before by drinking extra water and having a electrolyte additive (have been using liquid IV lately).

Then regardless of the temp I shoot for having 64 oz of water and 1 electrolyte additive. IF it is hot I will drink more as I can.

They sell at costco now and comes in at less than $1 per packet
oh word? that's awesome. I may have to look into getting a pallet or so for my sports teams this fall for cramping and what not. Typically they get either gatorlytes (taste like **** haha) or pickle juice. Im a big fan of liquid IV, but it's always been too cost prohibitive for my sports med budget haha

I know you should always hydrate but have not always been good about it. Prior to my second Covid Vaccine shot I was told its a good idea to drink a lot of water so I drank a lot of water and told myself I need to do this on a regular basis even if its 4 16oz bottles a day one in the am one around noon one before dinner and one before bed. Doing it like that 64 oz isn't that tough to do and I think I have read that's a good target amount. I used to drink Powerade Zero on the course but im not sure that takes the place of water so now I drink water on the course ( in addition to the occasional beer or our fairly new tradition of Pink Whitney shots to celebrate birdies ). Recently a fiend of mine who is in pretty good shape started an intense workout program with a personal trainer and apparently went hard his first time there. . Did it in the morning, Golf League that night and wasn't feeling well. Might have had a couple beers after but apparently was dehydrated. Went home wasn't feeling well and ended up in the hospital for a week. Doing better now. That convinced me to take hydration seriously and I absolutely do it regularly now and take a Yetti with ice to the course and a 64oz bottle of water. Hope your feeling better @Snickerdog and I really think what happened to you and to my friend here should be an eye opener to all of us, particularly in the heat.

Water is very important during those hot days on the course!

How do you get ready for them? Do you prep prior to playing or are you a "chug water when you remember" kind of golfer?

The Grandaddy Crew spent 2 very hot days in Chicago and a few THPers spent some sweltering days in Myrtle Beach for the Mizuno Experience. I know I should have done a better job leading up to the weekend of consuming water but I like ice in my water. If I am at home it is much easier to get into it.
That's why I passed out the Liquid IV at Cog Hill. Knew we would need it.

- I'm really susceptible to Night Leg Cramps if I don't Hydrate.
If I use the Liquid IV with a Manganese regiment. I can keep the Leg Cramps away.

I used to say what's water... but not anymore. I'm 50 now. Being dehydrated isn't a good thing for me... I'll drink when I'm on the course and afterwards depending on how I'm feeling.

As someone who suffers in the sun but love golf I hydrate prior too as best as I can and during a round its not uncommon for put 60-100oz of water through the system.

That's why I passed out the Liquid IV at Cog Hill. Knew we would need it.

- I'm really susceptible to Night Leg Cramps if I don't Hydrate.
If I use the Liquid IV with a Manganese regiment. I can keep the Leg Cramps away.

Thank you for bringing them! I used 2. Where do you get them?

I drink a lot of water, I drink before a round and I drink during a round. I don't think that I'm going golfing tomorrow so I better drink today, I always drink a lot of fluids if they are available and if they are not I tend to search them out.

Man, I need to add this to the rather lengthy list of things I need to do to take better care of myself.

They sell at costco now and comes in at less than $1 per packet

What flavors do they offer and what is your favorite?

Over here , where it’s dry and can be humid , and sustained hot summers , individually l drink plenty lve sufferered from dehydration couple of times is mild heat (25 deg c) for 3 weeks working over water and shiny metal surfaces , not pleasant kidney stones.
A combo of ,water at room temp is best , electrolyte drinks in moderation and occasionally fizzy drink at end of round for quick refill of sugar ( also eat banana and salt coated cracker or nuts during round).
Comfortably drag my buggy and clubs around on multiple hot summer days no issues , would consume approx 2-3 litres on course.

I've played in Houston or Phoenix for the past 30 years and I don't typically worry about hydrating, even though it's plenty hot in the Summers. This year though, the always hot and humid Houston is at a whole new level and I've suffered cramps after 2 of my last 3 rounds. During my last round, I started drinking water and Gatorade before I teed off. Then I brought water (which I don't usually do) and NUUN tablets to add electrolytes. After all that, I still was dehydrated but didn't suffer the cramps of the previous 2 weeks.

While posting this reply, I realized that COVID has kept courses from putting water coolers out - THAT's a big contributor to dehydration as I would always stop for water before.

If i know it is going to be hot, i try to at least drink a 32oz gatorade before i leave for the course then fill it up with water to take with me. Drink that during the front nine, fill it at the turn and drink that on the back.

I want to say I hydrate properly before hot golf but that just isn't the case whether I'm actively trying to or not. I ALWAYS bring water to the course though. But at that point, I'm just trying to catch up to water lost, not stay ahead of it.

So far this summer, I have changed to only playing in the mornings. I do bring a cooler with water etc. Yesterday I finished 4 bottles of water plus a few more beverages before Noon.

Round in morning? I start with water waking up, at breakfast, and then drink a bit of Powerade or water on every hole.

If you are thirsty, you are too late.

If you are in 100F temps and or high heat and high humidity, you know what I mean.

And bring a rotation of 4 gloves and towels to dry off.

I try to start out by hydrating before the round and drinking water during as well. I will also drink beer during and after which can kind of negate some of the hydration. Here lately when I play in a 2:00 Wednesday game I will usually drink 20-30 ounces the night before I go to bed. I always have a large cup of water next to the bed and will drink from that during the night if I wake up. Sometimes I'll refill it during the night and I drink what's left in the morning. I'll then drink 3-5 bottles of water in the morning at work and will have a Body Armor during the round and usually one before bed that night. That along with the beer drinks leaves me feeling decent on Thursday morning minus the headache. I can tell the difference if I don't do that and have gotten leg cramps at night a couple times though nothing too bad.

We have our Club Championship this weekend which is Friday-Sunday. I plan to make sure I stay plenty hydrated and will also use the Florida Water for the towels to stay cool. Hoping that together they will help me stay energized and more focused for it.

I'm pretty good about keeping hydrated at all times. If I know I am going to play and I know it is going to be hot I will ramp it up the day before. If you are dehydrated before you start you are not going to be catching up. Plus is eliminates the drinking of beer on the course if I am having to chug water.

I should drink more water… I just don’t like it very much. (I suppose this means I die in the desert, with a canteen full of sand?)

I will be totally honest when I say I am horrible at hydration. I'm stupid, because days where I take a couple of large bottles of water up onto a roof with me while working I feel so much better. I follow that up with playing 36 holes in the same day with merely one bottle of Gatorade.

I always seem to start a good habit, only to lose it within a day or so. Maybe some day I can get it through my thick skull that I need to start it and stick to it :banghead:

I try hydrating a lot of time prior to getting to the course and also hydrate on the course. I do have to remind myself on the course as sometimes I forget to drink enough.

Especially during this long, hot summer, I have been drinking a bottle or large glass of water before hiitting the course and then have a sugar free sports drink of some kind going all the time. I will drink 3 or 4 of them during a round or just 2 of them if I am drinking any beer during the round. (don't judge me!)

If I am playing golf when I know the the weather is going to be nice, I will start drinking more fluids the day before, then will make sure I have sports drinks with me for during the round

If you are thirsty, you are too late.

Just wanted to highlight what you stated. It is important especially in the heat to remember this. Thirst along with dark colored pee are signs of dehydration.

Living in AZ i always bring a cooler with water in it. I typically will use NUNN tabs but just ordered some LMNT hydration packs that are really good. You just put one pack in 16oz of water or more. Heat stroke is no joke and i don't mind playing in the high heat but i always make sure i am prepared.

Back