Golftraveldude Shirt Giveaway

Do you have a Castle Pines shirt?

Well i didnt guess Morefar until a bit too late. Thanks for the google search across the country and detailed views of virginia!

That was fun! What an intriguing course.

That was fun. Good contest there.

I read about this course as I had never heard of it. Seems to be shrouded in a bit of mystery. How many times have you played and what's it like?
Course was owned by AIG. But within control of Hank Greenburg. When Hank left AIG he took the course with him. He had Starr set up and created the same situation at Starr. 20 corporate members. Only open for play M-F. It was Hank's personal oasis during weekend. Course is half in Danbury,CT and Brewster,NY. Many of the top execs of AIG and then Starr lived near by and would helicopter into Manhattan. The 20 corporate members got 2 tee times a week. One was fixed as in you had 10am on Tuesday. The other was a floater. Thus 20 x 2 or 40 tee times a week of 5 days. 8 tee times a day...So I worked in Hartford area about 45 minutes away. What would happen is stuff would come up and people would cancel...Well that tee time was being paid for whether you showed or didn't...So the Sec of Pres had a list of people to call to fill in for those cancelled tee times. I was on the short list for maybe 5 years. I would get called sometimes day before...and not once did I say NO. That's when you really wanted to be on my short list...Ha
The course was nice. Excellent shape. But so remote. You felt like you were alone out there. It was a great spot to take your absolute hacks. They could wiff and top and no one was watching judging...and I would just try to put my client at ease. Great days there. The course had a hand full of holes which had statues on them. And one hole had statues in the bunker.
I miss that place. I have tried to get back but they won't respond to me.

Sounds like you have a lot of great memories there! So cool!

I played Morefar about 100 times and always with corporate coverage of expenses. My guess is at no time did I not get something from the shop. So probably 65 shirts from 1990 to 2010 and jackets/sweaters/etc also...I'd supply good friends with the stuff too as they had heard the stories....Statues in the bunkers....My biggest score was a bud had a bud who had never been. He reached out to me and wanted to take him there....We did and then he advised he would reciprocate...Well that was the plan from the beginning although we played it cool...He was a member at Pine Valley. We went there a few weeks later....My one time there.
I just texted my dad who was a president for AIG in the mid 90s, he said he played Morefar a bunch. I had never heard of it.

@GolfTravelDude Thanks for this awesome thread! Can't wait to meet you in person. Ready or some stories. Don't tell them all to @HarlettoScara before the rest of us get to Vegas, he won't want to hear them twice LOL!

wow, this is a thread I wouldn't normally make it all the way through but I'm glad I've caught up. lots of goodness in here. well done @GolfTravelDude !

I should know this!

@GolfTravelDude Thanks for this awesome thread! Can't wait to meet you in person. Ready or some stories. Don't tell them all to @HarlettoScara before the rest of us get to Vegas, he won't want to hear them twice LOL!
I genuinely can't wait to hear all the stories. Feel like I'm going to be just happy sipping on a few beers and listening to Doug's stories all weekend - will be incredible!

How did I miss this yesterday?

Just read a WSJ article on the course. That’s one interesting course

Great contest. I would be swimming in an XL so I'll sit out this one. Thanks for sharing with the community!(y)

Thank you @GolfTravelDude :) received the shirt today. Blue stripe, my favorite 20210811_203121.jpg
20210811_203128.jpg

Back