Eclectic music and what im listening too

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I am fairly set in my overall music tastes, growing up with hard rock/alternative/grunge in the 90's but I feel I have a fairly wide and eclectic taste in music.
Some of the more fun and odd things that have popped up on my pandora Playlist that have been really fun to listen and learn about.

Earl
France Gall
Brass Against
Blackmill
Sofi Tukker
Elder

I hve Elder live at Roadburn from 2013 on my phone for walking the dog. Check out The Spacelords for some cool instrumental psychedelic jams.

I will say that Sofi Tukker was fairly obscure just 2-3 years ago but is now headlining festivals.

If you like Blackmill you may like Zeds Dead (similar dubstep undertone) or The Glitch Mob for eclectic electronic.
ford. , Elderbrook, Bob Moses, The Blaze, and Polo & Pan immediately come to mind if you're into softer instrumental electronics.

I will say that Sofi Tukker was fairly obscure just 2-3 years ago but is now headlining festivals.

If you like Blackmill you may like Zeds Dead (similar dubstep undertone) or The Glitch Mob for eclectic electronic.
ford. , Elderbrook, Bob Moses, The Blaze, and Polo & Pan immediately come to mind if you're into softer instrumental electronics.
Maybe not full dubstep but love Polynesian dub, Salmonella Dub from New Zealand are very good, seen them back in 97

I'd heard Sofi Tukker but didn't know it was her. It was in and amongst a lot of other tracks djs are mixing into streams...

Some of what I've been watching and listening to on youtube and amazon radio:

Chill - background music for work because I can't stand a quiet office. This includes playlists from
Lane 8
Nora en Pure
Yotto
Sultan

Trance Female vocals the voices in my head

Hardstyle - Defqon 1 shows from when it began in 2003 through now. This includes other festivals also... but artists that show up there
TNT
Timmy Trumpet
ShowTek
Dmitri Vegas and Like Mike
Armin Van Buren

Other festivals are Reverze, Tomorrowland, EDC, Ultra Miami, Titanium, Dominator, Decibel,

Then there's hardcore... Monsters of Hardcore events with
Miss K8
Korsakof
Angerfist

And I let the youtube algorithms go from there for suggestions.

How could I forget Lane 8? He's great.

Also want to add Rufus Du Sol and Crooked Colours, two of my personal faves right now.

I'd heard Sofi Tukker but didn't know it was her. It was in and amongst a lot of other tracks djs are mixing into streams...

Some of what I've been watching and listening to on youtube and amazon radio:

Chill - background music for work because I can't stand a quiet office. This includes playlists from
Lane 8
Nora en Pure
Yotto
Sultan

Trance Female vocals the voices in my head

Hardstyle - Defqon 1 shows from when it began in 2003 through now. This includes other festivals also... but artists that show up there
TNT
Timmy Trumpet
ShowTek
Dmitri Vegas and Like Mike
Armin Van Buren

Other festivals are Reverze, Tomorrowland, EDC, Ultra Miami, Titanium, Dominator, Decibel,

Then there's hardcore... Monsters of Hardcore events with
Miss K8
Korsakof
Angerfist

And I let the youtube algorithms go from there for suggestions.
Sofi Tukker did the music to the hbo series The Young Pope & The New Pope which is how I found them.

I think I found Sofi Tukker watching youtube videos of other artists... I've not heard of the two shows you metioned.

There's a lot (in my opinion) of good music out there... unfortunately, it gets lost in the shuffle, between the cracks, and overridden by the other music that isn't so good. There's a lot (in my opinion) of crappy music out there too.:ROFLMAO:

I think I found Sofi Tukker watching youtube videos of other artists... I've not heard of the two shows you metioned.

There's a lot (in my opinion) of good music out there... unfortunately, it gets lost in the shuffle, between the cracks, and overridden by the other music that isn't so good. There's a lot (in my opinion) of crappy music out there too.:ROFLMAO:

I'm reminded of the interviews accompanying the Blue Oyster Cult concerts in Europe. The kids were saying how much they loved the music, and wondered why the radio stations didn't play anyting like it! That's because the local stations are run by corporations who have no vision, no outlook, and no feel for the local music scene! Radio stations were much better off when they were left to their own devices. They had a finger on the pulse of the local market!

But, since everythings' gone corporate, everything must be run from the top! Note the uniformity in NFL signage and announcements. Every time there is a 3rd down, do you really need some screamer to announce, "IT'S 3RD DOWN!' Seriously? Or aren't you paying attention!

I'm reminded of the interviews accompanying the Blue Oyster Cult concerts in Europe. The kids were saying how much they loved the music, and wondered why the radio stations didn't play anyting like it! That's because the local stations are run by corporations who have no vision, no outlook, and no feel for the local music scene! Radio stations were much better off when they were left to their own devices. They had a finger on the pulse of the local market!

This has been going on for a while and its unfortunate. Media Market deregulation is a big factor in this which happened in the 90's. This allowed companies like Clear Channel Communications (IHeartRadio now) to come in and buy up stations willing to sell for whatever reasons. I believe your were only allowed 2 outlets (radio, TV, newspaper, ect) per media market before deregulation, and there are just over 200 markets in the US. After, its all off the table.

So for example two competing rock stations which were similar, but which might have leaned more grungier/alternative one way and more Hard rock/metal another are now gone, reformatted, one turns into a top forty station, and the rock stations plays the same ol stuff over and over again just like it does in the market south of you and the market north of you. Diversity is gone, less exposure means less people talking about it, means less album and ticket sales, ect ect....

I've been streaming internet radio since about 2000 from various sources and with the exception of youtube, I won't tune in to anything else.

This has been going on for a while and its unfortunate. Media Market deregulation is a big factor in this which happened in the 90's. This allowed companies like Clear Channel Communications (IHeartRadio now) to come in and buy up stations willing to sell for whatever reasons. I believe your were only allowed 2 outlets (radio, TV, newspaper, ect) per media market before deregulation, and there are just over 200 markets in the US. After, its all off the table.

So for example two competing rock stations which were similar, but which might have leaned more grungier/alternative one way and more Hard rock/metal another are now gone, reformatted, one turns into a top forty station, and the rock stations plays the same ol stuff over and over again just like it does in the market south of you and the market north of you. Diversity is gone, less exposure means less people talking about it, means less album and ticket sales, ect ect....

I've been streaming internet radio since about 2000 from various sources and with the exception of youtube, I won't tune in to anything else.

Yeah, I've given up on music radio. I listen to sportstalk. A couple years ago we played a course with a really nice outdoor covered bar. The tunes emanating from it cause me to stop there and get a beer outside, while my friends went inside, into the air conditioning, to freeze their joints solid! I don't like that. I just like to find some shade and cool down gradually. It makes my knees hurt less. Besides, the music was just great.

I went to the bar, which was crowded, to order my first beer and retired to a table. Towards the end of my first beer, another barmaid came on duty, and the original barmaid came out ot wait on table. I ordered another beer, and when she brought it I asked her where the music was coming from. What music service did they use. She said it came from her phone! HUH! Sorry, but I am horribly behind the times on this, but I do not own a smartphone! I asked if it was an app and she said it was Spotify!

I was astounded at the quality of the music. What was playing seemed like extended tracks of live Allman Brothers, but I have all their stuff and had never heard any of this. Doing some research, it seems that Spotify has access to some vaults of stored, unreleased music! And considering the age of the barmaid, she was quite young, I had to figure that her parents raised her right!

Back