fishing thread for cats and carp

First time out this year...hopefully I catch something...but nice to just be out fishing.

View attachment 9001972

That's a pretty nice spot. Guessing you caught nothing?

I'm still waiting for my reels to be repaired, parts are available this month so hopefully soon. River is still too high anyhow so it doesn't really matter. Went smallmouth fishing yesterday for my first time out but nothing. One was ambushing shiners by a concrete bridge support but could not get it to strike.

I did get some new rods this Christmas off the Carp Angler Ground tackle trading forum. Got a set of 12ft 3.5 TC Sonik Dominator X rods, used once, for 100$ bucks shipped. Couldn't pass that up! Carbon fiber, line clip which will help in the river, and thin.

rod3.jpegrod5.jpeg

That's a pretty nice spot. Guessing you caught nothing?

I'm still waiting for my reels to be repaired, parts are available this month so hopefully soon. River is still too high anyhow so it doesn't really matter. Went smallmouth fishing yesterday for my first time out but nothing. One was ambushing shiners by a concrete bridge support but could not get it to strike.

I did get some new rods this Christmas off the Carp Angler Ground tackle trading forum. Got a set of 12ft 3.5 TC Sonik Dominator X rods, used once, for 100$ bucks shipped. Couldn't pass that up! Carbon fiber, line clip which will help in the river, and thin.

View attachment 9002522View attachment 9002523
Yeah got the skunk....got out a little too late in the day.

Fishing for carp but these guys won't give up. Guess it's better then a skunk. Both were 7 pounds.

IMG_20210513_090814.jpgIMG_20210513_090412.jpg

Fishing for carp but these guys won't give up. Guess it's better then a skunk. Both were 7 pounds.

For an accidental catch those aren't too shabby. I run into channel cats from time to time on the Susquehanna unfortunately doing my carping trips and they tear up my hair rigs to no end. Always are hooked in the corner of the mouth, too, which is a pain to unhook. I wouldn't mind if they were larger but its just too much hassle with the smaller fish. At least you had the hope of landing a carp and not blanking.

I FINALLY got a call from my reel guy up in NY tonight and he's shipping my Daiwa's back to me as the parts came this past week. Not happy with Daiwa but 57$ shipped for all the repairs plus disassembly cleaning/lubing 2 reels I'm happy with. I'd never be able to get one of these back together again properly. hehe.

I'm shooting for Memorial Day weekend to get out. I've got 4 days off so hopefully river complies and stays low.

Polish delicacy apparently. Sold in a few supermarkets in the UK to please the Eastern European crowd. To avoid the muddy flavour they are reared in fresh water for a couple of weeks before slaughter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Apparently they are liked in Asia also, we had problem with them in waterways in Victoria Aus. Think a eradication program reduced numbers , they use them as garden fertiliser “ Charlie carp” amongst other brands

For an accidental catch those aren't too shabby. I run into channel cats from time to time on the Susquehanna unfortunately doing my carping trips and they tear up my hair rigs to no end. Always are hooked in the corner of the mouth, too, which is a pain to unhook. I wouldn't mind if they were larger but its just too much hassle with the smaller fish. At least you had the hope of landing a carp and not blanking.

I FINALLY got a call from my reel guy up in NY tonight and he's shipping my Daiwa's back to me as the parts came this past week. Not happy with Daiwa but 57$ shipped for all the repairs plus disassembly cleaning/lubing 2 reels I'm happy with. I'd never be able to get one of these back together again properly. hehe.

I'm shooting for Memorial Day weekend to get out. I've got 4 days off so hopefully river complies and stays low.
I have never fished the susquehanna, I see guys big flathead. Have you ever fished for or caught them?

How is the carp fishing?

I have never fished the susquehanna, I see guys big flathead. Have you ever fished for or caught them?

How is the carp fishing?

I always wanted to but never tried. Most people I see along the bank are fishing for channel cats its seems up here in the Wilkes-Barre area. Never really ran into anyone specifically going for flatheads. In fact, every time I see someone pull a flathead out its always below Sunbury. Not sure why its just what I have noticed.

In terms of carp I think its pretty good. I don't catch huge numbers of fish but I catch larger fish. Having fished places where I'd land 10 fish 7-12lbs in 5 hours or so I'd gladly take 1-2 larger fish. Now, who knows what it is like where you are, or even half a mile from me.

Its really no different than fishing a lake but you have the current to deal with. I usually fish eddy's especially where the current and eddy meet. See where the water goes from shallow to deeper while walking along the bank. Stuff like that. Near boat launches are great areas too since they may get used to coming to look for a free handout from the boats of what people chuck in the water. Holding bottom is the hardest part but carp don't like the current so they are either really deep or in the shallows. Even though I'm not casting 100+ yds I still like the heavier, 12ft carp rods for pulling fish from areas you don't want to be running too.

I like fishing for cats. This is one my little/larger brother caught a few weeks ago.
91905591-8D93-4F4A-BAD3-AE0FC22261BC.jpeg

Nothing huge but still fun and takes care of the skunk. 7.5lbs

IMG_20210602_101008.jpg

Nothing huge but still fun and takes care of the skunk. 7.5lbs

View attachment 9010737

That's a nice cat there. Those are the ones that really tear up my hair rigs, their grippy teeth fray the braid.

I went Sunday and yesterday. Had one on Sunday but lost it when the carp thrashed his head and out comes the hook. Spent the next 5 hours in the rain with no fish and the chills until Monday morning.

Yesterday I took off work for a longer weekend and went out and did really well. River started to come down and a front passed so conditions were good. Sunday had branches floating down and leaves coming down underwater. Wasn't fun.

All were caught on some sort of corn. I got 3 on plain old deer corn just soaked and boiled. One was on the same corn but I soaked it in Wacker Baits' Obession For Carp. The largest fell victim to Wacker Baits' Scopex flavored corn. It probably didn't matter much to be honest.

21lb 4oz
june_21lb4oz.jpg

14Lb
june_14lb.jpg

15lb 13oz
june_15lb13oz.jpg

19lb 8oz
june_19lb8oz.jpg

28lb 4oz
june_28lb40z.jpg

That's a nice cat there. Those are the ones that really tear up my hair rigs, their grippy teeth fray the braid.

I went Sunday and yesterday. Had one on Sunday but lost it when the carp thrashed his head and out comes the hook. Spent the next 5 hours in the rain with no fish and the chills until Monday morning.

Yesterday I took off work for a longer weekend and went out and did really well. River started to come down and a front passed so conditions were good. Sunday had branches floating down and leaves coming down underwater. Wasn't fun.

All were caught on some sort of corn. I got 3 on plain old deer corn just soaked and boiled. One was on the same corn but I soaked it in Wacker Baits' Obession For Carp. The largest fell victim to Wacker Baits' Scopex flavored corn. It probably didn't matter much to be honest.

21lb 4oz
View attachment 9010991

14Lb
View attachment 9010993

15lb 13oz
View attachment 9010995

19lb 8oz
View attachment 9010996

28lb 4oz
View attachment 9010998
Nice....really nice fish.

Yes the cats tear up my hair rigs as well. Plus their mouths are hard as rocks...cant get my hooks out, sometimes, without bending them.

Been an ok year. Last few times out are ok. Nothing huge but a fish is a fish. This is from green lane lake. Largest was 10 smallest was 6lbs.

IMG_20210713_165846.jpgIMG_20210705_093838_523.jpgIMG_20210705_093838_565.jpgIMG_20210629_121357.jpgIMG_20210629_102940.jpgIMG_20210628_105244.jpg

What you catch them on?
I got skunked last time I went. I made homemade RootBeer boilies and bought some Tigernuts to try but blanked all day.
I've been catching them on oat pack bait with fake corn. It's funny I never caught anything on fake corn but it's great for me this year.

Never tried tiger nuts. Tutti frutti bollies are usually my go to.

I've been catching them on oat pack bait with fake corn. It's funny I never caught anything on fake corn but it's great for me this year.

Never tried tiger nuts. Tutti frutti bollies are usually my go to.

I might have to give it a try. I got my free "kernal" in my CAG welcome kit but never gave it a thought. Might have to try it out next time. I always figured the real stuff has starches and stuff that might give me that advantage over it but people swear by it.

I might have to give it a try. I got my free "kernal" in my CAG welcome kit but never gave it a thought. Might have to try it out next time. I always figured the real stuff has starches and stuff that might give me that advantage over it but people swear by it.
But I am replacing it a lot. It does seem to fall off when fighting a fish.

So, the boy decided to try to catch one of the grass carp in our pond. I let him cause I didn't think he'd be able to get it to bite. I was wrong.
View attachment 9020792View attachment 9020794
They eat vegetation only supposedly but have been caught on many other baits which seems odd. I landed one on a corn flavored boilie that was 58lbs. Looked like a torpedo.

Did it survive? Grass carp have a tendency to exert themselves too much and are difficult to revive back.

Got 2 yesterday. Here is the larger one. The batteries died in my scale and I don't pack extras until now so my loss. I'm guessing this to be upper 20s at least.
IMG_20210807_154645918_HDR.jpg

@Necroshine It appears to have made it, at least we haven't found it yet. I told my son that I didnt thinking would survive after the fight. They are said to be less effective at grass management in ponds after they get that big, verses younger carp so it's probably time to add some young carp anyway.

He caught it on bread that he pressed around a hook.

Been about a month since I've been out since the river has been up but finally got out last Saturday. Current was a bit stiff 20-30yds out and shoreline was muddy, but had a good 5 hours. Landed two, both on WB&T Scopex flavored corn w/ method mix of oatmeal, bread crumbs, molasses, corn, and pakka pellets around the lead.

I also bought some flavors from LorAnn for cheap on Ebay to try. Made some Tutti Frutti boilies and ended up getting a run on them but was away from rods too far, guess fish dropped it by then.

This one was 23lb 4oz
Sep_23lb4oz.jpg

This one came in just above 18lb. He also fought better than the heavier one. Go figure.
Sep_18lb.jpg

A shot of my rig w/ the method mix around the lead and my really bad shrink tubing job on this particular setup.
IMG_20210911_105927525_HDR.jpg

2 nice carp and 4 cats today. Koi carp was 14lbs and mirror was 24lbs. Mirror was too big and slimy to pickup. Great day with my dad.

20220615_105157.jpg20220615_094342.jpg20220615_083126.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone get out yet this year? Too cold in PA. Still got a couple of months before I bother.

Man I'm excited to get out and try out my new reels. Targeting flathead catfish this year. Never caught one. I have caught hundreds of channel cats but no flats.

Back