The 60 and over Thread

Played 9 today, first couple of holes were good. Then strated make mental errors, finished up with 2 pars. So a pretty good day.

If guys who play this game for a living, who have access to the the best equipment that is specifically fit to them, who have coaches/instructors they work with regularly to fine tune their swing, who maybe consult sports psychologists for the mental side of the game from time-to-time, and who practice for hours on end, can't be any more consistent than they are then I think the best we can hope for is an occasional streak of some kind where we put it all together.

I play once a week, and usually only 9 holes. Yet I beat myself up for not being able to lower my handicap. It makes no sense, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 9 holes today, had a look at some birdies. But made par and I am happy, game is slowly coming together. Still not consistent for the whole 9, but ti's getting close.

I’ve been suffering major back pain for a few days now. I’m visiting a chiropractor to see if they can help. I have mixed emotions about it. I couldn’t try and even play right now. I hope I can play next weekend, but I seriously doubt it.

Know what you mean.... I played 9 today and was relatively pleased - but, there always seems to be one hole that jumps up and bites you! If not for it, would’ve had a sub 40 nine. Of course, next time it will be a different hole that will be the mystery villain. ⛳

I’ve been suffering major back pain for a few days now. I’m visiting a chiropractor to see if they can help. I have mixed emotions about it. I couldn’t try and even play right now. I hope I can play next weekend, but I seriously doubt it.

Best of luck with your back!

Know what you mean.... I played 9 today and was relatively pleased - but, there always seems to be one hole that jumps up and bites you! If not for it, would’ve had a sub 40 nine. Of course, next time it will be a different hole that will be the mystery villain. ⛳
I know what you mean, it seems to a different hole each time.

Played 9 today, last time to play until after eye surgery. Today couldn't hit driver, pop ups and no distance. Hit my 2h real well, striaght and about 180. Hit some good iron shots today also. When I slow my swing down, I hit good iron shots. But driver just pop ups, need to find different driver or different shaft. I have a 65 mamiya comp in regilar flex.

Good luck with that, I have found that doing stretches throughout the week and walking helps mine, I also an a firm believer in wearing Stamina Pro Patche\s when i play

Played 9 today, last time to play until after eye surgery. Today couldn't hit driver, pop ups and no distance. Hit my 2h real well, striaght and about 180. Hit some good iron shots today also. When I slow my swing down, I hit good iron shots. But driver just pop ups, need to find different driver or different shaft. I have a 65 mamiya comp in regilar flex.

Driver popup? Tried to tee it slightly lower?

Driver pop ups can be from too steep of a swing. Try hitting more from inside on a shallower plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just discovered this thread.....only been a THP member here for a short time. I'll turn 76 years old next week, but I've shot my age a few times. Last year
I gave up the urge to play the white tees and moved up to the senior tees. Once in a while, I can still hit one 200 yards, but I've learned NOT to bother measuring
drives on my GPS and worry about how far I have LEFT to the green instead. My practice sessions no longer consist of pounding drivers either! Instead, I spend
about 45 minutes on and around the green (we have a good short game practice green at my course!) chipping and putting. Then I hit a small bucket with mostly irons (I carry
only 7-GW anymore), then maybe a few hybrids and call it a day. I have learned that my 9 wood, hybrids and wedges are now the most important clubs in my
bag, b/c those are the clubs I usually wind up hitting the most often. Oh yes....I try to walk more often than I ride.....luckily, most of the courses in Northwest
Ohio where I live are flat, which makes that easier to do. I'm sure I'll check in here more often, now that I've discovered this thread.....

I just discovered this thread.....only been a THP member here for a short time. I'll turn 76 years old next week, but I've shot my age a few times. Last year
I gave up the urge to play the white tees and moved up to the senior tees. Once in a while, I can still hit one 200 yards, but I've learned NOT to bother measuring
drives on my GPS and worry about how far I have LEFT to the green instead. My practice sessions no longer consist of pounding drivers either! Instead, I spend
about 45 minutes on and around the green (we have a good short game practice green at my course!) chipping and putting. Then I hit a small bucket with mostly irons (I carry
only 7-GW anymore), then maybe a few hybrids and call it a day. I have learned that my 9 wood, hybrids and wedges are now the most important clubs in my
bag, b/c those are the clubs I usually wind up hitting the most often. Oh yes....I try to walk more often than I ride.....luckily, most of the courses in Northwest
Ohio where I live are flat, which makes that easier to do. I'm sure I'll check in here more often, now that I've discovered this thread.....

I have moved up to the senior tees as well. The game is hard enough as it is, besides after a while chasing distance can become a fools errand. I enjoy walking as well. It's good exercise and most of the courses I play are relatively flat.

I practice my short game a lot, and it's been a real stroke saver. Our 5 time club champion says he wishes he had my short game. The nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so. My long game on the other hand...lol.

I have moved up to the senior tees as well. The game is hard enough as it is, besides after a while chasing distance can become a fools errand. I enjoy walking as well. It's good exercise and most of the courses I play are relatively flat.

I practice my short game a lot, and it's been a real stroke saver. Our 5 time club champion says he wishes he had my short game. The nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so. My long game on the other hand...lol.
"Our 5 time club champion says he wishes he had my short game."

I'm curious Sean....do you play most of your chips with the SAME club, or do you vary clubs acc. to how far you want it to fly and roll? I've been playing this game for
over 60 years, and I can't seem to settle on THE way that works best for me!! I'm just going back to the latter, after trying to use my sand wedge and gap wedge on
nearly all types of approaches. Obviously, it hasn't been working, or I wouldn't be asking....lol....

"Our 5 time club champion says he wishes he had my short game."

I'm curious Sean....do you play most of your chips with the SAME club, or do you vary clubs acc. to how far you want it to fly and roll? I've been playing this game for
over 60 years, and I can't seem to settle on THE way that works best for me!! I'm just going back to the latter, after trying to use my sand wedge and gap wedge on
nearly all types of approaches. Obviously, it hasn't been working, or I wouldn't be asking....lol....

I use various clubs around the green. I practice a lot with those clubs, so depending on where I am I know what club to use based on the situation I find myself in. For longer shots...up to 100 yards...I know how far each club will go with a quarter swing, half swing, three quarter swing, and full swing...though I don't often take a full swing with my lob or sand wedges. I also practice from a variety of lies...from a very tight lie, to one where the ball is buried deep in the rough, and anything in between. My full swing seems to always be a work in progress, so having a good short game is a must for me. The other day I got up and down 9/9 times. It's not always like that though...but it's rarely under 60%. While it requires some athleticism to make a full swing...and again, something that seems to always be a work in progress for me...the short game doesn't. So I know there is one area of my game I can practice and definitely see positive results. It has taken work, but given my lack of prowess in the long game, it was something I needed to do if wanted to score. My putting is also pretty good...or so those folks I play golf with tell me.

Good luck!

I enjoy reading about everybody’s journey. I will turn 61 in December. This has been the first year that I have really started to notice that my club speed has diminished significantly in the last 8 years. I don’t want to accept it, but I know that it is inevitable. The other thing that I am really noticing is that my hips hurt quite a bit after a round.

With the complaints aside, the game is still fun. I was standing on the 12th tee box on Saturday and was 2 under. I blew up over the last 7 holes with three double bogies, but that was me, not age.

I am starting some speed training this evening. We will see if I can get some of it back over the next 6 weeks.

Yes I think I need to tee it lower, that should take care of pop ups. Thanks for the information.

I use various clubs around the green. I practice a lot with those clubs, so depending on where I am I know what club to use based on the situation I find myself in. For longer shots...up to 100 yards...I know how far each club will go with a quarter swing, half swing, three quarter swing, and full swing...though I don't often take a full swing with my lob or sand wedges. I also practice from a variety of lies...from a very tight lie, to one where the ball is buried deep in the rough, and anything in between. My full swing seems to always be a work in progress, so having a good short game is a must for me. The other day I got up and down 9/9 times. It's not always like that though...but it's rarely under 60%. While it requires some athleticism to make a full swing...and again, something that seems to always be a work in progress for me...the short game doesn't. So I know there is one area of my game I can practice and definitely see positive results. It has taken work, but given my lack of prowess in the long game, it was something I needed to do if wanted to score. My putting is also pretty good...or so those folks I play golf with tell me.

Good luck!
That's what I wanted to hear! I've always leaned in that direction, but lately I've been trying just two wedges....UNsuccessfully, I might add. Yesterday, I practiced with
a variety of clubs and I plan to go back to that approach when I play tomorrow!!! Thanks!

I enjoy reading about everybody’s journey. I will turn 61 in December. This has been the first year that I have really started to notice that my club speed has diminished significantly in the last 8 years. I don’t want to accept it, but I know that it is inevitable. The other thing that I am really noticing is that my hips hurt quite a bit after a round.

With the complaints aside, the game is still fun. I was standing on the 12th tee box on Saturday and was 2 under. I blew up over the last 7 holes with three double bogies, but that was me, not age.

I am starting some speed training this evening. We will see if I can get some of it back over the next 6 weeks.

I'm turning 59 in a month. My swing speed is not great to begin with. I don't hit the ball that far and if my swing is off as it was this weekend (I was too steep) it makes for an interesting round. Thankfully, I can rely on an adequate short game and good putting to salvage my rounds

I was planning on beginning Superspeed training next spring after working on flexibility during the off season.

I'm turning 59 in a month. My swing speed is not great to begin with. I don't hit the ball that far and if my swing is off as it was this weekend (I was too steep) it makes for an interesting round. Thankfully, I can rely on an adequate short game and good putting to salvage my rounds

I was planning on beginning Superspeed training next spring after working on flexibility during the off season.
I was going to do it in the offseason, but there is this certain thing happening in November.

I was going to do it in the offseason, but there is this certain thing happening in November.

I think I heard something about something in November. :cool:

I enjoy reading about everybody’s journey. I will turn 61 in December. This has been the first year that I have really started to notice that my club speed has diminished significantly in the last 8 years. I don’t want to accept it, but I know that it is inevitable.

I'll be 61 in December as well. I have a different outlook on this game and aging. Maybe it's because I've never been long, but my goal for the last several years has been to learn to play old man style golf. I'm never going to be a single-digit player. That was likely never in the cards had I started playing as a kid. But I believe there may be better golf ahead even as my swing speed diminishes.

Case in point... I'd been working on the driver all week and did not have a lot of confidence in that club when approached the first tee yesterday morning. Sure enough, I hit a weak push that left an approach four clubs longer than I normally need. I pull a 4h, swing easy and stick the center of the green from 172 yards. On the next hole, a par 5, I top the driver for a spectacular 65 yard tee shot. Here we go again, I thought to myself. Instead, I cut the corner of the dogleg over the trees with a 185 yard 3h, setting up a mid iron to the green. Even though I missed the approach, I was able to chip on and 2-putt for bogey.

That's what I mean by old man style golf. I have no greater respect for a golfer than I do for those who can play this game at a high level without the crazy distance.

Having just a little control over those longer clubs along with a competent short game gave me a chance to shoot what was for me a decent score. The irony was that as I started to find my groove with the driver, twice it cost me strokes by hitting through the fairway and having to punch back out. LOL.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy hitting a long drive. I ended up with five yesterday that were considerably longer than my average. Of those, two were online and led to a par and a birdie. So I'm fully aware of the advantage distance brings. But there are many folks who hit shorter than me and regularly shoot in the low 80's from longer tees. I'd kill for that level of accuracy and control.

That's what I wanted to hear! I've always leaned in that direction, but lately I've been trying just two wedges....UNsuccessfully, I might add. Yesterday, I practiced with
a variety of clubs and I plan to go back to that approach when I play tomorrow!!! Thanks!
Another poor day of chipping today.....I shot 41-38-79, but could NOT get the ball close enough to the hole to make the putts.....I was 1 for 9 in getting it up and down.
Pretty pathetic....I was making solid contact....no fat or thin ones....but couldn't seem to get it inside 3 or even 4 feet to save my life!!! I'll keep working at it though.....sooner
or later all this practice is going to pay off....

Another poor day of chipping today.....I shot 41-38-79, but could NOT get the ball close enough to the hole to make the putts.....I was 1 for 9 in getting it up and down.
Pretty pathetic....I was making solid contact....no fat or thin ones....but couldn't seem to get it inside 3 or even 4 feet to save my life!!! I'll keep working at it though.....sooner
or later all this practice is going to pay off....

Yikes! Great score despite struggling to get up and down! Yeah, stick with it...you could start going really low.

In going back over my round, I discovered that I actually got up and down TWO times, out of 9.....Whoopee...!!! :giggle:

Back