The Most Underrated Club Brand In Golf & Why

Bridgestone, but they are so narrowly distributed that they never will have broad appreciation, so maybe naming them isn't fair. Of broadly distributed brands, maybe Adams. They have great lines that seem to be more appreciated for value than their excellence.

For the record...3 of the clubs in my bag are Adams, none Bridgestones.

Old thread, I know, but I'll bump it with a vote for:

MacGregor (before their brand went to hell prior to the Golfsmith deal)

Currently? I would say Tour Edge.

Old thread, I know, but I'll bump it with a vote for:

MacGregor (before their brand went to hell prior to the Golfsmith deal)

Currently? I would say Tour Edge.
That's a hell of a bump! :ROFLMAO:

Bringing the conversation up to 2021, I'd agree with Tour Edge.

(This reference is almost as old as this thread LOL)
7C21B97B-B219-416C-AE3B-2A1C8870D3BE.jpeg

Tour Edge immediately came to mind for me too. I love my wingman putter and when people ask me about it many have never even heard of tour edge. My dad plays their driver and it’s his favorite ever, he can still put them out there to 240-250 with that thing at age 70.

I think Wilson never got the credit they deserved (in my lifetime at least) as well. Cleveland too.

I will say Tour Edge also. They would not have so many metal woods and hybrids in play on the Champions Tour if they were not really good. Yet, I don't think consideration is even given to the brand by many good younger golfers and doubt many non-hardcore golfers even recognize the brand name.

Cleveland from what I have been reading. They seem to have some great stuff out there but I don't hear about them like some of the real big dog brands.

Bridgestone.
I played Bridgestone irons for like 8 years(J36, J40, J15) until I was chosen for the Morgan Cup.
I never played with another person that played Bridgestone clubs.
A couple of people thought. Ridge stone was cheapo brand

Wilson. Even the company itself doesn't know how good they could be. The brand supports tennis, ball sports and even pickel ball in a bigger way.

Cleveland ... the HB and Launcher series is a WINNER for seniors and the average golfer ... i'd sell the heck out of 'em if i were working for Cleveland ...

Good Golfing ...

Cobra is my default answer here. I do think they belong in the top 3 OEMs (they definitely are ahead of Ping and Taylormade IMO). They have been on the cutting edge of innovation for the last several years and have been crushing it for the last several years

Normally I would have said Tour Edge, but I might would go Cleveland now. They have legit great clubs for a lot of people.

Bridgestone? How are they underrated when they haven’t made clubs in years?

I’d say Tour Edge is more underrated, outside of the internet golfers like us I doubt they get the cred they deserve

Normally I would have said Tour Edge, but I might would go Cleveland now. They have legit great clubs for a lot of people.

Yes. I second this. Cleveland is producing more than just wedges these days.

Interesting original list..

Of current brands I honestly think it is cobra or Mizuno. Yes, I know they are popular. But I still think they are underrated.

Interesting original list..

Of current brands I honestly think it is cobra or Mizuno. Yes, I know they are popular. But I still think they are underrated.

Mizuno are known for their superior irons - but they don't have many notable staffers I don't think?

Outside of their irons, they are underrated. Their newest putter line is amazing quality but again, no Tour pros really use them I don't think. I think their wedges and woods and hybrids are underrated.

I still have one of their older woods and hybrids that I consider clubs I will never part with and still rotate in my bag.

I don't have a lot of experience with their drivers but I don't think even Luke Donald ever threw one in his bag when they had him as a staffer. I recall Luke Donald always had a TaylorMade driver when he was with Mizuno.

My choice would be The Ben Hogan Company. I'm surprised no one mentioned them. Granted, everything in my bag except my woods (metals) and my putter are Hogans. I think the fact that they are direct to consumer and they don't have a tour staff playing them hurts their popularity. Also, because the Ben Hogan of old was mainly for single digit players many don't realize they now make GI clubs. I played them for years both blades and cavity backs until Callaway discontinued the brand. When they came back a few years ago I wasn't looking for new irons. Finally, this Summer I ordered a set of their new Edge EZ irons. It's probably my best golf decision in decades.

I don't have a lot of experience with their drivers but I don't think even Luke Donald ever threw one in his bag when they had him as a staffer. I recall Luke Donald always had a TaylorMade driver when he was with Mizuno.
Their number one staffer has the driver in the bag now. Donald hasn’t really been relevant in years

Now I would have to say Bridgestone. Until I read this post I did not know they made golf clubs. I have never seen them on sale at any golf shop. My other choice would be Wilson. I know they make quality equipment but I rarely see them in anybody's bag.

I'd say Wilson. Un-sexy brand that make very good clubs.

Also, there's a British brand called Benross who make very good clubs that always get well reviewed. Less expensive no frills clubs (no adjustments) but still with enough tech to compete with the big boys.

Their number one staffer has the driver in the bag now. Donald hasn’t really been relevant in years

LD hasn't been relevant in...probably almost a decade now. But when Mizuno had him, he hit #1 in the OWGR, which is no small feat. I remember his WITBs and I don't think he ever had a Mizzie driver. I can'trecall if he even ever had any of their woods in his bag. I think he did have a Mizzuno (RJB? or TPM?) putter or two in his bag - though he did have that Odyssey 7 in his bag for a while as well.

LD hasn't been relevant in...probably almost a decade now. But when Mizuno had him, he hit #1 in the OWGR, which is no small feat. I remember his WITBs and I don't think he ever had a Mizzie driver. I can'trecall if he even ever had any of their woods in his bag. I think he did have a Mizzuno (RJB? or TPM?) putter or two in his bag - though he did have that Odyssey 7 in his bag for a while as well.
They still have him on staff. It's still an irons staff deal. For a number of those years, he was sponsored by TaylorMade for the driver too. Their number one staffer now, plays and has won with a Mizuno driver.

My choice would be The Ben Hogan Company. I'm surprised no one mentioned them. Granted, everything in my bag except my woods (metals) and my putter are Hogans. I think the fact that they are direct to consumer and they don't have a tour staff playing them hurts their popularity. Also, because the Ben Hogan of old was mainly for single digit players many don't realize they now make GI clubs. I played them for years both blades and cavity backs until Callaway discontinued the brand. When they came back a few years ago I wasn't looking for new irons. Finally, this Summer I ordered a set of their new Edge EZ irons. It's probably my best golf decision in decades.

I still have a set of Apex Edge that honestly I love. They might be some of the ugliest irons ever made, but they are performers. I don't know about the new stuff - haven't tried any of it.

Remember Bettinardi was producing Hogan putters for a stretch there as well.Underrated putters if you want to get into a milled putter those Hogan Bettis aren't a bad entry.

Mizuno is a challenging "underrated" brand because they are SO sought after in the iron game. Sure, their drivers are coming around beautifully, but they held ground and have gained traction in irons for ages.

I love the idea of giving Tour Edge the nod here. They have put out some spectacular products this year, to the point where guys who are 'just going to try it' have locked in and committed based on unexpected performance. That's hard to ignore.

Back