4 wood versus driver - the smack-down on consistency.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
So after a good amount of testing, I am back at the driver versus the 4 woods discussion. For quite a while I was hitting my driver and never found any real consistency out of it and still don't know why I am challenged by finding a stable swing/strike pattern. After some months of playing my woods off the tee box it is obvious the 4 wood is out performing (not always out distancing) my driver.

Here are some rough averages to give you an idea:
Driver 240-280. So when hit well 250 is not an issue, yet the percentages are probably 1 in 4 probably get to 250. When I hit it well I crush it, but hitting it well has been a huge problem for me. I will hit it low. I will hit it left. I will hit it right. Cannot seem to get a "dial in" on the driver.

4 wood 220-260. When hit well it is almost a guaranteed 230/240 or more. The higher percentage of 4 wood hits are in the fairway. Stats are around 40% on a bad day and as high as 80% or higher on a good day. The thing is on a bad day most of the 4 wood hits are playable balls and I can at least still scramble the hole. My scores have been greatly reduced since putting the 4 wood into play more on the tee box. The 4 wood performs, yet I feel inside I should be able to get a level of performance out the driver that should at least get some value from it.

I have experimented with various drivers, shafts, and so on and nothing really build any form of consistency in my driver hits. I was out on the range yesterday working with a stiffer shaft and was hitting decent shots at 250-270 average, but again still not something that would make me put the 4 wood up and hit the driver - the consistency was not there. It seems that for a measly 10-20 yards and not enough FIRs it isn't worth it.

The grounds keeper came over and asked me how the session went and I said it was good and that I was working some on the driver. He saw me hit my 4 woods and we got to talking about it and he said, "Why do you even bother with the driver when you hit a 4 wood like that? You don't need it at all."

I guess I like the challenge the driver presents for me to overcome, yet I am curious for those of you that feel you have a reasonable level of consistency with your driver, what do you think is your number 1 enabler of that consistency?

Sounds like you need the XB! 😁

Until you get better with the driver I also agree. Whatever gives you the best chance to hit a fairway would probably be best. Especially if you can hit your 4w off the deck well too because you could probably get close to 400 yards in two good swings.

Sounds like you need the XB! 😁
I have the Radspeed and when hit well, it is crushed - caught one the other day at 281 🔥 The problem is I got to hit it well. :ROFLMAO:

Its funny you mention the 4 wood. I am in the same boat as you with driver. I hit it inconsistently then go 3w or 5w off tee and usually have a better result. But something inside me says keep hitting the driver:banghead:. Recently I have been thinking about trying a 4 wood. I havent had a 4w in years so I think I will start looking for one and give it a try.

Its funny you mention the 4 wood. I am in the same boat as you with driver. I hit it inconsistently then go 3w or 5w off tee and usually have a better result. But something inside me says keep hitting the driver:banghead:. Recently I have been thinking about trying a 4 wood. I havent had a 4w in years so I think I will start looking for one and give it a try.
Yep, I went to a 4 wood because my 3 wood just did not work the way I wanted. It was strange that the 4 wood and I clicked so well. 4 wood is 16.5 degrees too which you would never think it would get those distances at that loft. Right now I have 4w at 16.5, 5w at 18.5, and 7w at 22.5 which seems to be working good.

I'm not a good golfer or a coach but I do have my own ideas. I think swing changes are very hard or maybe impossible if your swing is really ingrained but set up changes can make a lot of difference. Recently realized that I was hitting more toward the heel so moved about an inch farther from the ball and seem to be hitting the ball much more solid and might have picked up a couple of yards.

Shorter length clubs are easier to swing mentally and physically. Add in, the loft of the 4w is easier to elevate too. Run with what makes you happiest on the course dude.

You can grip down on driver, tee it slightly lower if ball halfway above crown, and hit a power cut.

Or get a lesson.

The 4W is one of the greatest club creations of all time.

I have the Radspeed and when hit well, it is crushed - caught one the other day at 281 🔥 The problem is I got to hit it well. :ROFLMAO:

Radspeed XB is more forgiving than Radspeed. It's the secret sauce. I assume you have Radspeed.

How is it any different to a 3W?

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 4W.
The additional loft of a 4W --- usually around 16-17 degrees -- makes it easier to launch from the fairway. For many players, it can carry as far as their 3W but with better accuracy, consistency and peak height to land softer on the green. I like to carry a 4W instead of 3W and 5W so that I can add a fourth wedge to the bag.

I'd take a guaranteed 240 on the fairway 3/4 times, than a 260 drive 1/4 times.
A million times out of a million times, I take this approach.

I went for about a month this season only playing my 5W off the deck because my driver was too erratic. I’d rather be 230-240 in the fairway than 280-290 with a lost ball.

FWIW, I spent some time working on my swing and I’m back to using my driver again. Just took some practice and patience.

How is it any different to a 3W?

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a 4W.

4 wood drivers traditionally had 5W length and loft slightly lower than a 5 wood.

Adjustable clubs have rendered them somewhat obsolete. You can just turn down the loft on your 5-wood and you have the same thing. I played a PING G20 4-wood for years. I was just as consistent with it off the tee and MUCH better with it off the deck. IMO, very few amateur golfers can consistently hit a 3-wood off the deck.

In regards to the original post, I think a well fitting modern driver should be just as good off the tee as a fairway wood.

Less chance of topping the ball with the driver.

It’s been a legit while since I’ve needed to hit fairway wood off the tee. Some courses may call for it, but sometimes the fairway is easier to hit with driver more than it is a fairway wood.

Usually it’s more about the distance off the tee needs vs hitting the fairway or not.

This area is a minefield having looked into it off the back of this thread.

Do you get a 3W for the bigger more forgiving head and loft it down?
Do you get a 4W and tweak it for the perfect gapping?
Do you get a 5W for a smaller head and loft it up?

Maybe one of the mini drivers would work for you. Smaller head, 13* of loft and a shorter shaft than a driver.

240 is an extremely solid driver for me. If you are spraying the driver you can definitely score with 240 in the fairway with a 4W.

I guess I like the challenge the driver presents for me to overcome, yet I am curious for those of you that feel you have a reasonable level of consistency with your driver, what do you think is your number 1 enabler of that consistency?
Keeping the tempo smooth and even, not over swinging with the driver.
I do like the idea of getting fit for a driver shaft, the correct flex and length can make a huge difference.

Shorter length clubs are easier to swing mentally and physically. Add in, the loft of the 4w is easier to elevate too. Run with what makes you happiest on the course dude.

But the head is smaller. Especially when everyone stares at you at the T-box .
611d01863d2c4bc7388c09e60c3acfac.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the head is smaller. Especially when everyone stares at you at the T-box .
611d01863d2c4bc7388c09e60c3acfac.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh. Who cares what others think?

Back