Alt Shot Hole-in-One

Is it a hole-in-one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would count it as a hole in one. The question that everyone but me already knows the answer too. Has their been a hole in one at an event?
THP event? Yes, I witnessed one back in 2014 or 2015 I can't remember which one... It was AWESOME. True Blue #14

Hole in one. Your first shot. Of course a three on the card but that’s not the point for me. I’d consider it a personal hio

I would say HIO for the person that made it on their first attempt but it would be a 3 on the card

I’d count it as holing out for par after my partner duffed one in the water on a par 3. It’d make a cool story, but I wouldn’t call it a HIO. If you want to call yours a HIO, I’ll drink to that.

New twist as I've played alt shot both ways. Player A hits a tee shot on a par 3 OB, the second shot is the re-tee, and the third shot is taken by player A again. 3 for the score, but is is it a hole in one since its the person's second shot from the tee?

I mean it’s a 3 on the card, but I guess for the player involved, it’s a hole in one. I think if I got a hole in one in those circumstances, I’d be a little bit gutted (easy to say having made a hole in one LOL).

Either way, it is kind of a huge bummer. Feels like Rahm having to WD after a commanding 54 hole lead.

I'm claiming hole in one for the rest of my life. It's the first shot that person took on the hole and they made it in one shot. Seems pretty darn legit to me.

Tricky, but I voted no.

Even though there's a 3 on the scorecard, I'm claiming that as a HIO every day of the week. Team score might be 3, but I've stepped up to the tee box, hit it once and it's gone in. Personal hole in one without a doubt.

I'm agreement with all the people that say HIO but 3 on the card.

Let me ask it a different way to the people that said no. Let's say I'm a bad golfer and I get a pop on a par 3 shamble, my playing partner hits it within 3 feet we go off of his ball and I make the putt. So on the scorecard it's a 1, but it was my second hit. Does that count as a hole in one since it's a 1 on a score card then?

I find it hard to believe some of you would not recognize that as a HIO. Its got nothing to do with the score card nor the format. Thats just not relevant. Someone gets on the tee of that hole and holes it. That is a hole in one stroke....period, nothing else!
That person could and should claim they got a HIO. Id have zero issue recognizing that for the person. If you have an issue with it then i think thats your own problem.

Last edited:
As an owner of a hole in par, it's a par.

I'm agreement with all the people that say HIO but 3 on the card.

Let me ask it a different way to the people that said no. Let's say I'm a bad golfer and I get a pop on a par 3 shamble, my playing partner hits it within 3 feet we go off of his ball and I make the putt. So on the scorecard it's a 1, but it was my second hit. Does that count as a hole in one since it's a 1 on a score card then?
and thats one reason why the score for the format is not relevant.

Its an ace just not on the scorecard. It would be great story to tell

There can be an asterisk. but hey, it was their first swing, off the tee, and they sank it. Awesome shot. Would say it should be celebrated. Golf is hard. Even if it kinda has to be explained that it was technically a par, and it won't *count* as a hole in one, it was still that level of a shot and should be enjoyed as much as possible! That person would have an ace-level shot, just not as it counted on the scorecard.

what does that mean? are you saying this scenario happened to you?
I've had a hole in par.

In the alternate shot scenario from the OP, it's a par.

I vote hole in one. if off the tee, I am always going to count it.

I just wanna know why he said "Donny"?:rolleyes:

I've had a hole in par.

In the alternate shot scenario from the OP, it's a par.
lol im sorry but i still dont capture what your saying......when you state you had a "hole in par"?
is what you are saying,that this also happened to you? You holed a par 3 on the second shot of a team event? Your fist shot? but for the team it was just a par?

If so then you can of course decide to not count it as a HIO for yourself on a personal level , do what you wish but imo youd be doing yourself a huge injustice.
Just because you didnt score it a HIO on the card due to the format imo has no relevance to the fact that you holed on your first shot.

Back