You changed to graphite shafts in your irons. Happy that you did it? Or not?

Switched from DG x100s to the MMT 105X. My elbows and shoulders are loving them! I have a slightly higher ball flight and have to more consciously put the ball back a bit to hit a flighted wedge shot, but overall, I love them. I think the stability of the graphite has actually helped my dispersion slightly (or it could be the Apex Pros). I also find the lighter weight has ever so slightly increased my speed.

Went from KBS Tour S+ (125g) in my D7 Forged to buying SteelFiber 115 S in Apex Pro 21 on a really good deal and while I don't mind them at the range, I'm not as big a fan on the course. No joint issues yet, but I think I'm going to be in the pull and re-shaft category as well :/. Sucks because they're brand new!

Initial thoughts were that I was playing a lighter, smaller, and more demanding iron, but I played about 6 round with the Apex Pros in the stock Elevate ETS 115g and loved them (minus the sky balls). I also feel like I'm not swinging as hard/fast with the graphite but it's likely all mental. For now the direct feedback and weight with steel is appreciated especially since I need to drop my launch.

Not sure if it's just me but the graphite almost feels stiffer/less responsive/ not as connected than the steel when I'm trying to load these shaft. :unsure: Hate spending the $$ to get re-fit but not having confidence in my gear will get the better of me in the long run.

Not sure if it's just me but the graphite almost feels stiffer/less responsive/ not as connected than the steel when I'm trying to load these shaft. :unsure: Hate spending the $$ to get re-fit but not having confidence in my gear will get the better of me in the long run.

It was suggested to me that Steelfibers tend to play stiffer than you might expect. At least mine do. I moved to R-flex in my i95s after getting a recommendation from a few other Steelfiber players...and one fitter, even though I played stiff in my AMTs. I was amazed they felt as stiff as my S-flex. But after a few rounds, I really started to see their benefits coming through. My dispersion was better for sure, but I also found a smoothness I never noticed with steel. Can't explain it.

Did it back when I re-shafted my DCI 962s with Aldila NV Pro 105s.

Also did a Cleveland 588 53º and a Cleveland 691 58º with them.
Never regretted it. Would rather play hickory than steel now.

I tried the 125 gram UST Recoils for about 6 months and typically I’ll play X100’s. It was one of the worst periods of golf for me as I had zero control with them. Massively high, spinny ball flights that wanted to hook off the planet. I don’t have any chronic elbow/wrist/shoulder pain so it’s hard to quantify if they were any better on my joints. I have zero desire to go back to graphite in irons any time soon.

It was suggested to me that Steelfibers tend to play stiffer than you might expect. At least mine do. I moved to R-flex in my i95s after getting a recommendation from a few other Steelfiber players...and one fitter, even though I played stiff in my AMTs. I was amazed they felt as stiff as my S-flex. But after a few rounds, I really started to see their benefits coming through. My dispersion was better for sure, but I also found a smoothness I never noticed with steel. Can't explain it.

So I'm not crazy! (at least not for that reason).

I’m in the process of testing the graphite waters. I am hoping I’ll love them. Would love to get something easier on the body. I played a lot of golf this year and feel beat up lol. Got the MMT’s on the way and hoping that makes things better!

Pain in elbow after a round disappeared after switch to graphite so I am sticking with it.

I switched for the last 4-5 years. But have had some sets come through with steel shafts too. My body does feel better post round with the graphite shafts. I don't really have any negatives to say about them.

Switched three years ago and primarily play Recoil 95's now although one of my sets still has steel. Fatigue is non existent. Takes a little getting used to the lighter weight if you go that route but after you dial them in, their great. I don't think they would be ideal for everyone but I'm happy.

Just started on Steelfibers. Will be interesting to see how they compare to Graphite...

A

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Went from KBS Tour S+ (125g) in my D7 Forged to buying SteelFiber 115 S in Apex Pro 21 on a really good deal and while I don't mind them at the range, I'm not as big a fan on the course. No joint issues yet, but I think I'm going to be in the pull and re-shaft category as well :/. Sucks because they're brand new!

Initial thoughts were that I was playing a lighter, smaller, and more demanding iron, but I played about 6 round with the Apex Pros in the stock Elevate ETS 115g and loved them (minus the sky balls). I also feel like I'm not swinging as hard/fast with the graphite but it's likely all mental. For now the direct feedback and weight with steel is appreciated especially since I need to drop my launch.

That's a pretty monstrous setup for Steelfiber 115 and Stiff. Even Kuchar and Snedecker use i95. They play stiff to flex. I used the i95 starting in 2007 and the guy said he would double soft step a stiff. I thought why bother with a stiff? I am now faster but would contemplate a senior flex in i95 or an R flex soft stepped once.

You might try Recoils - similar but play true to flex.

That's a pretty monstrous setup for Steelfiber 115 and Stiff. Even Kuchar and Snedecker use i95. They play stiff to flex. I used the i95 starting in 2007 and the guy said he would double soft step a stiff. I thought why bother with a stiff? I am now faster but would contemplate a senior flex in i95 or an R flex soft stepped once.

You might try Recoils - similar but play true to flex.
It’s def different but I’m also comfortable playing C-taper And have swung X100 and PX 6.5s here and there. I’m 33 so I still get away with a lot in the heavy shafts.

It’s def different but I’m also comfortable playing C-taper And have swung X100 and PX 6.5s here and there. I’m 33 so I still get away with a lot in the heavy shafts.

You might try MMT's.

I think I’m ready to go back again.

I think.

You might try MMT's.

That was the original plan! For now I’m going to play the graphite through winter golf then get a full bag fitting in the spring. My swing has changed so much in the past 6mo, I need it.

It's been several years (decades) ago. I was at a golf seminar. First one I ever went to.

I was offered a set of graphite irons at a really good price. They were sort of fitted. I was pretty gullible at the time.

I purchased them, and played them for about 6 months. They were just OK, but I never really got comfortable with them. To this day, I even remember the shot that moth balled them.

At a demo days, I tried a steel shafted Tour Edge Ironwood. Long story short, I quit the graphite clubs and went with the Ironwoods for the next several years. Played my best golf with steel shafts.

I like graphite shafts for two reasons: 1) I had a very bad case of tennis elbow...I couldn't even pick up a glass of water...and switching to graphite took care of that, and 2) my irons/wedges are +2-inches, and with steel shafts the swing weight was E7.

I like graphite shafts for two reasons: 1) I had a very bad case of tennis elbow...I couldn't even pick up a glass of water...and switching to graphite took care of that, and 2) my irons/wedges are +2-inches, and with steel shafts the swing weight was E7.

You were a man of steel - E7!

My elbow hurts thinking about it off mats.

I have gone to graphite shafts in everything but my putter. Much easier on the joints and because they are lighter I don't run out of gas as quickly.

I am about to go back to steel. I have i95s and in my recent fitting I hit Modus 120s better. I should have the new irons soon so we will see how it works out.

I switched in 2020 and haven’t looked back…

Back