What's a "good round"?

Sort of similar to what others have said. But I have stopped basing good or bad rounds on score and more on execution. That is to say if my execution is good on all shots then I am happy with how I played if my decisions were poor but the execution was good it is still OK.

For me a "good" round means that I played with friends, felt like I hit the ball well which most likely means I scored decent, likely where the first digit is a 7.

Another day a "good" round could mean that I picked up on something that will help me moving forward. I might have shot 90, but I "found" something.

Heck, a "good" round might even mean one of my playing partners shot their personal best that day.

This is simple. First define what a "Good round" looks like. It must be based on Smart goals.
S - specific...(pars, birdies, score, GIR, fairways,, avg 3s, 4s, 5s, sand saves, etc.)
M- measurable (how many)
A- achievable (done in practice or during rounds)
R- relevant (how does this goal align with broader goals)
T- time bound (time frame for accomplishing)

Just wait til after the rounds before making the assessment and do not do it during the round. When playing, focus on the process not the result. Make a confident swing. Don't chase making a stat.

I would love to shoot better, but I feel I had a good round when I'm able to play. I'm working on getting better, but score is not the most important part of it for me right now. it's enjoying the journey and time out on the course.

A "good" round is subjective and a relative term. It stems from different view points.

A good round for me? It's different than your criteria because I suck at golf. I know I suck at golf. I'll probably never really improve at golf. I accept that to a point. So...

A good round for me:

Did I die? No. It was a good round.
Was I at work? No. It was a great round.
Did I think about work? It was a tremendous round.
Did I lose any balls? If not it was an awesome round.
Did I lose any equipment? If not it was a great round.
Did I break anything? If not, it was a good round.

Different perspectives equate to different criteria for good rounds. I doubt I'm going to have any legendary rounds in my future... I'll be happy if I even play double bogey golf. I do get tired of triple digit scores but, not enough to do anything about it.:ROFLMAO:

I suppose ending a round with more balls than I started with is a good day. :cool:

Seriously though, I would say hitting the ball well by my standards is a good day. It won't always equate to a good score but I feel a lot better about things when I feel like I hit the ball a lot better.

Under par

Where I strike the ball well, keep it mostly in play. Give myself a chance for scoring well

As I get older (66 now), I realize any day on the golf course is good...the exercise, fresh air, socializing, hitting a shot flush, etc.

I used to be obsessed with scoring, and anything over a 79 was a bad day. But it's golf, so yeah, there were plenty of those days. In addition, my home course is littered with hazards, if you can play a round without losing a golf ball, you have accomplished something...so that too would be a good day yardstick for me.

Good round or good score?

Seriously every day I golf i consider it a good round. I guess i think that way, because my score is generally so poor, if i used that as a standard to measure against, i would probably want to quit. Lol

I would say if I hit more quality shots than bad ones. I'm not a great golfer so there's always going to be bad shots, chunks, flubs, etc. But if I leave the course thinking more about the good shots I hit than the bad it was a good day.

Realistically, any round where I'm more than a stroke or two better than my handicap is a good round. Especially with the way they calculate handicaps now (based on best 8 of the last 20 rounds). I know that and I try to appreciate those rounds when they happen.

But the way it feels at the time has more to do with not having big numbers on the card. My handicap is high enough (currently 15) that I can shoot a couple strokes under my 'cap even with making some double or triples. But it's hard to feel satisfied with how I've played when I made 6's on three or four holes and a 7 on another.

Two years ago my answer probably would have been different but these days a good round is one where I don't lose a ball and shoot under 80. Even if I shoot under 80 alone I'll consider it a good round.

For me, score is just one component of a good round, but not the primary. So many different factors come into play - weather, club/ball contact, putting, how my buddies are playing, etc...
What a great game!

It is very difficult for “most” avid golfers to not base a “good” round on score. But, I think you can have a “pleasing” round and not score to your potential. Sometimes good scores just happen. Most aspects of your game can show up on a given day - and bam! - you have a score that you are proud of. But, on a day where that isn’t happening - if I can execute some difficult shots, perhaps make a good up & down or sand save, or make a clutch putt to save a par - I can be happy in recounting my play that day....and in a sense it is a “good” round. I’ve used this quote before - but, Bobby Jones said, in effect, that “the pleasure in golf is not in posting a score, but in the execution of it’s shots.” I can lie in bed and have pleasure recounting those “good” shots....and not let the others drag me down. Sometimes, some of it comes down to attitude....and whether or not you have a more positive or negative outlook on things. I know that I am never going to be a scratch golfer - but, that does not take away the joy that golf gives me - or, lessen my desire to improve. 😊

a good round is when the course is lightly used and we play in 3.5 hours or less

When I play to or better than my index which almost always means I struck it well. As I’ve aged the less my score changes how much fun I’m having on the course. I shot 9 strokes over my index 10 days ago and had a great time and lots of laughs with three of my oldest friends.

When I’m playing with my son or daughter I get way more joy out of them improving/playing well than having a low round for myself.

No double bogies, I strike the ball nicely and a score around the 75 mark.

Well I’m still pretty new to the game and it seems like I’m always working on something. Putting together a complete round can be very elusive for me. Because of this I break the game down and look for smaller victories. Ball striking for example, maybe I missed the green on approach but made good contact. Now the goal is to get up and down. Driver has been a real struggle for me so hitting fairways with solid contact is a win. Actually improving on any of my flaws is a win. The game is not as easy as the pros make it appear.

Low 80s would make it a good round, but with this siad,just playing golf with my buds always constitutes a good round.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

If my short game shows up it’s a ‘good round’

I can generally get myself out of trouble off of the tee but if short game doesn’t show up it’s going to be a long round.

Was just chatting with a buddy, and I was telling him I slept like crap last night, so he's probably going to beat me today when we play later.

He said, "Well I want to beat you on your good days, not bad days."

I then jokingly said, "I dont know that I've had a good golf day."

That's REALLY downer, but it just got me thinking of a round that really stands out to me that I played GOOD from hole 1-18.

My lowest score ever is an 89, but I had a whiff, I had way more 3 putts than I would've liked, still lost a ball, so I just don't know if I'd still call that a GOOD round.
I had a recent 94 where I had no triple bogeys, pretty good for me, but I just did EVERYTHING ok that day. I hardly par'd anything because I just wasn't really good at anything, I just kept the ball in play and widdled myself to bogey's and double bogeys.
Last Monday, I was +6 thru 8. I had 2 pars and 6 bogeys across some tough holes, my drives were serviceable, my approach shots were excellent, several up and downs, putting was great. That was what I would call GOOD play, but then it all fell apart.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if I've ever actually had a good round? But how do you all define that? Is it making your handicap? Is it breaking your handicap? Is it based off of your assessment? In game where most people shoot 18-25 over Par...how does one truly define a "good" round? Is a good round if you just shoot 10 holes well vs. 8 bad?
For me, a good round is any round. Any time that I can get out on the course, thats a good round. Now, if I can play the whole round with the same ball and can shoot around par, thats a GREAT round.
As has often been said: a bad day on the golf course beats a good day doing just about anything else.

yesterday was an example of a good round for me...i didn't score well...didn't play the driver well but i hit the ball well...my 3W and 4H got me back on track...irons were well struck (for the most part)...a few bad chips and some decent putting. didn't really care for the score but i still have a few nerves playing tourney golf...the group i was in was fun to play with and it was an easy going round for the most part

Was just chatting with a buddy, and I was telling him I slept like crap last night, so he's probably going to beat me today when we play later.

He said, "Well I want to beat you on your good days, not bad days."

I then jokingly said, "I dont know that I've had a good golf day."

That's REALLY downer, but it just got me thinking of a round that really stands out to me that I played GOOD from hole 1-18.

My lowest score ever is an 89, but I had a whiff, I had way more 3 putts than I would've liked, still lost a ball, so I just don't know if I'd still call that a GOOD round.
I had a recent 94 where I had no triple bogeys, pretty good for me, but I just did EVERYTHING ok that day. I hardly par'd anything because I just wasn't really good at anything, I just kept the ball in play and widdled myself to bogey's and double bogeys.
Last Monday, I was +6 thru 8. I had 2 pars and 6 bogeys across some tough holes, my drives were serviceable, my approach shots were excellent, several up and downs, putting was great. That was what I would call GOOD play, but then it all fell apart.

So now I'm sitting here wondering if I've ever actually had a good round? But how do you all define that? Is it making your handicap? Is it breaking your handicap? Is it based off of your assessment? In game where most people shoot 18-25 over Par...how does one truly define a "good" round? Is a good round if you just shoot 10 holes well vs. 8 bad?
I always think of 80 as my "personal par." If I shoot 80, I'm neither happy nor unhappy....but I accept it as "not bad" for a guy who will turn 76 next week. A GOOD
round for me, IMO, is one where I break 80. My IDEAL round is one where I hit about 10 greens or more in regulation, make a birdie somewhere in there, avoid
double bogies and penalties, and take 30 putts or less. If I can do all those things, I'll be in the mid-70's, probably shoot my age, and I'll be ecstatic!! It's happened
a few times over the last few years (when I grudgingly moved up to the senior tees).....

One I didn't play.

Back