P790’s are giving me flyers, move to 770’s?

Supersport

Reaction score
Handicap
I have played the 790s for the past few years and really have liked them. The one thing I don’t like is that every once in a while, I flush one and you get an extra 10 yards or more. I have heard others with the same issues.
Talked to a fitter the other day ans he suggested coming in and hitting the 770’s, but I thought the tech was the same and would possibly have same results. Does anyone know more about this or have first hand experience? Considering zx7 or t100s possible if not the 770.

i know others disagree, but i thought the 770s weren’t very differentiable in feel or performance from 790. i was very underwhelmed.

i would suggest the callaway apex pro, or titleist t200.

Try the new 2021 P790’s. I was told they addressed the issue with the random flyers.

Try the new 2021 P790’s. I was told they addressed the issue with the random flyers.
How does a manufacturer engineer out random perfect swing sequencing and impact position? Seriously, people are confusing the concept of grass clogging grooves leading to a high velocity/low spin ball flight that lies longer than normal with the “flushed” iron shot. P770’s many spin more due to more loft however when you button one with them (or any iron) they will still fly longer.

How does a manufacturer engineer out random perfect swing sequencing and impact position? Seriously, people are confusing the concept of grass clogging grooves leading to a high velocity/low spin ball flight that lies longer than normal with the “flushed” iron shot. P770’s many spin more due to more loft however when you button one with them (or any iron) they will still fly longer.

I think your misunderstanding the type of flyer. Not referring to the flyer lie out of the rough.
Random flyers due to club. You hit the ball and randomly spin drops and then all comes out super hot. Known occurrence in game improvement/hollow clubs.

i’ve seen reviews that suggest otherwise. some troubling distance dispersion still happening.

Ask the right person and every single iron that exists is known to have 'jumpers'. I watched a 'review' last night where the guy said that ZX7's 'are going to have more flyers'. Assuming it was based on what he saw, in his results. I saw that he hit then like ****. Move the ball all over the face, and you're going to get different results.

Same if you play any one of a bunch of hollow/fast face/etc irons that lean towards more ball speed and less spin, and you dip below a balance of consistency between them. Bound to get larger variations. More spin usually solves your problem. Have to stay in whatever window maintains some consistency best for you. For what it's worth, I can launch, spin, and carry/stop 770 just fine in terms of consistency. Loft for loft they'll probably be a little faster and spin a tad less than something like Apex Pro for you. And different misses will react differently. So you need to know what works best for you.

Go for the ZX7s. Unless you’re a ball striking machine you’ll still catch flyers but it probably won’t be as dramatic. 770s will still probably give you the occasional flyer

I think your misunderstanding the type of flyer. Not referring to the flyer lie out of the rough.
Random flyers due to club. You hit the ball and randomly spin drops and then all comes out super hot. Known occurrence in game improvement/hollow clubs.

If you re-read my reply I think you will see I do understand the good lie flyer concept. It’s known as a perfectly sequenced swing with (more) forward shaft lean and descending angle of attack than the player normally achieves with a square to closing club face. It’s the impact dynamics that cause this shot not the club. Any club struck more optimally than normal will cause the ball to fly further. Ian the owner of TXG has discussed this at length during their videos and he says it’s not the club, it’s the impact dynamics that cause the bust of unexpected distance. Maybe a hot face hollow iron will fly a bit further than solid faced clubs but thats due to their lower lofts and the lower spin these irons typically produce.

We call that “hitting the mythical sweet spot” 😆. In other words, it’s how far that club would consistently go if we hit the sweet spot all the time instead of being all over the face.

Good discussion. I have played quite a few iron sets I’ve the years and am a fairly good iron player. I play to a low single digit handicap and can put the club on the ball reasonably well. Some combo of these clubs and hitting it in the right spot, the right way leads to a middle that I just have not experienced in another set. I have a few buddies who have seen the same thing. I am convinced it is more likely to happen and more pronounced of a flier, than anything I have experience with.
My fitting into p790’s was great ans I like the clubs. Just trying to take away a miss that pops up once every round or two.

If you think the inconsistency in strike and deliver is a flyer, I have news for you...blades will give you flyers too. I had this problem even when I played 712 AP2s, catching my 7i clean and it going 190. It's not an equipment problem. I guarantee you the shots that are going your more normal distance are near the toe and the ones that are "flyers" are out of the center on like the 3rd or 4th groove.

Not meant to be a knock against you, but if you are a 6 HDCP you should probably be in some irons that are a little more control oriented anyways. P770s from P790s is not a huge difference in feel (more of a testament to P790s not feeling bad for GI irons) but I would look at most P770 long irons and P7MC short irons. APEX Pros and X Forged is also a good combo.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I don't swing fast enough to have this issue.
I did get it with the 2014 Apex Irons, but I think it was more of the Recoil 95 getting loaded/unloaded perfectly. That was a few years and injuries ago.

If you think the inconsistency in strike and deliver is a flyer, I have news for you...blades will give you flyers too. I had this problem even when I played 712 AP2s, catching my 7i clean and it going 190. It's not an equipment problem. I guarantee you the shots that are going your more normal distance are near the toe and the ones that are "flyers" are out of the center on like the 3rd or 4th groove.

Not meant to be a knock against you, but if you are a 6 HDCP you should probably be in some irons that are a little more control oriented anyways. P770s from P790s is not a huge difference in feel (more of a testament to P790s not feeling bad for GI irons) but I would look at most P770 long irons and P7MC short irons. APEX Pros and X Forged is also a good combo.

Can't say that I agree that handicap should dictate what type of clubs a person plays. There are quite a few variables that go into generating a handicap. A person can be inconsistent with irons, but have great tee-game and could be an amazing putter which leads to a lower handicap. Or a person could be a phenomenal ball striker, and have a poor short-game and be a bad putter, leading to a high handicap. There are so many possibilities, I just don't think it's right to say "hey you're a "blank" handicap, you should be using such and such equipment".

Just my thoughts though.

Be of the reasons I moved from the 790’s were the flyers. I remember my last approach with them 150 out in the fairway. Struck it well the ball ended up going 20 yards past the green. Knew that was the end of my time with them. So hard to judge with that type of inconsistency. I heard the 770’s were good but no experience with them

I tested the 770s against the gen1 790's I didn't see enough difference in feel to make the change, I ended up in the zx5s

I went from the 2019’s to the 2021’s with the same exact specs, shafts, grips and swingweight. The 2021 head feels heavier to swing. Anybody else feel a difference? I wonder if it has to do with the shifting of the weight to the toe and bottom.

Back