Best French Fry Form?

Outside crispy, thin with skin and seasoned just right.

Fresh cut non-soggy salty fries, close second is shoestring

Whatever Wendy’s fries are considered is my choice.

Waffle fries are hideous! Just another way to "form and shape" a less than whole potato! Get a clue people!

My preference is shoestring potatoes, well salted and served with malt vinegar! Ambrosia! This comes from way back in my childhood. This was long before there was anything like McDonald's or Burger King in the area. There was a local family who had a couple of burger stands called "Yum-Yum Burger". Everything was just so good!

Last edited:
If waffle fries Tots are the next best.

NO to limp, greasy, fresh cut fries. McDonalds does it best.

Wedges

Thin crispy fries (not shoe string thin) with salt.

We have had a thread on this in the past, but I was debating a friend today over it while working. While he believes it’s waffle fries, he is incorrect, but it’s a good novelty and offers great dipping.

So other than waffle fries, what is the best French fry form?

1a) Curly Fries
1b) Wedges

Spoiler
unfortunately for my belly I have never met a French Fry construct I didn't enjoy

1) Shoestring
2) Crinkle cut
3) Curly
Steak fries

NO to limp, greasy, fresh cut fries. McDonalds does it best.
McDonalds fries are awesome when they're hot, but absolutely disgusting when they get cold.

1. Waffle
2. Steak/wedge when done right

Curly

Crinkle
Skin on
but waffle is the best

No it does not 😀

Waffle fries while delicious, are difficult to dip in regular cup. The do offer the ability to carry ample amounts of sauce though under proper dipping conditions. Shoestring require bunching several together....unless you're a psychopath who eats super thin fries one at a time.
Tatertots are the logical answer here but have been DQ'D by @JB for having a superior advantage. I'm going with crinkle fries.

Fries suck anymore with the oil requirements.

If I bother I have shoestring fried in lard at home. You can ban me from buying finished product with it in it, but you can’t ban me from lard. You do that I’ll use bacon grease. 🤣. You want me to die of a heart attack? Keep it up!

Sign me up for some skin-on, homemade fries cooked in lard.

Second place is steak cut with a dash of salt and mayonnaise.

For awhile in my teens, I worked at the hockey rink concession as the “potato guy”. It was my job to wash the spuds and manually press each one through the potato cutter. Ever since then I’ve always appreciated the natural French fry variety.

Does a tater tot fall in the French fry category? If so, sign me up.
if not, I’ll pass.
A tater is not a french fry.:ROFLMAO: It is more like a hot dog.:eek: It is comprised of leftovers from the manufacturing of french fries.:ROFLMAO:

Curly Fries!!!

(And yes I know it is Thursday)

Well a jo-jo is a fried potatoe, does that count as a fry? The margin of execution is so thin! Better not screw them up.

1632403197840.png

Tot FTW IMO

When done well, crinkle cut are hard to beat.

I like them all, really, including waffle. Not a big fan of the skinny shoestrings, though.

Fries suck anymore with the oil requirements.
This. Once McDonald's stopped using beef tallow, their fries became just average like everyone else. Tallow or lard is the only way to get tasty fries. Oil is never going to get you there.

Back