Dear Arccos: I want a Divorce

I really just keep the laws of averages. I tend to keep score on a scorecard, so my primary use of Arccos is GPS and average distances. The GPS works fine and the distances I only look at after a round. I tend to have a few misses each round, but so long as I'm getting most of it, I'm good.

I was grandfathered in as I had the older set of sensors. After it goes subscription, then it's a real question of whether or not I need it or will continue to use it.
I think that was the primary reason I initially instituted it as well - I wanted something to track my club yardages. Of course once you get it and discover that it will essentially score your round for you of course you want to take advantage of that feature as well.
Maybe a bit of a break will be good for me, but I suspect that I'm done with the system. The dating period was cool, but I really don't think we're a match long term.

I think that was the primary reason I initially instituted it as well - I wanted something to track my club yardages. Of course once you get it and discover that it will essentially score your round for you of course you want to take advantage of that feature as well.
Maybe a bit of a break will be good for me, but I suspect that I'm done with the system. The dating period was cool, but I really don't think we're a match long term.
Unless you're making major ongoing changes (dare I say "improvements") in your swing, game or equipment, whatever you learned about distances and relative strengths and weaknesses isn't going to change much over the next year or two (or ten) anyway.

Amazing how people can have such different experiences. I wonder if location plays any factor in it…

I’m a big fan of Arccos and it’s worked great for me so far!

Is it only not tracking your wedge shots when using the Link?
It is amazing the varying experiences. I used the phone with mixed results, but the Link has changed it all. It even seems to pick up most all the putts.

You can gradually build up a decent idea of carry distances from occasions when greens are soft enough for approach shots to make ball marks and those wet days when your tee shots plug in the fairway.

Our greens are so firm that process takes a long, long time and my distances probably change quicker than I can accumulate enough ball-mark feedback. But if I played on a course where shots routinely left visible ball marks that would work pretty well.

But your point is well taken concerning Arccos or other GPS based shot trackers. They're only ever going to "know" about where balls end up after rolling out. And if you're not careful that can be misleading once you get up into 6-iron, 5-irons and hybrids.
If your ball rolls out all the time though, and that's what you play, you're going to want to know how far you .. roll out. The total. That's your ultimate number, with carry only being a concern if you're going to land on something other than the green, right? Your data is representative of your play.

If your ball rolls out all the time though, and that's what you play, you're going to want to know how far you .. roll out. The total. That's your ultimate number, with carry only being a concern if you're going to land on something other than the green, right? Your data is representative of your play.
I think both carry and total are equally important to know.

A problem with knowing total distances is you can only really "know" them under certain conditions.

I've played some links courses in the UK where I can't imagine anyone using something like Arccos to figure out their distances. Of course that's an extreme example. But there's still going to be a lot more variability in total distances than in carry distances.

I think both carry and total are equally important to know.

A problem with knowing total distances is you can only really "know" them under certain conditions.

I've played some links courses in the UK where I can't imagine anyone using something like Arccos to figure out their distances. Of course that's an extreme example. But there's still going to be a lot more variability in total distances than in carry distances.
Yeah, I've never been on board with the only really need to know carry mentality. Courses aren't measured in carry yards. If someone carries their 7i the exact same as I do, but rolls out 30' to my very little, their 7i effective/playing distance, which is what would be measured by gps tracking, is 10 yards longer than mine. So carry is planning for hazards/landings and certain conditions, and total is planning for end result outside of them. The total distance variabilty if say you bomb one and it kicks off the back of an elevated green and ends up 50 yards past are generally accounted for by tracking algorithms as outliers and don't really reflect in the averages. Same with the duffs, so I still feel like the typical distance given by them is the most effective representation of a person's playing distance, where they normally play. My stuff can be sorted by course and lie and all that to get more detailed on specific conditions.

None of it really matters though if the damn things don't work right to begin with! :confused:

What I would like is an easy-to-use scorecard app that would allow me to easily and conveniently enter my strokes on a hole from my Apple Watch.
That’s The Grint. Easy peasy scoring with a good GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy the strokes gained portion of it. I’ve had a few problems with the distances as well. I usually been just using when I’m out by myself. Then I see where I need work. Haven’t used it in money games or tournaments though.

I don’t love it like I used to. But I don’t hate it and want a divorce. The link helped and the fact that I don’t care about the system being super accurate. It works as a good gps device, but I think someday I will replace the smart grips with standard and just use a gps watch.

I had tried ShotScope in the past and just got an offer on a great deal for the V3 model. But I also like using TheGrint with a lot fewer hassles on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had Arccos and it was way too distracting. Had to edit every round always. Went to ShotScope and much better. Just go out and play and very little if any editing at all.

I think the best of feature of Arccos (at least for me) is the actual Caddie feature. What the AI Caddie thinks, based on all the data, gives you the best chance to make the best score on a hole. I’m a huge proponent of playing the %s in my golf game. Hero shots are great but rarely pay off. A real Caddie would recommend a different course of action. And so does the Arccos. One day the thing will probably start talking. And I love proving it wrong. Which I rarely do. So yes it misses a shot here and there but who cares. What you are doing while you play is not shot tracking as much as giving the AI more data to help make better decisions on the course. And to ultimately shoot a better score. Missing a shot here and there does impact the overall data.

If you don’t want to fool with it during the round then just start the round on the first tee and forget about it. Just play. On a phone just use the main screen with yardages and club recommendations. On the watch you can set pin locations when it asks if you want but you don’t have too. Clearly having an Apple Watch makes the Arccos a better product. The Link did not fill that gap very well.

Unless you're making major ongoing changes (dare I say "improvements") in your swing, game or equipment, whatever you learned about distances and relative strengths and weaknesses isn't going to change much over the next year or two (or ten) anyway.
This is so true. I've been the same distance, give or take a couple of yards over the last 15 years and through two sets of irons.

For whatever it’s worth, the app has worked really well for me using my phone in my front left pocket (where it is 100%of the time I’m wearing pants.)

sure it’ll miss a shoot or two every round but their easy to identify and correct. The data I get from the app far outweighs that minor inconvenience.

If mine even missed just 10 shots, I'd consider it a win...phone in/out of case, mic up/down... The only thing left to do is have someone hold the phone up to me while I swing?

If mine even missed just 10 shots, I'd consider it a win...phone in/out of case, mic up/down... The only thing left to do is have someone hold the phone up to me while I swing?
Mine records shots well while it’s recording my swing on the golf selfie stick. Just saying!

It’s disappointing to see the poor experiences folks have had with the tracking. These sensors are one of my most fun golf purchases! I love the data and running back through my rounds afterwards.

My experience with these tracking told me nothing more than I already knew.

Git Gud.

I enjoy the strokes gained portion of it. I’ve had a few problems with the distances as well. I usually been just using when I’m out by myself. Then I see where I need work. Haven’t used it in money games or tournaments though.
I actually had to get special permission to use Arccos during a tournament last month. They had a local rule saying phones were forbidden on course. I had to show the tourney organizer that it was a course GPS and that it didn’t calculate for slope.

During my round on Thursday, Arccos missed 1 drive, 4 chips, and most of my putts. I tried clicking the Link beside the flag to set its position, but I must be doing it wrong because it did not pick it up once. I have a Samsung Watch with the app, but haven't used it yet. Would it be better for setting pin positions?

Back