Have you ever sworn off a course?

jfox789

2022 Budget Golf Champion & 2021 Dream Foursome!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Today I played a course which 8 years ago I said I would never play again and today confirmed that 8 years ago, I was right. Last time I played this course, it was raining sideways, and the course is already so hard, the LPGA took it off their list of courses. Too hard to be enjoyable and not even as a challenge (the Ocean Course in Kiawah, formerly rated the most challenging course in the country, was an enjoyable challenge, this course felt way harder). A new friend asked me to play today, and I thought I would give it a shot. I played really well, but I should not have gone back or have suggested a different course. This course plays nothing near its rating.

Have you encountered a course like this? What makes you say you're never going back?

Yup, there is a course that I will not name that is about 45 miles from where we live. We played it on a hot summer's day and not only were the course conditions amazingly bad, but there was no water on the course anywhere. I think this course was where the term goat track originated when referring to golf courses.

Anything owned by the Phil Michelson group. Turned courses to crap.

I don’t think I have ever sworn off a course.

Didnt even know there was a PM Group
2 courses in PHX area Ocotillo and McDowell mtn were ruined. Ocotillo wasn't good to begin with then it went horrid. McDowell was OK then got rough. Course conditions are bad and all about money with no service

2 courses in PHX area Ocotillo and McDowell mtn were ruined. Ocotillo wasn't good to begin with then it went horrid. McDowell was OK then got rough. Course conditions are bad and all about money with no service
Well he doesn’t have a stake in them any more. Troon took over and now Arcis manages those.

as for swearing a course off… @oumagic is your huckleberry.

There are two courses locally which I have sworn off due to poor course conditions. One is a privately owned public course which can not afford proper renovations to drainage and it's location on wetlands means it is unplayable for weeks after a heavy rain. The other is a state owned muni. They renovated the green complexes and tee boxes about 4 years ago and I briefly returned. The state does not put enough money into upkeep however so you are left with long fairway grass, huge swatches of hard pan and dirt, spotty grass in the rough, and bunkers ranging from cement-like to dirt sprinkled with sand that looks like winter road sand. Both courses are dirt cheap but usually not worth the money. The second course is also filled with college students and teenagers.

Oh I know McDowell. Used to be highly rated a few years ago.

There’s a 9 hole track here in MA close to the RI line that is just terrible. If they charged $5 greens fees that would be $4 too much. Zero drainage. No idea where the fairway ends and the rough begins. Holes that cross over each other with no clear indicators of where you need to go. I played it once on a day off and although I now work about 10 mins from it I will never ever go back.

There is an ownership group in my region that has bought a ton of courses and don't put the money back into maintenance except for 2 of their top tier courses. What about the other 25? Its a very affordable membership, but have refused to join so far due to their taking over courses and letting the conditions deteriorate.

I have, a couple in Va when lived there, there was one in the Panhandle of Fl and there is one here in North Texas that i will refuse a free invite

Never have.

Yup, a little 9 hole track about 15 minutes away because all the 'greens' had some variance of this going on:
1FB9D045-377E-41B7-987B-4C7DC8D4F3E7_1_105_c.jpeg4777645D-48FD-46EA-BF3F-54BD749F6F99_1_105_c.jpeg

I’ve got 2 courses near me that I have zero desire to play. One, is the course I grew up playing. It’s an old course and the current ownership has stopped putting money into it. It’s not a good layout and when it’s in poor condition, it’s just not fun to play. The other is in good condition and was totally redone a few years ago. It’s pretty long, even from the senior tees, with rolling fairways where side hill lies are the norm and deep, penalizing rough. A lot of guys enjoy challenging courses but getting beat up on the course just isn’t my idea of fun.

Yep the course we played our afternoon round at today. I won’t be back again…over priced rates, tried to charge us a significant amount ito use their closest to the pin stake, and poor management.

Matthews and Kaprisov showing off their hands and wild win the shootout.

Naa. I’m used to goat reaches so anything there or better is good to go. I play 98% of my rounds at 3 courses.

Course one is ridiculously overrated at 72.0/130. Its “6600” yards-well that’s why I thought I was was longer than I am, it’s not. It’s way easier then course 2,

Course 2 is 6200 yards and 70.xx ish and 117 (ish)-it was rerated this year and I don’t recall specs. But probably about true. I know it’s harder than 1 by a margin.

Course 3 , ha. 5600 yards. Fairly tight but some 4’s don’t even require driver. Rated 66.8./107 or something. Probably about right.

Well he doesn’t have a stake in them any more. Troon took over and now Arcis manages those.

as for swearing a course off… @oumagic is your huckleberry.
I swore off a course that starts with Las and ends with endas

I’m not sure I’ve actually sworn off a course but i can think of one in my region that hosted a major that’s really close to achieving that distinction. It is expensive. I have never played it without at least one temporary green in play.

I haven’t sworn it off, but if there’s anything else available I’m going there first. It’s really not a bad track. I enjoyed playing there. But it’s a goat track. They started charging as much as nicer courses. If I’m paying nice course rates, I’ll play at a nice course. I doubt I’ll give them a second look unless I want to record a repeat performance of a ridiculous flop shot I did awhile back.

Back