You changed to graphite shafts in your irons. Happy that you did it? Or not?

How many have you tried? For example, the Recoil 95s clearly launched higher but the Accra 110s were on par with modus 120 for me, at least well within my variance. It may be person and model specific but lots of options to look at nowadays.
I try to try as many as I can. I haven't done a whole set since then though. There aren't a lot of non-lighter weight options. A couple there are, are a bad fit, and a couple more are just damn expensive/hard to find to test. It's a tough thing. I'm not closed to the idea, just not necessarily excited by any results I've seen either.

I bought my first set of graphite irons in 2006. Never looked back.

I switched a set a year or two ago based on some reviews. I regretted it. I pulled them and sold them, so no huge loss, but they did not feel or perform at all like steel, like people claimed they did/do. Then someone from the company later said that they were designed to launch higher, and would not perform the same as steel, and I was like 'so why do people keep saying they do? :unsure:'.

My body would love some more options that might work with graphite though.

Which did you try?

I played some a few years ago very briefly. I loved the performance could not stand the feel.

It was the Aldila rip proto 115 Tx flex. The ball fligh was great but they felt so bad I could not over look it. I really want to try something else maybe recoil proto 120s. I am concerned about blind buying and having horrible feel again.

Firstly have no physical ailments , impairments or residual pain points in my body .
Had steel shafted irons up until start of this year , purchased Mizuno hot metals with graphite shafts,
After brief discussion with fitter my thoughts are age , and l want these for some time , so l will grow into the club more.
Experimenting and choice made , have used them since January .
Could not be happier,with overall product, higher lofted clubs seem to be more accurate ( this maybe combination of fitted set as opposed to out if a box previously) But the zing through the air and feel really enjoy and endorse .
Get fit for purpose and person . And maximise your tools .

Switched to graphite in 2007. First in Steelfiber then to Recoil 95, Mitsu OT 75, Accra i80, Accra CW95, MMT 85. I like the MMT - less spin, slightly lower flight than Accra. I've experimented with weight and 85-95g is a sweet spot. Liking the MMT 85 as my favorite shaft.

Higher flight than steel, controllable and workable, and easier on the body.

The only steel I use is GW-LW and only Nippon Steel 105 in my wedges. Had elbow issues with KBS Steel. Haven't had elbow issues due to Nippon, but only recently due 5 weeks of hitting off bad mats. And it's taken 3 weeks to get rid of the pain since overseeding and allowing us to hit off grass again.

Last edited:
I went the opposite way. After playing graphite shafts in the irons for 16 years, I went back to steel shafts in Nippon 90's. My distances are very similar to the graphites but the steels give me better control and less curvature with normal shots.

I've genuinely never tried a graphite shaft in an iron, but I'm thinking about trying them at my next fitting. Curiosity if nothing else, my ball striking improved dramatically going from 120 to 90, so be interesting to see if there was any tangible benefits to me.

Switched to graphite and haven’t looked back. Plenty of options to fit most needs and helps reduce any discomfort from poor strikes.

In 2018 I ordered the CF16 irons with Recoil 780, struggled with the lighter weight, overcooked them. I had a bad case of tennis elbow so that's why I switched from steel. Last year elbow felt better so went with CF19s with Elevate 95s with the vibration dampening. Enjoy them alot but notice some elbow, forearms, and shoulder pain now after playing. Not too bad but its definitely there. If I get new irons next year, going to look at those MMT shafts in 95 or 105 weight that come with the CF21s.

I went graphite in my Morgan Cup bag. I love them. I got Catalyst 80 in my irons and Recoil 95's in my wedges. Of the 2 I prefer the Recoil 95's. The Catalyst 80's were almost too stiff. They were stiffer than my prior Project X LZ irons prior to the event.

Graphite for me. My body thanks me each time out on the course. Tried a couple steel last year and quickly found that was a no no.

I enjoyed my time playing steel shafts but switched to graphite probably seven years ago. I have played Aerotek, recoils and now MMT. I find the biggest difference in the switch was just like most people say it’s just easier on your body and illuminates a lot of pain that unfortunately creeps in with age and injury.

I have still scored okay playing graphite so I don’t think it has much impact at least on my game and has allowed me to play a lot annually without constant pain.

Have had graphites for so long, I don't remember the difference. Using graphite 56 in the sand (less pain for the wrist). But, it really lacks the feel of a steel shaft.

I’ve been graphite for two years now. I seriously doubt that I would ever return to steel. Just hearing about the reduction of wrist and elbow pain is enough for me.

Same stability and strength as sin a lighter weight? Vibration dampening? Increased energy transfer?

All reasons I truly enjoy graphite.

I’ll be moving back for 2022.

Always had graphite, since my first set of Mizuno MGC-35s.

New set (only my 3rd ever) has Steelfeber FC90s…. Going to be interesting and will feedback here.

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I switched about 3 years ago and have been hitting my irons longer than ever. And no more pain in my elbow.

I switched to graphite iron shafts in 2020. Glad I did. Zero joint pains.

Absolutely happy with graphite. Only tangible improvement was for my joints and while no discernible performance improvement, there wasn’t any drop off at all.

Yes, my joints are very happy I made the switch.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I have a set of irons with Recoil shafts and absolutely love them. I honestly can’t even tell the difference from a feel perspective, but the stability is amazing and My swing doesn’t feel as lethargic at the end of the round.

After being out for a back injury, I switched midway through this year to Steelfiber i95s. They feel great. Dispersion ratio is actually tighter. Shoulders, which always used to hurt after playing, don't anymore. With too much play, I used to get some soreness and even a slight case of tendonitis in my elbow(s) from time to time. Have not felt ANY elbow soreness at all playing and practicing nearly everyday, since adding the Steelfibers. The only downside is, now, every time I buy a new set of irons, they are going to cost a LOT more to get them with Steelfibers, but hey, it's totally worth it IMO. And based on everything I've read in this thread, most everyone else agrees.

Last edited:
Back