What's a "good round"?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Was just chatting with a buddy, and I was telling him I slept like crap last night, so he's probably going to beat me today when we play later.

He said, "Well I want to beat you on your good days, not bad days."

I then jokingly said, "I dont know that I've had a good golf day."

That's REALLY downer, but it just got me thinking of a round that really stands out to me that I played GOOD from hole 1-18.

My lowest score ever is an 89, but I had a whiff, I had way more 3 putts than I would've liked, still lost a ball, so I just don't know if I'd still call that a GOOD round.
I had a recent 94 where I had no triple bogeys, pretty good for me, but I just did EVERYTHING ok that day. I hardly par'd anything because I just wasn't really good at anything, I just kept the ball in play and widdled myself to bogey's and double bogeys.
Last Monday, I was +6 thru 8. I had 2 pars and 6 bogeys across some tough holes, my drives were serviceable, my approach shots were excellent, several up and downs, putting was great. That was what I would call GOOD play, but then it all fell apart.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if I've ever actually had a good round? But how do you all define that? Is it making your handicap? Is it breaking your handicap? Is it based off of your assessment? In game where most people shoot 18-25 over Par...how does one truly define a "good" round? Is a good round if you just shoot 10 holes well vs. 8 bad?

For me, I’m happy with anything under 90. 9 holes anything under 45. Every time I play though my goal is 85 and so far I’ve done it once

We're not too far away in handicap's and scoring. I consider a good round when I'm striking the ball well and keeping the driver in play. Putts are manageable and I'm not missing those straight in 5 footers. Keeping the ball in play is a good round.

mine is pretty independent of score. a good day is a day where i hit the ball decently, even if i don't score very well. for instance, the last round of 18 i played i broke 80 on a pretty tough course. but i felt like i played like crap because driver was a mess, pretty much every approach shot came up short, and i hit some bad short game shots. somehow i kept it together well enough to still post an ok-ish score, but i'd say it was a really bad round.

A good round is hitting the shots you want....with the swing you're trying to improve

Bad swings that equal good results, do nothing for your game

Hitting lots of fairways and greens is a good day for me. When I can play a course and play to my HC that is always a good day.

Ok but how many? What's the % for a "good round"? You all above kind of said similar things..."strike the ball well", "hitting the shots you want", "hit the ball decently'.

So if 55% of your non-feely shots are struck well is that a good round? 75%? 90%?

Days that I can immediately and consistently pull my putter out of the bag after hitting my GIR approach shot. Those days are like a refreshing—and satisfying—walk in the park.

Ok but how many? What's the % for a "good round"? You all above kind of said similar things..."strike the ball well", "hitting the shots you want", "hit the ball decently'.

So if 55% of your non-feely shots are struck well is that a good round? 75%? 90%?
For me, if anything over 60-65% of my shots are what I consider quality, it’s a good round.

Idk, I look at it as all rounds played are good rounds. I can always find something good in all my rounds. Some are just better than others, score wise.

However, keeping in the spirit of the question, I do have number I play for that is my personal par. That number is 85 for me. It ties in with my 13 handicap.

I think everyone should have their own personal par to shoot for when playing.

If I score 85, or lower, I look at that round as a pretty good one. I had to do alot of things right to card that number.

My wife asks how golf was most times I play. I usually answer "good" if I hit the ball the way I want to. When that happens, it usually means I'm at or better than par based on my handicap.

That in mind, if I hit a club poorly all day, and still shoot a solid score, I'd probably have a harder time calling it a "good" golf day. Chasing my version of perfection is an annoying thing.

My handicap is high... so a good round is a subjective term.

A new low score for me... good round! Didn't loose any balls... good round! Played better than my playing partners who have similar skill levels... good round! Hit a couple really good shots, and didn't have any blow ups... good round!

Played like hell, but really enjoyed the company and the course... could still be a good round ;)

Reactions: J4U
If I birdie the last hole, it's a good round. If I triple bogey the last hole, it's a bad round!

I think it is all relative to skill level - if I shoot 90 then I consider it a bad round, but someone else might say it was a good round

To me, a good round is having a score in the 70's, which often means that most of my game is working well, I am unlikely to have had any penalties and have mostly kept the ball on or near the fairway and green throughout the round

Example for me last three rounds:
Two weeks ago 51/57=108 terrible
Last week 47/42=89 good
This week 47/36=83 great

Talk about inconsistent. Think what's good varies with the individual. Have only had one maybe two better nine holes in a round.

Last edited:
When I'm surprised by the score, or even a particular stat, at the end.

Usually means I was having a good time, had tuned out what was less important, and did something sneaky good along the way.

I consider it a good round if:

I had fun, made a par, spent quality time with friends or made new friends, my knee doesn't give out, hit the majority of fairways, had a great putt.

It doesn't need to be all of those, but there are so many ways I have had a good round that are not related to my overall score.

Scoring? mid 70's, if not a couple of birdies & feel like I've struck the ball well. In truth, I'd rather play well but not score than score but not play well. Scrambling all day is just mentally tiring to me and makes me want to set things on fire.

Anytime we are out playing is a good round. In reality my only bad rounds were rounds that I struggled the entire time and thank goodness I can make a good shot now and then which makes it all worthwhile. I don't like those days where I am scrambling a lot. I think a good round is a consistent round and minimizing mistakes as best as possible. I just like a fluid synced type of round where I think I played decent whether the score reflects it or not.

any round where i'm hitting the ball well...tee, fairway and putting...i don't need to set PB's or even score well, i just need to hit the ball.

Any round where I can shoot 88 or better, have a birdie and not lose a ball. As of late any 2 of the 3 will qualify for a good round.

A round with no lost balls, no penalties, and no three-putts.

My response to that question is always: "There were moments of greatness..."

With two kids 3 and under at the house, golf is luxury right now. So my answer is they are all good rounds.

Used to be in the 70's was a good round. Now the 80's with issues and not playing as much.

Any score can be a good round with good people and fun/laughs are had. Throw in slow play and a good score could feel like a bad round.

Heck, now just being able to play is a good round!

A round with no lost balls, no penalties, and no three-putts.
Ooo...I like this one alot. I really like the way you defined this.

This has been great to read people's responses though...it's interesting how different people define it.

Back