Is your lob wedge flatter than your other clubs?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been wondering if I should bend my lob wedge flatter than my other clubs. I have to check the lie of it because it just seems upright compared to the others to see if it changed over the year.

Thought I would love the idea so I tried it and it turned into a complete disaster for me but I normally play 1* up and went 1* flat. Found myself catching fat on the toe side of things so I went back.

Mine is the opposite. I found that I was pushing everything with my lob wedge, so I bent it 2° upright. Very happy with that change.

And right now I’m experimenting with a Callaway 7i and 8i that were bent 2° flat since my mid and long irons were consistently going right (lefty).

I have one that is flatter and one that is more upright. I don't do well with the upright as it makes me feel too close to the ball. I could adapt to it, but just feels too awkward. I will probably get it bent flatter to match my other one.

Mine is the opposite. I found that I was pushing everything with my lob wedge, so I bent it 2° upright. Very happy with that change.

And right now I’m experimenting with a Callaway 7i and 8i that were bent 2° flat since my mid and long irons were consistently going right (lefty).

Wow, wasn’t expecting this answer. I was really concerned with some chips and pitches and might just need to change my approach on those with higher hands instead bending the wedge.

Yes. Like playing my specialty wedges 2 degrees flat and everything else 1 flat/std lie.

I have been wondering if I should bend my lob wedge flatter than my other clubs. I have to check the lie of it because it just seems upright compared to the others to see if it changed over the year.
Because of how I play it, I actually play my LW 1 flat but the rest of my wedges and set are 2 up.

I play my irons 2° flat but due to the shorter shaft length I have always played my wedge at standard lie. I do not notice any impact on my game relative to divots on full shots.

Because of how I play it, I actually play my LW 1 flat but the rest of my wedges and set are 2 up.
Is your lob wedge mainly a short game tool and rarely a full swing club?

Wow, wasn’t expecting this answer. I was really concerned with some chips and pitches and might just need to change my approach on those with higher hands instead bending the wedge.
I tried higher hands too but that was worse with both LW and other irons. It just turned things into a baseball-like swing; I think because of playing other sports before I played golf consistently.

I’d really just like to get properly fit so I know for sure my swing path, delivery, etc. And so I know that I’m using the right tools for my game.

It's a primary weapon for those of us who have to get over trees often! Never say never. ;)
I can hit that shot with a 54/55/56, so for me, the LW is never ever a full swing club.

I have played irons at 1up or 2up, depending on the brand. My wedges have always been standard lie, so flatter. I have some new wedges coming that will match incoming irons. This was recommended for me. I'll see how it goes.

My Ping irons are red dot, which according to Ping's table is 1* flat for standard length clubs like mine. Having had my 54* and 58* CBX 2s bent 1* flat as well, my Lob wedge is the same as the rest of my irons.

From 9 on down, even if the clubs get shorter, my lie pretty much stays the same, so yes, I play my lob flatter. 62* in both the PW and the Lob is fairly common for me.

Last edited:
It would be a total disaster since I open the face slightly when I play the club anyway. Leave well enough alone

Play all of my wedges (PW - 58*) at 62 degrees, which is 2 degrees flat to Hogan standard specs.

Gap-Lob are all one degree flat from spec at 63 deg, irons 1 deg up in general from standard.

Last edited:
Play all of my wedges (PW - 58*) at 62 degrees, which is 2 degrees flat to Hogan standard specs.
I appreciate those who speak to real numbers and then relate to manufacturers spec

I play my 54 & 58 3* flat. GW & PW 1* flat, and everything else at standard

I appreciate those who speak to real numbers and then relate to manufacturers spec

Thanks. With different standard specs among various OEMs, you pretty much have to.

I didn't touch my lie angles at all, I just set my hands lower and rip at my wedges. I use all wedges as full swing clubs situationally so having my lob way flatter would not be good.

I play less-than-full shots with my 58 a little bit with the heel up and toe down, so I don't mind that it's not as upright as my other clubs. I bent my last 58 upright, and while it looked good to my eye, I never felt as comfortable with it.

Back