Would you consider this your PB?

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Let's say your PB is a 78 on a par 72 course. You play this course below, which has a slope and rating, and shoot 66. Do you say your PB is 66, 5 over or stick with the 78?

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 11.49.33 AM.png

My initial thought was to immediately say the 66 was the PB, but looking at that scorecard made me reconsider. That's almost like a glorified executive course. I think 5 over would be the "correct" answer but it's entirely up to the golfer what they want to go with.

78, as long as it wasn't a course with a rating slope too low.

+5 for me.

I think I would go with a 78, based upon this one doesn't feel like a "true" course, I don't know if it's a gimmick course or not but it's only 4k yards not the usual 6k+.

You could always go with the "I shot a 5 over on an executive course and 6 over on a full (or whatever the right term is) course"

5 over.

Interesting, we had another thread about PBs, and I clarified them for my home course (78 from blues, 76 whites, 75 Reds). I still think the +4 from the whites was my best round, so guess I would stick with that one.

I would say my PB is +5

5 over.

I don't count my executive course rounds for my pbs. I have +6 and +7 in consecutive rounds on a par 60. My best round is an 84 in my opinion.

Probably +5

Five over. Still had to put the ball in the hole. Some of those par 3s are no joke.

But you can't go around saying your PB is a 66 with no context

I guess I’m in the same boat. My PB is +5, at a 72 and a 69. I absolutely say 74 is my pb cause it sounds way better than 77 or plus 5 LOL.

I'd say "78, six over, but I have shot a five-over 66 on a short course."

Similar question to everyone -- Let's say par on the course was a 68 instead of 61, and he shoots a 73. Does your answer change to him saying a 73 is PB or are you still saying +5? Basically a real course but I find these courses typically to be missing par 5 holes.

I tend to say my PB is “x over par”. In this situation, I would probably go with what Puttmaster said.

Ehhhh. I don't think I would.

Personal bests can happen in all forms. You have 2 PBs as a score or over/under par.

I like playing shorter courses, but when it comes to measuring my game I always use the par 70, 71, 72, and even the occassional par 73, I run into.

This course has a rating and slope for handicap posting, which reflects the par and length.

Similar question to everyone -- Let's say par on the course was a 68 instead of 61, and he shoots a 73. Does your answer change to him saying a 73 is PB or are you still saying +5? Basically a real course but I find these courses typically to be missing par 5 holes.
until it's, at least, a par 70 course my answer is 5 over.

The 78, that course is realllly short and very easy. The 78 has to be much better when it comes to net rating I would think, so I would stick with my 78 as a PB.

I might go with +5 but that score does probably have an asterisk. When I was younger I shot par for the first time on a par 72 course that was really easy and I always qualified my PB. Regardless you still have to get the ball in the hole so it is good golf.

I would go with +5 over as it is a number that "travels" well. That being said, my ultimate "low" was a -1 33 on a 9 hole course. I generally say my low is a -1 for a 9 hole course, 3 over on a par 72.

It is all relative, however, as we all know the myriad of differences among par 72 courses.

Back