The 60 and over Thread

In going back over my round, I discovered that I actually got up and down TWO times, out of 9.....Whoopee...!!! :giggle:
I guess the positive way to look at this is if you can square away that part of your game you can drop your handicap by 4 strokes.

I enjoy reading about everybody’s journey. I will turn 61 in December. This has been the first year that I have really started to notice that my club speed has diminished significantly in the last 8 years. I don’t want to accept it, but I know that it is inevitable. The other thing that I am really noticing is that my hips hurt quite a bit after a round.

With the complaints aside, the game is still fun. I was standing on the 12th tee box on Saturday and was 2 under. I blew up over the last 7 holes with three double bogies, but that was me, not age.

I am starting some speed training this evening. We will see if I can get some of it back over the next 6 weeks.

I firmly believe I would be 15-20 yards longer if I was still lifting weights. I had a partial torn triceps tendon that required 6 months of rest. Once I started back, I had bouts of tendinitis followed by bone spurs in my elbow. I hope the speed training helps, but lifting weights would be a great choice.

I use various clubs around the green. I practice a lot with those clubs, so depending on where I am I know what club to use based on the situation I find myself in. For longer shots...up to 100 yards...I know how far each club will go with a quarter swing, half swing, three quarter swing, and full swing...though I don't often take a full swing with my lob or sand wedges. I also practice from a variety of lies...from a very tight lie, to one where the ball is buried deep in the rough, and anything in between. My full swing seems to always be a work in progress, so having a good short game is a must for me. The other day I got up and down 9/9 times. It's not always like that though...but it's rarely under 60%. While it requires some athleticism to make a full swing...and again, something that seems to always be a work in progress for me...the short game doesn't. So I know there is one area of my game I can practice and definitely see positive results. It has taken work, but given my lack of prowess in the long game, it was something I needed to do if wanted to score. My putting is also pretty good...or so those folks I play golf with tell me.

Good luck!
I've been enjoying this thread a lot (I'm 66) and have come across many helpful nuggets. But this post is just so inspirational @Sean . I've been coasting lately because golf has been coming easier to me but most days I feel like I'm just leaving so much out there as far as scoring goes. Reading the bolded is just what I needed to get me off my a$$ and back to grinding on my short game. Today was brutal. One of my worst scores ever for an excellent ball striking day. But truth I've been greasing the skids so I shouldn't be surprised or upset.

Last edited:
I was looking for this thread, it seems like every other thread I have started is pain related. :-(

60 and over would be a good place to post!

I’ve been suffering major back pain for a few days now. I’m visiting a chiropractor to see if they can help. I have mixed emotions about it. I couldn’t try and even play right now. I hope I can play next weekend, but I seriously doubt it.

My chiro did more damage than help, very frustrating.

I've been enjoying this thread a lot (I'm 66) and have come across many helpful nuggets. But this post is just so inspirational @Sean . I've been coasting lately because golf has been coming easier to me but most days I feel like I'm just leaving so much out there as far as scoring goes. Reading the bolded is just what I needed to get me off my a$$ and back to grinding on my short game. Today was brutal. One of my worst scores ever for an excellent ball striking day. But truth I've been greasing the skids so I shouldn't be surprised or upset.

Best of luck Daddio! 👍

My chiro did more damage than help, very frustrating.

So far, I feel much better. It’s probably a combination of time, chiropractor, and stretching. I just need to keep stretching and strengthening my back.

Played the front 9 at North Kingstown today, but instead of playing from the white tees, I opted for the gold or senior tees shooting a 43 (3 pars, 5 bogies and a double). By way of comparison, my typical score from the whites is 46 or 47. My course handicap from the whites and golds is 22 and 17 respectively, so I feel pretty good about the 43 :cool:.

Also, it was a lot of fun being able to reach greens in regulation with an iron! This won't be my last time playing the golds.

After moving to Florida 5 months ago, the house was in good enough order that I got to go to the range this morning. Haven’t swung a club in 18 months. 3 wood off the tee and 6 hybrid thru bottom of the bag were pretty good for me. TE 7 wood, TE 4 ironwood and TE 4 hybrid were all ornery and to be decided for a place in the bag. This will be my focus next range session. Then an hour on short game which is becoming better. Maybe this weekend I’ll take Mrs. TLuke out for 9 where she can trounce me and take back my allowance.

To Fatshot

I know we're never happy, but scoring in the 70s when you're North of 60 years old is pretty darn good. I haven't broken 80 since July. If and when I do, I'll remember the couple of shots I left out there. It's part of our golf DNA.

I’ve been suffering major back pain for a few days now. I’m visiting a chiropractor to see if they can help. I have mixed emotions about it. I couldn’t try and even play right now. I hope I can play next weekend, but I seriously doubt it.
Sheesh, I have bad right ankle, and a bad left knee, and I also can not play right now. Golf is done for me right now and probably won't be able to play until next year sometime. I need surgery.

Sheesh, I have bad right ankle, and a bad left knee, and I also can not play right now. Golf is done for me right now and probably won't be able to play until next year sometime. I need surgery.
Well that sucks. Like my dad always said "getting old ain't for sissies". Hope you can avoid surgery, but if not: be diligent on the rehab.

Well that sucks. Like my dad always said "getting old ain't for sissies".
yep, that's the truth. 'Golden years' means you give all your gold (money) to the doctors.

Pleased to report that my short game returned today! I shot 75 (my age, as a matter of fact!) with 28 putts, and got up and
down 6 of 11 times, plus 1 sand save! Much more like it....!!!

Pleased to report that my short game returned today! I shot 75 (my age, as a matter of fact!) with 28 putts, and got up and
...and that is how we old guys score!

...and that is how we old guys score!

You got THAT right....!!! :giggle:

Golf is weird. I've been in a total funk for the past two weeks because of playing like 💩. My last two rounds I couldn't buy a shot unless it was at the beer cart and I had cash. Then I could buy a shot of whiskey. So today I did what I swore I wasn't going to do. I went to the driving range and hit off the mat. But... I brought my Lag Shot training aid.

If anyone thinks the ad that says it'll fix your swing in just one small bucket of practice balls is horse💩, I urge you to try one of these training aids. The common one is the 7i. I have the Driver and Wedge. I brought the driver since my wedge game is good. I warmed up with my 54 wedge, and then went straight for the Lag Shot driver. Was my timing off. OMG. But after 15 practice balls, I was hitting straight tee shots with it. It forced me to get my lower body moving first, and it forced me to swing smoothly.

The guy in the next lane was curious about it so I let him try it. It was an eye opener for him, too. He could feel it forcing him to smooth out everything. The pro I took lessons from loves this training aid.

So anyway, I tried hitting my real driver. It felt weird and I hit some really bad shots. So I went to my 7i.... the club I couldn't hit worth a damn at the course. I crushed them. Landing past the 157 marker and I wasn't even swinging hard. Just a nice easy swing with a good tempo. The ball went straight, too, shot after shot. Then to my 5H, which I have to remember is the same loft as my 6i and not to expect it to be a 185 club - it's a 175 club. And once I got that through my thick skull, :cautious:, those shots went further... and straight... too. Then back to the driver for the last 8... and I noticed the tee was the wrong height. Changed the tee height and suddenly started hitting the ball straight again. Amazing. Relaxed and good tempo. Done. Back home. Stop at Chick fil'A for a quick bite.

It probably didn't hurt my cause that i took pain meds before I went to the range either. It's easier to swing relaxed when your back isn't killing you.

Golf is weird. I've been in a total funk for the past two weeks because of playing like 💩. My last two rounds I couldn't buy a shot unless it was at the beer cart and I had cash. Then I could buy a shot of whiskey. So today I did what I swore I wasn't going to do. I went to the driving range and hit off the mat. But... I brought my Lag Shot training aid.

If anyone thinks the ad that says it'll fix your swing in just one small bucket of practice balls is horse💩, I urge you to try one of these training aids. The common one is the 7i. I have the Driver and Wedge. I brought the driver since my wedge game is good. I warmed up with my 54 wedge, and then went straight for the Lag Shot driver. Was my timing off. OMG. But after 15 practice balls, I was hitting straight tee shots with it. It forced me to get my lower body moving first, and it forced me to swing smoothly.

The guy in the next lane was curious about it so I let him try it. It was an eye opener for him, too. He could feel it forcing him to smooth out everything. The pro I took lessons from loves this training aid.

So anyway, I tried hitting my real driver. It felt weird and I hit some really bad shots. So I went to my 7i.... the club I couldn't hit worth a damn at the course. I crushed them. Landing past the 157 marker and I wasn't even swinging hard. Just a nice easy swing with a good tempo. The ball went straight, too, shot after shot. Then to my 5H, which I have to remember is the same loft as my 6i and not to expect it to be a 185 club - it's a 175 club. And once I got that through my thick skull, :cautious:, those shots went further... and straight... too. Then back to the driver for the last 8... and I noticed the tee was the wrong height. Changed the tee height and suddenly started hitting the ball straight again. Amazing. Relaxed and good tempo. Done. Back home. Stop at Chick fil'A for a quick bite.

It probably didn't hurt my cause that i took pain meds before I went to the range either. It's easier to swing relaxed when your back isn't killing you.
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at LagShot.

This what I have learned to accept in my game this year.
Stop trying to get GIR and use the 2nd shot to put the third shot in a good position to get up and down.
If I bogey, I bogey. I was putting too much pressure on my game - Let the game come to me.

I played 27 yesterday, and on the last 9 holes there was no one behind me so I practiced too...hit a couple of balls, chipped around the green, putted...I also looked for golf balls. My home course is littered with hazards and I haven't bought any golf balls in years. I found 30 golf balls, 21 of which were premium balls...mostly ProV's. I avoid balls that have been sitting in the water, unless they look fresh. There were a lot more for the taking, but I didn't feel like wrestling with the briar bushes.

I’m a younger guy (39) but with back issues I prefer to take it easy and play white tees, 6000ish is a nice course length for me, I drive 200-230 and love my Heavenwood and 5 hybrid. Most of my golf is played on Sun City courses, and I usually play as a single and end up playing with senior golfers both male and female. I just have to say, there are a lot of really good seniors out there, I get my butt kicked regularly by golfers twice my age. I really enjoy playing with all ages of golfers. I got paired with a threesome of 70 year old ladies my last round, and had the time of my life. I have a standing offer to join their daily 9am tee time whenever I’m available, lol.

Back