Isn't the idea here that it's a golfer with a certain transition that's going to benefit here? Supports the idea you need to be really fit for it but also reviews are likely to be very golfer specific.

Isn't the idea here that it's a golfer with a certain transition that's going to benefit here? Supports the idea you need to be really fit for it but also reviews are likely to be very golfer specific.

txg is adamant that this is not a plug-and-play product.

Oban has an Airburst shaft that is the same price.....These shafts have different builds so as to fit a specific type swing/swingspeed.

Just feels to me like there are a lot of golfers who will have a very different experience with a product that is specific to a slow/smooth transition.

Just feels to me like there are a lot of golfers who will have a very different experience with a product that is specific to a slow/smooth transition.
Mine would not be good! I would guess 30-40 yards right!

So I am over a month in with my Autoflex. 7 rounds so far, in a some interesting conditions (rain, cold, wind, wet ground etc) and so far I have seen the following based on Arccos strokes gained calculation:

Improvement of 4.2 strokes on my driving and 5 strokes on my approach as well as dropping almost 5 strokes off my short game..... On the flip side, my putting has gotten significantly worse by over 5 strokes.

Initially I wouldn't have thought any of that is really related, but in thinking it through, I am hitting the ball farther while hitting roughly the same amount of fairways. So I have shorter clubs in to greens and thus hitting more greens. More greens hit is leaving less chances for wedges to get it up and down, also smaller chances for one putts and more chances for 3 putts...

Overall my handicap has gone down another stroke, but my handicap has been trending down over the last few months due to an increase in lessons/work put in on my full swing. Putting is still the strongest part of my game, just doesn't seem to be as crucial to my overall score as it once was. I still feel like the path for me to improve my game the most/fastest is in improving my full swing but looking forward to hitting a point where I will go back and focus on putting/wedges to try and dial those in.

I will keep updating as we go and the weather/ground conditions become a little more consistent, but at this point I am absolutely thrilled with the purchase. I don't know that it is the only option to try this type of experiment, but for many of us it is probably worth trying something longer and lighter to see if we get along with it. Some will, some won't that is the only thing I am absolutely positive of.

20210224_205049.jpg

So I am over a month in with my Autoflex. 7 rounds so far, in a some interesting conditions (rain, cold, wind, wet ground etc) and so far I have seen the following based on Arccos strokes gained calculation:

Improvement of 4.2 strokes on my driving and 5 strokes on my approach as well as dropping almost 5 strokes off my short game..... On the flip side, my putting has gotten significantly worse by over 5 strokes.

Initially I wouldn't have thought any of that is really related, but in thinking it through, I am hitting the ball farther while hitting roughly the same amount of fairways. So I have shorter clubs in to greens and thus hitting more greens. More greens hit is leaving less chances for wedges to get it up and down, also smaller chances for one putts and more chances for 3 putts...

Overall my handicap has gone down another stroke, but my handicap has been trending down over the last few months due to an increase in lessons/work put in on my full swing. Putting is still the strongest part of my game, just doesn't seem to be as crucial to my overall score as it once was. I still feel like the path for me to improve my game the most/fastest is in improving my full swing but looking forward to hitting a point where I will go back and focus on putting/wedges to try and dial those in.

I will keep updating as we go and the weather/ground conditions become a little more consistent, but at this point I am absolutely thrilled with the purchase. I don't know that it is the only option to try this type of experiment, but for many of us it is probably worth trying something longer and lighter to see if we get along with it. Some will, some won't that is the only thing I am absolutely positive of.

Would you be able to give any other thoughts on your driving performance? How much longer are you than previous? Is it club speed or ball speed or both?

Would you be able to give any other thoughts on your driving performance? How much longer are you than previous? Is it club speed or ball speed or both?

If you scroll back you can see ball speed increase in another post, personally I don't worry too much about the club speed, as ball speed is the only thing that really matters for distance. That is all things being equal, I would take more ball speed over more club head speed any day of the week, but I am guessing that the additional ball speed is coming from additional club head speed.

Distance wise, I don't know if that information really translates at this point. I had gained roughly 10 yards on GCquad, think that is probably on the low end of what I am seeing on the course, but as mentioned before the conditions I am playing in now are not really the same as what I was playing in before so that is why I have used the strokes gained as I think that information gives a better idea of how the shaft change combined with my own work is helping my actual game.

These shafts are so intriguing, I just wish they were a bit cheaper. I have no problem spending $$ on golf gear but this one makes it a bit hard to swallow in one shot. @JB are you going to get this one in the tech studio at some point?

09C42EFA-A7B9-4A9B-85E6-36FB640C87F6.jpeg
Just got autoflex yesterday and put a few swings on it after sim league. I need a lot more testing but I was seeing an increase of 8ish mph swing speed and had a few balls speed over 170.

This was the last swing I took and remembered to grab the phone to get a pic of the numbers.

Played in our first two day tournament of the year in what were awesome conditions (high 60s low 70s F with rather light wind, 10-12 mph at its worst) and now my overall distance is up about 20 yards (smart distance with arccos).

My strokes gained for driver has also improved by 8.3 strokes now (according to arccos metrics)... and I would say driving is probably the best part of my game currently. (5 3 putts and a 4 putt yesterday leave me less than confident with what used to be the saving grace of my scorecard, the putter).

Now... as I have said previously, I am doing a lot of work on my swing, and it has gotten progressively better, so not all of this improvement is attributable to the autoflex, but my approach game has also improved, but only by 3 strokes (again using arccos strokes gained).

I was discussing with a gentleman in our club and told him I don't know if the shaft itself is magic, or that going longer and lighter which increased the swing weight of the driver is what is stirring the drink, but so far I am very pleased with this "experiment" and can't imagine going to something else next time I do a fitting, but will definitely test things out again in the future.

Last edited:
Played in our first two day tournament of the year in what were awesome conditions (high 60s low 70s F with rather light wind, 10-12 mph at its worst) and now my overall distance is up about 20 yards (smart distance with arccos).

My strokes gained for driver has also improved by 8.3 strokes now (according to arccos metrics)... and I would say driving is probably the best part of my game currently. (5 3 putts and a 4 putt yesterday leave me less than confident with what you used to be the saving grace of my scorecard, the putter).

Now... as I have said previously, I am doing a lot of work on my swing, and it has gotten progressively better, so not all of this improvement is attributable to the autoflex, but my approach game has also improved, but only by 3 strokes (again using arccos strokes gained).

I was discussing with a gentleman in our club and told him I don't know if the shaft itself is magic, or that going longer and lighter which increased the swing weight of the driver is what is stirring the drink, but so far I am very pleased with this "experiment" and can't imagine going to something else next time I do a fitting, but will definitely test things out again in the future.

an 8.3 stroke improvement is MASSIVE. that's awesome.

an 8.3 stroke improvement is MASSIVE. that's awesome.

Thanks man, I am not sure how much is swing improvement, and how much is shaft, but there is some definite synergy there. Anyone who has ever played with me in a THP evenT knows I used to hit a over the top pull slice. I kept it in play, but my distance was legit about 215 on average. Yesterday my last 2 drives went 277 and 272. That is still long for me, but I hit 3 drives over 270 yesterday which is ******* bOnkers. I still had a couple in that 215 range, but those were mishits/poor swings. So to have my floor of distance on a moderate swing be what my average used to be is still hard to process.

Last edited:
I got my 405 autoflex last week
I am on holidays so have played the last 5 days with it
After 3 rounds i was thinking i had wasted my money was overswinging from the top and getting massive slices
Played a round today and all the members of my group were oh and ahing at the ball flight
Long and straight ss of 90 mph and average over 13 holes i used the driver was 225 yards
Still think that i can get more out of it
Playing a pxg proto x took the 15 gram weight out and replaced it with a 5 gram to get the swingweight somewhere near correct
Huge ballflight and carry lofted down from 10.5 to 9 deg and still launches way higher than my old oban kyoshi purple shaft
Very impressive indeed
Also love the feel
Not for everyone tho very much like a fishing rod
Needs some rounds and range time to get your body and head used to it
Now saving up for some fairway shafts!

AutoFlex is probably the most particular shaft I've ever worked with. It requires a precise build for it to even become a viable option for 99% of golfers. Too many golfers out there are buying these and then doing plug/play assuming it will just work.

I said I didnt think it was legal, well actually it is. I just wanted to clear that up. At least some version of them is legal since Justin Rose used it. Is that correct? or was it Adam Scott?

I said I didnt think it was legal, well actually it is. I just wanted to clear that up. At least some version of them is legal since Justin Rose used it. Is that correct? or was it Adam Scott?
Adam Scott but he couldn't keep the ball in play with it. I believe he moved away from it in his last tournament

Autoflex in X and XX is gaining popularity among California Senior scratch level tournament players. Good players who were getting 240 to 250 yard drivers shots with premium level major brand aftermarket stiff flex graphite shafts are getting 260 to 270 from Autoflex X or XX flex.

AutoFlex is probably the most particular shaft I've ever worked with. It requires a precise build for it to even become a viable option for 99% of golfers. Too many golfers out there are buying these and then doing plug/play assuming it will just work.

This guy obviously knows a lot more then me, but I will agree 1000%. I went to a fitter that I had experience with and they knew the head I was putting it in and gave me recommendations on length/flex etc for the build that they then did. Obviously would have liked to do the fitting in person, but this was the next best thing and way better than just ordering one and hoping it works.

Hi guys. I dont see this product going anywhere.

Got a few more rounds and some tinkering done

For me it is consistently longer than my previous fitted shaft old shaft was average 210 yards with a OMG i nailed it shot going 230 yards

My average is now 235yards with a OMG shot going over 250!

I hit one 270 yards with no wind help on the weekend on a par 4 hole with the old driver i usually hit a 6 or 7 iron to the green on that shot i was thinking sand or lob wedge

I was going a bit right with the original set up i put the heavy weight back in the heel and now just get a nice small cut aim left side and end up in the middle

My gir has gone up by 18% since i swapped shafts nuff said!

Hi guys. I dont see this product going anywhere.

It already is going places. I don’t think it’s going to overtake a massive part of the market, but it will be around for a while and it already has shifted a few things in the market already. I wouldn’t be surprised if larger OEMs try to do a version of this shaft.

So I have one more round before I get fit by one of the greats to something different, but in over 50 rounds with my Autoflex there have been good times and better times

I have been taking lessons and back to a committed fitness program (long way to go on both). But overall my handicap has gone down almost 5 strokes. In something that is probably not much of a coincidence, my strokes gained driving is down over 6 (was over an 18, now at a 12 index in that regard. I got the strokes gained down to 10 index at its lowest, but tearing my pectoral muscle and stopping overspeed training got me a little regression (more on that later).

Overall distance from beginning to now has been an increase of 30+ yards.

Now, getting this combo in front of a shaft guru (look up shaft up #3 if you want to follow that) will be interesting as I think their is something to this combo (lighter/longer) but I don't believe that the AF is the only way to get great results from that.

Most golfers I think would be better served by spending the money it costs for one of these shafts on lessons, I am the idiot that decided to spend it on both... but new and shiny are fun so I regret absolutely nothing of my purchase and while I won't be playing this combo indefinitely, if you find out that I sold this combo it means that Danny Le is the GOAT and he fit me into something I 1000% believe is better than this for me, which is a very high bar to clear.

I would love to try one of these pups. Guessing I'd make a mess of it though, as I can get quick from the top.

Back