The Official 2021 - 2022 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

On another note, it looks like the salary cap is going to be raised by $1M next season. :unsure:

They should do away with the cap. I think the salary cap is immoral.

1639242335930.jpeg

Dead wrong crazy salaries has ruined baseball.

How has it ruined baeeball? The Yankees have one title in the last 20 years, and they've spent billions.

If you could just buy championships, they'd have 15 in the last 20 years.

From my pov, I'd rather see the players getting paid, than the billionaire owners lining their pockets.

I think the NHL salary cap is great.

If they want to improve the experience, close the gap on ticket pricing. Millionaires don't need their pockets lined just because other sports are out of control.

If they want to improve the experience, close the gap on ticket pricing. Millionaires don't need their pockets lined just because other sports are out of control.

Why is the NHL cap great? Why should McD get a quarter of what Scherzer gets, and Scherzer plays every 4 games?

As far as affordability, you can get cheaper tickets to MLB game than NHL game, pretty sure.

Why is the NHL cap great? Why should McD get a quarter of what Scherzer gets, and Scherzer plays every 4 games?

As far as affordability, you can get cheaper tickets to MLB game than NHL game, pretty sure.
I don't care what Scherzer gets paid haha - 12 million a year is an awful lot of money, not including endorsements.

You think it's a travesty that a guy signed a 100 million dollar contract and has sponsors paying him around 5 million dollars a year on top of that?

That's awesome.

That's what I said? :unsure:

It's not feasible to compare player salaries between leagues because none of them are close to the same when it comes to revenue from the gates as well as what they're making on TV deals. Those all come into play. The NFL and MLB have far, far more lucrative TV deals than the NHL does. Those deals feed back to the teams and then on to the players. The more money that comes in, the more money that can go to the players. Have way more coming into your league? Then way more can go out.

It's not feasible to compare player salaries between leagues because none of them are close to the same when it comes to revenue from the gates as well as what they're making on TV deals. Those all come into play. The NFL and MLB have far, far more lucrative TV deals than the NHL does. Those deals feed back to the teams and then on to the players. The more money that comes in, the more money that can go to the players. Have way more coming into your league? Then way more can go out.

In general I get it. But the discussion were getting at here is the salary cap.

And if it's between:

- Daryl Katz, whose net worth has gone up $1.6 BILLION since he acquired the Oilers '07, or..

- McD, who is just a regular guy, who I'm sure his parents just lived check to check to raise him

I side with McD a thousand times a week and twice on Sunday.

And if it's between:

- Daryl Katz, whose net worth has gone up $1.6 BILLION since he acquired the Oilers '07, or..

- McD, who is just a regular guy, who I'm sure his parents just lived check to check to raise him

The cap is directly related to revenues. You were comparing NHL players to those in other leagues, not players to owners. Two different arguments.

And if it's between:

Why are you comparing baseball to hockey? It's pointless.

Yankees revenue in 2019 was 683 Million.
Oilers revenue in 2019 was 137 Million.

I'd say the percentage between revenue to player salary is pretty solid sport to sport. Maybe you think the 40 million dollar pitcher is getting ripped off now?

The cap is directly related to revenues. You were comparing NHL players to those in other leagues, not players to owners. Two different arguments.

A cap (or lack thereof) is not contingent on a league's revenue.

But you're kind of misrepresenting what I said in the posts prior to this one. This is (paraphrase) what I said:

- I don't believe the NHL should have a salary cap. Included in that post I showed a picture of the salaries of the biggest draw in the NHL comparable to a guy from a league with no cap

- Then another poster implied I thought McD would be begging for change in the near future. (Not what I said.)

- I then said if it's between the players (like McD) and the owners (like Daryl Katz), I will side with the players on that one all the time. In that respect, I stand with the "little guys".

Are they "poor"? Not by a long shot. But If McDavid's services are worth, say, $25 million, then he should be allowed to seek those wages.

That's all I really said. Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I said what I wanted to say on the subject.

GO WILD :cool:

Time to snap this 4 game skid Edmonton!image.jpg

My boys are pumped! Die hard McDavid fans E45E1FEA-D917-4675-83FC-936A2F1ED38D.jpeg

Yo @Muchmore18 what got into the Ducks!? 2nd in the Pacific!

Yes to ticket pricing! Some rinks are insane looking at what seats cost.

Sneaky Leafs win tonight over Chicago. Mrazek looks a lot rusty…

Yo @Muchmore18 what got into the Ducks!? 2nd in the Pacific!
Few extra games played and we lost tonight with our first shutout of the season but they are a freakin blast to watch most of the time!

Not the game we were hoping for but at least the boys got their pic with the girls again. My youngest always asks to get his picture with them every game he has been too and was disappointed they were dancing with fans at the beginning of the game.B66474DC-6B8F-4507-95F5-C33B89515FBE.jpeg

Back