Best French Fry Form?

man. Im a big waffle fry fan but the best? I dont think so. If i was forced to choose, which seems unfair, Id go shoestring first. handcut normal next, curly and waffle tied, and then last is always going to be the big and usually akwardly mushy steak fries. God i hate steak fries

Tot FTW IMO

Dude, Thats Just Like Your Opinion Man!

Of course you stated that ( 🤣), and I have nothing against tots per se. I was at a fancier than usual restaurant with my lady friend, they had “tots” that I swear had no actual potato in them. She liked them, I did not. They almost tasted like a bad (worse?) version of Long John Silvers Hush Puppies. I even like those. Ish.

Give me skin on hand cut that've been crisped right up.

I love the steak fry form.
I fantasize about McDonalds making a steak fry......mmmmmmmm.

You know, I've posted things here that could contradict what I'm about to say, but I've really come around.

The french fry needs only to be salted. If it is salted (appropriately) it will be a good fry. It can be crispy and warm in any form and still be bad if its not salted.

I go with a thin cut like McDonald's, but the crinkle cut surface area (a la Nathan's) allows for more crispiness. I am definitely a waffle cut fan!!!

1. Thin, crispy, and well salted (Whataburger does this the best, but others suffice)
2. Crinkle cut
3. Shoestring
4. Natural cut/skin on
5. Battered and seasoned
6. Waffle
7. Curly
8. A whole, raw, unwashed potato
9. Steak/Wedge

I love crinkle fries and steak fries.

Well a jo-jo is a fried potatoe, does that count as a fry? The margin of execution is so thin! Better not screw them up.

View attachment 9029467

Those look good. I don't know them as jo-jo's. I know them as whatever the name is on the bag... it's black and white and checkerboard.

You know, I've posted things here that could contradict what I'm about to say, but I've really come around.

The french fry needs only to be salted. If it is salted (appropriately) it will be a good fry. It can be crispy and warm in any form and still be bad if its not salted.

Chik-Fil-A sauce is a must.(y)

So…. A French fry…. 🤣
No. No. No. No. No. NONONONONONO!!!:ROFLMAO: It's not a french fry because all that makes a fry is removed for the fries. What's left is... a tot. Like a hotdog. It cannot be mistaken for lips, ears, tails, and tongues... it's a hotdog. Something that "could be construed" as meat but most likely isn't.

I'm just being contrary. A tater tot is almost a fry... in a more dense form. They're not as good as a waffle cut fry is but they're better than shoestring fries. And they're awesome in a Sonic breakfast burrito. Or smothered in cheese and bacon bits. :D

Those slim crinkle fries at Raising Canes are my top pick

1632417593509.png

1. Whatever you consider McDonalds
2. Curly
3 Steak

I like shoe string. Not a fan of crinkle or steak fries to be honest. I like them thin and crispy. Honestly I even prefer sweet potato with honey mustard the most. If that is an option, I almost always take it.

Crinkle or shoestring are fine with me so long as they are a bit crispy on the outside. Not a fan of limp noodles

as long as they are properly crispy, it usually doesn't matter what form they are in, including sweet potato fries

My favorite would be potatoes sliced as chips and deep fried.
Second would be home made medium sized wedges

When I ate fries, it was waffle or crinkle cut. Nowadays, it’s onion rings for me. A local ice cream/burgers and such place is closing Oct 3. Here’s how good their rings are: they sell 150 lbs, made on site from uncut onions, of onion rings every day.

Fries suck anymore with the oil requirements.

If I bother I have shoestring fried in lard at home. You can ban me from buying finished product with it in it, but you can’t ban me from lard. You do that I’ll use bacon grease. 🤣. You want me to die of a heart attack? Keep it up!

Good for you! Lard is the absolute best frying medium out there today! What is it? It's rendered pork fat, which our bodies have evolved to digest. It's not like engineered "trans-fats" which our bodies are not! I've enjoyed a much easier time digesting fried foods since I started using lard, than anything else.

Good for you! Lard is the absolute best frying medium out there today! What is it? It's rendered pork fat, which our bodies have evolved to digest. It's not like engineered "trans-fats" which our bodies are not! I've enjoyed a much easier time digesting fried foods since I started using lard, than anything else.

I mean it’s so simple this caveman can understand? New stuff sucks, you still die. Old stuff doesn’t suck, you still die?

Give me the lard. Thanks.

We have had a thread on this in the past, but I was debating a friend today over it while working. While he believes it’s waffle fries, he is incorrect, but it’s a good novelty and offers great dipping.

So other than waffle fries, what is the best French fry form?
Shoestring. My favorite.

Had “Idaho Nachos” at the course yesterday, they were pretty good. Waffle fries smothered in melted cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions, salsa and sour cream.

Home made chips (as we call them). Similar to your steak fries.

Cooked in a big pot deep fried in lard/oil. Absolutely amazing. Soft and fluffy on the inside but crispy on the outside. Salt, vinegar and a sauce of your choosing or inside two slices of buttered bread for a "chip butty" :p

Attachments

• Air-fried-chips-c3a5d44.jpg
    Air-fried-chips-c3a5d44.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0
Back