Dealing with time away from golf

I’m just now getting back into the swing of playing. For the last 2 1/2 years I didn’t play very much golf at all because I was working on my MPA degree while I was working and balancing home life. Due to the expense of that and all the time it took golf was put to the side for a good long while. I finished the program about two months ago and I have been mentally decompressing and enjoying having weekends with nothing to do or read or write papers. I just bought a Mevo Plus simulator for my golf room and I am looking forward to swinging the clubs every day again.Just having the time again to play feels so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt in the winter & fish year round. (y)

I got into other expensive hobbies like bench rest target shooting, 3D printing, and fishing. Probably not the best idea I’ve had. I may suck at golf but at least it’s still fun. Nowadays I have my Putt Out trainer and a ball out and I’ll hit a few putts as time allows.

THP, YouTube, PuttOut practice, Club building, club cleaning, research…

Plenty to keep busy!

How do you deal with long periods of time without golf? Are there other hobbies or outlets that scratch the same itch?

Between injuries and life, my time for golf is essentially zero right now. I went from daily putting and twice a week practice to maybe a round or two a month (if the stars align and my body cooperates). I expect surgery will result in at least 4-6 months away from the game too, so I’m looking for something.
For me its woodworking and lawn care. Last year, my wife and I bought an old house that the yard was a mess and Ive spent the past year trying to rehab the yard. Its come a long way in the past year and Im nearly the point where I need to just sit back and let Mother Nature do her thing but golf has really been put on the back burner.
Also, last year when we bought the house, I got to where I have a garage again and I took half of our 2-car garage and turned it into a small workshop. I got into woodworking and I got into making small piece of furniture. I also have just about every woodworking tool that you could want (and if you think golf is an expensive hobby, try getting into woodworking) and now its just a matter of my skills being able to keep up with what the tools that I own can do. By no means am I a great woodworker but Ive learned a lot over the past year and my skills have vastly improved. Ive made a couple barstools, some small end tables and I made my wife a huge outdoor dining table. Next up is a front porch swing and then maybe some Adirondack chairs. The porch swing should be pretty easy, not so much with the Adirondack chairs. LOL

Are there other hobbies or outlets that scratch the same itch?
No, not really, which is sad.

I am so addicted to this game that other activities I used to be passionate about have become a way just to pass time when I can't hit golf balls.

After back surgeries in 2012, even bending over to chip and putt was a problem. So, since I am a huge Ben Hogan fan, I began collecting Ben Hogan clubs. I went to ironfinder.com and bought, over time, a 3-iron for every different style of Hogan iron I could find. The pro at the range I go to took the clubheads off the shafts and now I have a nice little collection of Hogan ironheads on display.

Once my back started getting better, but I still didn't want to swing, I took a lesson in chipping, practiced hard, developed a system, and got REAL GOOD at chipping.

You can do lots of things if you can't play for a while. Just use your imagination.

Over the winter months it is home renovation, lots of re-painting, furniture re-finishing, the odd afternoon nap on weekends, snow shoeing and lastly try to keep the weight off by hitting the treadmill 5 times a week (harder than it sounds working 10 hours a day).

How do you deal with long periods of time without golf? Are there other hobbies or outlets that scratch the same itch?

Between injuries and life, my time for golf is essentially zero right now. I went from daily putting and twice a week practice to maybe a round or two a month (if the stars align and my body cooperates). I expect surgery will result in at least 4-6 months away from the game too, so I’m looking for something.
Sorry to hear about the likely surgery my friend, that's tough.

Definitely find something else to keep you busy. I chase digital monsters with Cal or find funko pops with him in my spare time, so maybe not those things haha - but there's got to be something worth diving into to keep you entertained while you're on the mend.

Winter weather is approaching and depending on temperatures it could easily be 2-3 months without golf.
I like to read. I'll spend time reading new books from some favorite authors, or try and discover some new authors, or re-reading some old favorites. Other than that, I tend to hibernate like an old bear and sleep a lot!

Back