Grip Pressure.....How do you do you?

Based on some of the videos of Tiger letting the putter just fall out of his hands, I would have to consider myself quite high. 8-9

Am I really going to be the first one to honestly answer that I'm probably about a 15 on a scale of 1-10? The putter, on the other hand is honestly around a 2. But full swings, the right hand probably couldn't get any tighter while the left hand is just there for balance.

Probably a 6. But if I’m conscious of it I can dial back to 4.

Am I really going to be the first one to honestly answer that I'm probably about a 15 on a scale of 1-10? The putter, on the other hand is honestly around a 2. But full swings, the right hand probably couldn't get any tighter while the left hand is just there for balance.

So effectively the grip of death !? Lol

I do better when I start out with a 3-4, and build it up to 6, and then 8 through the ball.

Putter - start at 3, go to 5.

I think it's easier to start moving the club with a lighter grip and then using more pressure as speed builds.

Last edited:
this is my mental image of my grip

There’s always been the idioms of “like shaking a Lady’s hand…” or “holding a bird…”

I call BS. At the club head speeds being generated these days, no chance unless you want to go searching for your driver after every tee shot. For me it’s about trying to get the fingers gripping strongly WITHOUT tensing up the muscles in the forearm and wrist. You want those to be supple while maintaining a firm hold of the club with the fingers. Now, I’m not saying I’m the best at it, but it’s in my head before each shot.
My “holding a bird” grip is only used while putting. Because there is no chance the putter will go spearing off into the jungle!!

I used to be a 9-10. I choked the club to death. I have worked really hard and I am more like a 6-7 now. But with my putter and if I am chipping I have a lot of "feel" and am a 2-3.

I'd say i'm 5ish depending on the shot.

My grip is something I always feel I'm struggling to be consistently correct with. My grips wear out under the thumb pad of my top(left) hand, especially with the driver. I have to make a conscious effort to get might top hand grip correct.

As bad as I think my grip is, I've never had a pro mention it in any of the lessons I've taken (shrug)

Idk, it is what it is. Maybe a 5, or 6.

Years ago I tried Furyk's grip. That's probably the lightest grip I've ever tried. Never lost a club, but it felt so loose, it was uncomfortable.

Before golf school I was a bit too tight (probably 9-10)

After GS, I learned I should be at a 3-4. Still working on it.

This is something I've been thinking about recently. I'm probably in the 7ish range, but have fairly passive wrists and hands in my swing. General miss is a right push fad/slice. Next time on the range I want to play around with trying to lower my grip pressure and see if it lets my hands be a bit more active. I'd like to see how LIGHT I can grip the club and still hit good shots, then maybe tight it back up bit. All while seeing it does much to my ball flight. Looking forward to the experiment, and the hypothesis will be a lighter grip pressure will help throughout the swing as relaxed smooth motions are the most efficient and fastest.

Mine's probably a bit too much. I think the grip under my thumb felt like it moved the last time I played during a shot...

Before golf school I was a bit too tight (probably 9-10)

After GS, I learned I should be at a 3-4. Still working on it.

Like Manola says Dont choke the chicken....on the course...thats just nastiii

Last edited:
So effectively the grip of death !? Lol
I suspect so. I will try to conciously make note of it when I play next and see if I'm actually lighter than I think I am.

I will say that before I took lessons I would wear out the palm of a glove in about 4 rounds. After lessons I can make a glove last all year if it doesn't get wet or soaked in sweat during a round. That must speak to something right?

I suspect so. I will try to conciously make note of it when I play next and see if I'm actually lighter than I think I am.

I will say that before I took lessons I would wear out the palm of a glove in about 4 rounds. After lessons I can make a glove last all year if it doesn't get wet or soaked in sweat during a round. That must speak to something right?
yes or your using inferior quality gloves lol ) 😀 even the two glove theory fascinates me , everywhere else For a purpose we wear two, but golf is almost exclusively 1 with some exceptions ,,, the logic says one is good two should be better to enhance grip ... lt was only in last 8 years lve used a glove previously was bare handed .😀

I live somewhere on the lower half of the scale. I try to have least tension as i can. At address (while addressing he ball) my right hand is open and my left is lightly gripping.
What happens once I grab for the start of the swing and afterwards I really cant say but there are some rare times I can almost lfeel/et the club slip out of my hands.
So Im definitely on the lighter side grip pressure wise.
of course none of this to be confused with a weak or strong grip position.

Too much. I am probably gripping it at least a five at address and 9-10 through the ball. Consciously, need to try and lighten it.

Lightening my grip pressure has been the next evolution in my swing. I don't get to play as much as I'd like to and my grip pressure had been growing due to the fact that I want to hit bombs. That said, there's a huge difference between swinging hard and swinging fast. Tension was definitely slowing me down. On a scale of 1-10, I'm now gripping at a 3 or 4, and interestingly enough, I can now feel the weight of the club more easily in the swing. I'm also able to time my release better. It's a growing process, but working my way through it.

Varies from a 3/4 to a 10. Depending on how badly I jacked up the prior hole.

try for a 3 to 4, but I have to think about it consciously. I take a deep breath and exhale before I take my back swing, allowing my body to relax and not be tense.

Back