Tips for playing Bethpage Black and Red

Sooner21

I miss football
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all - I'm playing both of these Bethpage courses in a couple of weeks, and would welcome any tips from people that have played there. My index is 8.5 and carry driver 280 average. My weaknesses are my wedges on most days, but everything else is pretty solid. I'm 100% fine with not pulling driver when I don't have to.
Thanks in advance...

The rough on the Black will cost you shots. Being short off the tee will also cost you shots. Straight and far! Hah - let the big dog eat and let come what may.

Red rough is not comparable. A few more doglegs though may favor a lesser club on some.

I remember the Black's rough getting thicker and denser the closer we got to the greens. If you carry it 280 with the driver, you should be fine to hit 3W off of a lot of tees and be perfectly fine. The greens aren't bad to putt. Definitely bring some water.

Off the tee you def want to be solid. Try not to be cute and cut corners as some holes move left or right and it can be tempting to cut a corner. Hitting a solid drive and making the fairway is huge.

The greens are pretty tame. You really don't have to be an amazing putter to score there. Its more a ball strikers golf course than that of a guy that can putt the lights out of it.
So make your focus hitting greens in reg. Placing the ball on the greens in specific sections didn't strike me as being paramount. The greens are relatively flat.

IMHO of course.

Appreciate the responses guys! Hopefully the MAVRIK keeps doing what it has the last couple of seasons..

Don’t load up the bag with any excess weight. The walk and playing out of the rough is a physical challenge. It’s the only course I play where I get drained.

I grew up nearby but haven't been back in 30 years. I remember the red being very fair and very underrated. The black was excruciating (for me at least). Great course but I was like an intermediate skier on a double-diamond ski slope.

Back