Do you call penalties on others?

Only time I say something is when they're unsure of it. Otherwise, I really don't care. If they're a bit in front of the tee box, I'll give a little ribbing so they don't commit a penalty unintentionally, but that's about it. Even with that, I have to know the person a bit before I just start chirping.

Probably not going to do it, unless they ask me for a ruling. It would have to be pretty blatant for me to question someone and it would have to be in a competition between us or me protecting the field. If I am playing in a casual round, definitely not unless they asked me for a ruling.

I have had to send people back to the tee box. One of the leagues I play in does not use the fairway +2 strokes rule for OOB. So some people say, oh I am going to take a drop and I tell them they have to go back to tee or they have to talk to scorers when we get in for taking illegal drop.

I had to tell one person before he took his drop out of a bunker that it was a 2 stroke penalty and he flipped his lid. Said it was only 1 stroke. I said I was marking 2 on the card and he could argue later. Others told him it was 2 so he finally believed me.

I try to save folks not anger them.

Not as a rule, but. I usually keep score in our groups and sometimes remind that they forgot that ob or chunked shot or what ever caused them to give me the wrong score. Never had anyone get mad, I've even been wrong a couple of times.

in League Play...YES......when playing in a "beer outing" NO with exception if the ball is "lost/OB". I'll concede a foot wedge to avoid an obstacle too in this format.

Since I don't typically play in a competitive setting, no I don't call anyone out on penalties. I have been on the end of having to go back and tee off before though, that happened at The Morgan Cup last year. :ROFLMAO:

Of course not. Never during a regular round of golf.

If I was in a sanctioned competitive event...maybe???

Life is too short.

No. Golf is a game of honor.

If they ask, then I’ll let them know what the rules are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I played sanctioned competitive events I would do it to protect the field. I don't play those kind of events, so I don't call penalties on others.

Only time I've ever done it was playing with my best friend at the time many years ago - he cheated like a mf'er, and I always let it slide until he started crowing about beating me. We didn't even maintain handicaps at that time and we were both 100+ shooters, but we were still competitive with each other, so when he started that nonsense it was on like Donkey Kong. The next time we played I buried him in penalties and made him play by the rules, and suddenly he wasn't beating me anymore. He asked me "when did you become 'Mister Rules'?", and I replied "When you started bragging about beating me". I don't mind losing fair and square, but we're going to play by the same rules and you're going to earn the right to s**t talk me about it.

Only time I've ever done it was playing with my best friend at the time many years ago - he cheated like a mf'er, and I always let it slide until he started crowing about beating me. We didn't even maintain handicaps at that time and we were both 100+ shooters, but we were still competitive with each other, so when he started that nonsense it was on like Donkey Kong. The next time we played I buried him in penalties and made him play by the rules, and suddenly he wasn't beating me anymore. He asked me "when did you become 'Mister Rules'?", and I replied "When you started bragging about beating me". I don't mind losing fair and square, but we're going to play by the same rules and you're going to earn the right to s**t talk me about it.

Typically no, unless it's a situation where I'd be protecting the field.

no money on the line in my group, I tell them to pick up and take a double whe someone is struggling to speed up play. so no, I don't call a penalty and I likely get my partners to cheat in the name of speed

Not often but we do have a few guys in our weekend group that always do the "I have to check it's my ball in the rough" after which they proceed to give it a teed up lie. As we are playing for money (nothing large but still) I've called them out and said I don't care if they do it when playing for own score only but when money is on the line they need to be more strict as the margins between being in the money or not are always small.
I sometimes play with a guy who improves his lie constantly. Normally I don't care, but after a few rounds he was bragging about how he was always in the 80s and that I didn't need all my new fancy clubs, that it's all about the player and not the equipment. So the next time I played in his group, I would drive by his ball and toss a tee next to it. After a few times he asked me why I kept doing it, and I told him it would be quicker for him to just tee it up rather than trying to fluff it. Everyone laughed. He got the point.

A principal of the rules of golf is that everyone will follow the rules. So you are expected to call penalties you observe in stroke play to protect the field.

Now, would I do that in a casual round? No way. I might politely ask if someone knows they’re breaking a rule if it’s apparent they don’t, but I wouldn’t care if they assessed it or not.

In a stroke-play tournament if I’m absolutely sure I saw it, I’d call it. If there was any doubt in my mind, I wouldn’t say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so to this one. NO because I don't have that personality.

On the contrary, I saved a guy from calling a penalty by the old rules last week. He double hit a ball. Used to be a penalty, now it is not.

I didn’t realize they changed that one. Does it just count as 2 shots now?

Call penalties on others... ? :unsure:

I've had to persuade others to call them on themselves a time or two. A time or two harder than should have been necessary or was comfortable to do so, too.

Casual play I give two 💩's about your score or what you do with it though.

Nah. I don't play in tournaments or leagues so it doesn't matter to me. If someone asks about something I'll tell them, but nothing more than that.

If I play my dad for money I do, I don't call anyone else out because they likely aren't even keeping a real score.

I have had to send people back to the tee box. One of the leagues I play in does not use the fairway +2 strokes rule for OOB. So some people say, oh I am going to take a drop and I tell them they have to go back to tee or they have to talk to scorers when we get in for taking illegal drop.

I had to tell one person before he took his drop out of a bunker that it was a 2 stroke penalty and he flipped his lid. Said it was only 1 stroke. I said I was marking 2 on the card and he could argue later. Others told him it was 2 so he finally believed me.

I try to save folks not anger them.
I thought it was just one stroke. Learn something new.:confused2:

I don't know the rules well enough to call someone out on a penalty. Besides, it's not my score so it doesn't really matter to me.
I don't play in tournaments or leagues or for money. If I did, you'd bet your sweet biscuits that I'd remind someone that there's a rule for that.:)

Casual rounds? Never. You do you buddy, and let's have fun.

Money game? Probably not, depending on the infraction.

Tournament? Every time. Obligation to protect the field and I'd hope everyone else does the same.

In a casual round I would never. If I were in a competitive situation, I would be more inclined to. However, I am not the most knowledgeable of the rules, so I'm not going to be rushing to call penalties unless it's one of the one I'm confident I know.

In the club tournament this year the eventual winner did some suspect things throughout the day. It was lift clean and place and I swear I saw him brush the towards him to puff up the grass so he could hit a 3 wood on a par 5. Then walking up the 8th fairway, the other 2 playing partners with me said they thought he was marking his ball and moving it up 2-3 inches the last few holes. I didn’t see that tho. I ended up losing to this person in a playoff. Just makes me mad.

I should have called what I saw.

Back