Trying to understand the point to an electric push cart?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm definitely not in the pushcart mafia. I rarely walk to be honest, but it's only because I play all over the place and generally the cart is included. I'm very much considering a membership at either a semi-private or private club, and rarely are the cart fees included, so in this case it makes sense financially to walk as much as I can.

Which leads me to my question, I don't know that I really understand the advantage of an electric cart? Is it literally that I just don't have to push it? Or are they more intuitive than I realize as in they are pretty much self driving based off of GPS? I'm just trying to justify the 1000+ dollars if I were to go down this route? What are all the advantages I may be missing over a good ol push cart?

It is indeed mostly just a bit more energy preserving for you as you don’t have to push the cart. Especially on courses with lots of hills I see a bigger advantage.
Other differentiators might be included GPS and further statistics tracking (distance walked, duration etc) or having a remote control.
whether it is really worth the additional money? I am not sure. I am member of the push cart mafia, my wife joined the electric movement ins year ago.

Walker here. I prefer to carry but also use a push cart. And I am all in for an electric push cart. Lots of up and down, and pushing a cart turns out to be a bit hard on my back. I stay fit, and my lungs and legs are not an issue. Walking while my bag and cart tool along without any impact on my back is appealing. (y)

Energy conservation is the biggest one for me. My course isn't the hilliest out there but there are consistent up and downs throughout. That's all it would come down to for me since my push cart just broke and I've been strongly considering an electric caddy. THP has also done a great job reviewing some of them and that has also swayed me to believe in it more

For me, it absolutely comes down to hills and shortcuts I can take. Think of pushing your grocery cart at the store: that thing isn't so fun to push when it's filled to the brim. Everything is subject to being a little more sore the next day, especially if you had to walk 6 miles with it. Not having to push 50 pounds or more is quite lovely. Legs aren't quite as sore, back isn't quite as tight. I have more energy going onto the last hole than I do with my manual push cart.

I'm fully committed to the Pushcart Mafia and have also been considering the electric route when it comes time to replace. For me, it's not just about conserving some energy, but also the ability to potentially speed things up a little. If I'm making my way to the green, I could conceivably move my cart to a spot that would allow quicker movement from green to next tee box. Or allowing me to look for a ball without pushing my cart all around or walking back to it after making a circle.

Plus the "cool factor" is pretty high!

Saving energy from not having to push is a big one for sure. I’d go one step more and say an electric cart with a remote can also save time. Two areas an electric cart with remote is helpful:
1. Looking for a lost ball in the rough. I can search around and when I find my ball I simply bring the cart to me rather than go fetch the cart.
2. Walking up to greens I can grab my putter (ok, and a wedge if needed) and send the cart to the far side of the green near the next tee. That way when I’m done putting I don’t have to walk back around the green to fetch the cart.

Electric carts are also nice because you can load up your bag with stuff knowing you don’t have to push it around.

The 2 big things for me as opposed to a pushcart would be preserving energy and having to take the route required by a pushcart. Years ago I bought a nice pushcart and used it for a couple rounds and went back to carrying because I found a pushcart to be very inconvenient. If I need to cross something that my cart requires me to take a significant detour I can send my electric cart around. I still have to pay attention to it but it's easy most of the time.

If I am searching for a ball i dont have to drag my bag around the whole time, or come back for it. That is more of an advantage than I would have thought. As others have said, I dont worry about dragging it down hills or holding on or sending it down hills.

I carried for many years and it has worked great for me. An electric cart is definitely a pricey investment. You can ride a lot of rounds for what you spend so I think you need to love to walk a course.

For me, it absolutely comes down to hills and shortcuts I can take. Think of pushing your grocery cart at the store: that thing isn't so fun to push when it's filled to the brim. Everything is subject to being a little more sore the next day, especially if you had to walk 6 miles with it. Not having to push 50 pounds or more is quite lovely. Legs aren't quite as sore, back isn't quite as tight. I have more energy going onto the last hole than I do with my manual push cart.

If my course had more hills, I'd seriously consider an electric cart. I push because I have a bad shoulder and carrying bothers it more. But I also hate taking a cart. At the same time, I really don't like pushing up/down big hills, in some ways it's more annoying than carrying in those situations.

Sometimes pushing a cart up a hill will be a major pain, I'd rather just focus on my path, make sure I won't break an ankle, and not have to worry about knocking it over. While an electric may have its drawbacks, like trouble making it up a hill or maybe toppling over I dunno, it sounds really great for someone who walks alot

I have seen a couple of these on the courses around here and they are really cool. The first time I ever saw one it was going down hill at a brisk pace and I thought it was a push cart that had gotten away from a golfer :D

From what I can tell as some have stated about electric carts - it is about just walking and not having to push anything, not sure other than some additional technology what else would be an advantage. One disadvantage outside of cost, is that most of them are kind of bulky and don't store as compact as a push cart.

I do walk quite a bit certain times of the year when I can with a standard push cart and really like doing that. I could definitely see an electric cart, but I wouldn't fork out the buckos for one.

Back issues or old age but still want to walk. Pushing a bag for 18 holes may still be cumbersome for some players who could still walk but can’t push a bag up a hill very easily.

Rented an electric cart yesterday for the first time. One that followed an x-mitter clipped to my belt. Was a sweltering day 96F/104HI and I definitely noticed a major energy conservation BUT the biggest thing I noticed was how easy walking completely unencumbered was. No back or leg creaks, hands and forearms just swinging naturally so they never tightened up like they always have in the past. Certainly a big advantage over pushing my cart. But being older even the riding cart causes some of that. Getting in and out of a seated position dozens of times, absorbing all the bumps, gripping the wheel and having to pay attention while steering it etc...

I've never played with a caddy before (or a powered walking cart) so I'd never realized how much more relaxed my back legs and especially hands and forearms would be playing each shot. Or how decisively focused I was as I got to my ball because I didn't have to think of anything else to get my clubs there. Played great and am now looking into getting my own follow cart soon. Dicking around with a remote might be a distraction I don't want but I need to try a round or two that way too since remote units cost a little less. I realized yesterday that this all has to be of significant benefit to pros with their caddies taking care of much of it.

Last edited:
Don’t underestimate the physical energy saved. Getting an electric trolley knocked shots off my game and made golf more enjoyable.

The primary reason I'm lusting for an electric trolley is to bring pain relief to my shoulders.

I had much rather walk than ride when playing golf. It just puts me in a better swing rhythm and mindset. But my Clicgear gets heavy as heck as the round progresses.

Our course is hilly -- up/down, up/down, up/down -- and by the time I've finished either nine, both of which end with huge uphill climbs -- my shoulders are hurting. Because of that, it's a struggle to "finish strong" and keep a good round going.

I walk a lot of miles each week off the course -- and walk several rounds of golf, too, when it's not 110 heat index. Still, my body is literally aching for the help and relief that an electric trolley would bring. I'm gonna pull the trigger on one sooner than later.

Has anyone heard of a player giving up their electric cart and returning to pushing or carrying?

I intend to never carry/push my clubs around the course ever again.
Yes, I had an electric one for several years but it had some annoyingly missing little convenience features plus I got tired of having to charge the battery every round. After maybe 300-400 rounds it developed a catch in the folding mechanism that made it tricky to set up and take down. So I got rid of it and went back to a Sun Mountain Speed Cart liked I'd used for 20 years before getting the electric one.

The Speed Cart has a bottom net that holds a bottle of divot-filling sand, it has a top net where I can carry my rangefinder, place headcovers, keep a spare golf ball and stick my towel and the umbrella holder is high enough for me to easily stand under the umbrella while I'm walking. The Motocaddie S1 was pretty bare bones, no nets and a very low umbrella holder. Sounds like trivial stuff but playing 3-4x a week it just got annoying. I also find the Speed Cart takes less effort to turn and maneuver in tight spaces.

Some of these hot days lately I'll admit I miss having the motorized trolley to pull itself up the two steep hills on my home course!

Yes, I had an electric one for several years but it had some annoyingly missing little convenience features plus I got tired of having to charge the battery every round. After maybe 300-400 rounds it developed a catch in the folding mechanism that made it tricky to set up and take down. So I got rid of it and went back to a Sun Mountain Speed Cart liked I'd used for 20 years before getting the electric one.

The Speed Cart has a bottom net that holds a bottle of divot-filling sand, it has a top net where I can carry my rangefinder, place headcovers, keep a spare golf ball and stick my towel and the umbrella holder is high enough for me to easily stand under the umbrella while I'm walking. The Motocaddie S1 was pretty bare bones, no nets and a very low umbrella holder. Sounds like trivial stuff but playing 3-4x a week it just got annoying. I also find the Speed Cart takes less effort to turn and maneuver in tight spaces.

Some of these hot days lately I'll admit I miss having the motorized trolley to pull itself up the two steep hills on my home course!

Ok, you're one but you sometimes miss it.

As for features I think they've come a long way. Mine's pretty decked out.

Again, I can't imagine going back to pushing.

I'm a diehard walker and I use a pushcart. but, just walking without pushing anything would help me save energy. My father is a walker as well (~80 years old). He uses the electric cart and he makes 9 to 14 holes with it. The only reason I don't adopt is at least with his 10 year old model directional control of the electic is more then I want to deal with.

Diehard walker/carrier here. My primary reason for carrying is dealing with hills - I would much rather carry my clubs when climbing a hill than push a cart up an incline. I have a couple of push carters in my group and they really appear to struggle climbing hills. I also have several electric carters and on the warmer days they wouldn't be able to finish the round without them.

I've tried the electric cart a couple of times, but I find it requires too much extra walking (ironic I know) because unlike walking you have to detour around tee boxes and greens. However to each their own.

Diehard walker/carrier here. My primary reason for carrying is dealing with hills - I would much rather carry my clubs when climbing a hill than push a cart up an incline. I have a couple of push carters in my group and they really appear to struggle climbing hills. I also have several electric carters and on the warmer days they wouldn't be able to finish the round without them.

I've tried the electric cart a couple of times, but I find it requires too much extra walking (ironic I know) because unlike walking you have to detour around tee boxes and greens. However to each their own.

because unlike walking you have to detour around tee boxes and greens.

Not if you have a remote!

Uh yeah. The advantage is you dont have to push it. Kind of like the advantage of a riding cart is you dont have to walk. Strange question.
I think there's a pretty big difference from walking and not walking a course, to pushing a cart vs. using a remote to drive the cart. Your still having to walk which is really the bigger component of it. I'm sorry it didn't fit your temperature check of being a super cool question. But many have highlighted other things outside of just pushing the cart which is precisely what I was looking for.

I think there's a pretty big difference from walking and not walking a course, to pushing a cart vs. using a remote to drive the cart. Your still having to walk which is really the bigger component of it. I'm sorry it didn't fit your temperature check of being a super cool question. But many have highlighted other things outside of just pushing the cart which is precisely what I was looking for.
In my case, since I walk a lot for pure exercise and then push a Clicgear on the golf course, too, the difference is in having to push weight up and down hills for four hours. Our course is closed on Mondays so I walk across the street and walk the entire 18 holes with my dog. I don't feel any pain from that, at all. But walking 18 holes and pushing that cart, yes, my shoulders ache, especially. I just need the Good Golf Fairy to deliver a Motocaddy to my home some day. :D

I've used a Clicgear for years, started when I first got on the course, even when other people I played with would give me s but then ended up getting one as well. I wouldn't bother with an electric one but have seen the ones that follow you around the course and those seem interesting, and agree with those that on hilly courses pushing the cart does suck at times.

Back