Under Appreciated Bands/Artists?

Here's my take...

A few years ago, someone cool/respected in the music industry, using a big mic (metaphor) made some negative comments about Nickelback, making it cool to not like Nickelback. Lemmings...

I think it has more to do with how Chad Kroeger sang into a microphone than it does what Collin Quinn said into one.

Not knowing what your definition of underappreciated I would say:
Supertramp
Little River Band
Carly Simon
Pat Benatar
Jefferson Airplane / 70's Jefferson Starship

All but Jefferson are not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Supertramp is so true. They only play a couple tracks on the radio but their catalog is so much deeper and better than that.

I’ve made quite the road trip to Nashville list of music thanks to this thread!
As to road trip music the Haircut 100 album Pelican West is a classic summertime windows down cruising the highway upbeat tunes and feeling good album. They werent around long i dont think but this album which is a cross between ska and new wave is great ( particularly on a nice summer day). Great addition to a road trip playlist.17412C46-B53B-43F5-A922-731828047843.jpeg

Just listened to an oldie but underrated band from the way back. The Beach Boys. Their music is so freaking cool and the influence in rock music they had with the way they layered sounds is some of the biggest stuff that has made later musicians music so cool.

You should come to Scotland my friend, Biffy are effing huge here - like, headlining festivals and arenas huge. Pretty sure they're not as well known over in the US right enough though, but then again they are Scottish and the pride is real :LOL:
Wisconsin is a wee bit away from Scotland. I stumbled on to Biffy Clyro recently and was made that I had never heard of them before.

I feel like Gary Allan gets hardly any airtime anymore. He's been my favorite for awhile, and used to get lots of play, but now it's rare to hear any of his stuff when I have the radio on.

Wisconsin is a wee bit away from Scotland. I stumbled on to Biffy Clyro recently and was made that I had never heard of them before.
They are a great band, their early stuff is a lot more angular and less instantly accessible than the new big hits but they are such a talented band. The phrase over here is "'mon the biff" :LOL:

Whiskey Meyers and Blackberry Smoke, huge followings at shows but very little radio play and very few people know who they are outside their superfans.

Toad The Wet Sprocket

Great band.

A few more:

Soundgarden
Gin Blossoms
Tracy Chapman
Steve Winwood
The Kinks
The Cure

And, I don't know if they are under appreciated or not but I'll throw REM out for discussion. Early REM was fantastic.

Great band.

A few more:

Soundgarden
Gin Blossoms
Tracy Chapman
Steve Winwood
The Kinks
The Cure

And, I don't know if they are under appreciated or not but I'll throw REM out for discussion. Early REM was fantastic.
Yes! Early REM is still on my playlists even to this day. Life’s Rich Pageant, Document, Murmur and Reckoning on regular rotation in our house.

Cinderella is very under appreciated

Another of mine:

Jeff Heaely Band
“You sing pretty good for a blind white guy” ……”Yeah and I thought you would be bigger”

The Atari’s

My favorite concert I’ve been to about 15-20 years ago just was Kris Roe by himself and an acoustic guitar after hours at a CD store at the mall. Afterwards he went with everyone to iHop.

Jurassic 5
Dilated Peoples
More or Les
Wordburglar
...so many more but mind went blank...

Jurassic 5
Dilated Peoples
More or Les
Wordburglar
...so many more but mind went blank...
I saw Jurassic 5 and Dilated Peoples in Milwaukee a long time ago. I bought a Jurassic 5 basketball jersey at the show and Chali 2na saw it and gave me a hug.

It was awesome.

I saw Jurassic 5 and Dilated Peoples in Milwaukee a long time ago. I bought a Jurassic 5 basketball jersey at the show and Chali 2na saw it and gave me a hug.

It was awesome.
that is badass. i saw them J5 3 times in Lawrence, KS, once with Dilated. One of the greatest things ever. I was in college so tight with my money, but we did hit them up for some autographs of a CD and vinyl at a local store before one of those shows. I would love to see them again.

that is badass. i saw them J5 3 times in Lawrence, KS, once with Dilated. One of the greatest things ever. I was in college so tight with my money, but we did hit them up for some autographs of a CD and vinyl at a local store before one of those shows. I would love to see them again.
They burned bright, but short. Quality Control is a criminally underappreciated album.

No love for Vixen? They were hugely under appreciated in their day

View attachment 9028409

This is actually a really good choice. 2 solid albums with Vixen and Rev It Up. Tangerine, meh... Lorraine Lewis from Femme Fatale is singing for them now and sound pretty good.

These are two that came to mind right away for me.

A few others:

Triumph
April Wine
Thin Lizzy
Nazareth

Just A Game, is a perfect album. I listen to it all the time.

How about some Louisville legends My Morning Jacket. Jim James is a master musician and songwriter. They mix a lot of sounds like rock, folk, some tech sounds, and country. Really spectacular live as well. They get after it.

Saw them at Bonnaroo, and other venues. They are awesome.

After some consideration I am going to add the following:

Traffic
Chicago Transit Authority
Yes

Great band.

A few more:

Soundgarden
Gin Blossoms
Tracy Chapman
Steve Winwood
The Kinks
The Cure

The Cure is a top 5 all-time band for me. I didn't name them earlier because I didn't know if they would qualify as underrated or under appreciated. I agree about REM.

Biffy Clyro are so good. Seen them a few times. Sadly, they just aren't well known here.

In the UK.... Totally different story. Lol.

Just give them time. Just listened to "When We Collide". What a great song!

Sister Hazel is one I neglected to list earlier.

On a personal related note, I proposed to my wife about 22 years ago on the beach behind the venue in Aisle of Palms, SC at a Sister Hazel concert right before they came on.

Back